Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #31
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Re: Huge Cubera

Great fish and team work John and Rachel ! Congrats! Really enjoyed the video!

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #32
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

This...or I may add, w/o a mask and fins...like I've seen women do in Pacific Islands. How would you feel if you had those women calling you out?
Also, this PC BS sickens me. Everyone needs to toughen up and stop getting offended so easily. You'll always have brash aholes on both sides. That's OK, it facilitates ones' feelings/thoughts. Holding it in isn't good. Plus, it always brings about interesting conversations, ya bunch of Jackasses!
Edit: BTW, really liked your post too, JFJF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA_ARCHER View Post
The problem is this kavachi: Every sport out there has similar situations where certain people develop some sort of elitism. They think that if they develop some sort of more primitive way to stalk their prey then they are more special than those who do not persue the same prey in the same way.

The fly fisherman look down upon the lure and bait fisherman and wonder how they can consider their inferior methods as anything close to skilful.

The bow hunters look down at the rifle hunters and wonder how they could ever shoot something with a gun

oh and then the traditional bowhunters look at those that use the compound bow as inferior hunters.

its a tired and old argument, but if it makes you feel elite then by all means keep degrading the accomplishments of others. Just remember that while you apnea dive down and shoot a beautiful doggie with a precision speargun with a high handle and a double roller mech, there is some elitist snob degrading your accomplishment and saying you should have done it with a polespear.

Seriously though I think we can admire skill and accomplishment in all it's forms and levels.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #33
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFM-SharkTales View Post
Parker ride is great in moderate seas, with a 3-4' headsea the ride can be a bit rough! We love the boat!
Thanks for the feedback!
Yea, the amount of room in the rear is great. I guess it's ideal for a fair weather boat. I've never reconciled the cost of them relative to performance. I seems one has to pick there days for such. Congrats.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #34
Shotmaster

Great video!

The jealousy from some is very apparent. My mom always said success is the best form of revenge. The Europeans have much better designed spearguns, because they had to, all they have left to shoot at are bait sized fish in most places. The misplaced anger from free divers towards scuba should be focused on the commercial strip mining of fish stocks not on recreational taking of fish. If you want to protect fish stocks just make it so you can only take fish by rod and reel or spear. But wait, how would McDonalds be able to sell you a fish sandwich?
Shotmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #35
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Not only a douche but now we see a whiny one as well.Ignore button away. BTW fisheries management in the SE US is very fond of spearfishing on scuba being low on bycatch.Rec vs commercial ,rec guys will lose at the management level every time due to thier numbers and lack of accountability.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #36
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Very nice fish indeed and thanks for sharing.

It is unfortunate most places outside of the US have such poor fishery management. It drives much of the ilk in threads like this as posters residing from locations where trapping and unchecked overfishing have depleted stock rarely see the quality of fish we do here in the US.

Divers here taking great fish beyond their breath hold capabilities are just as much an accomplishment as any other method. Each method has it's own set of required skillsets and challenges and we all should appreciate such for what they are. We all love what we do and how we do it and that should be enough.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #37
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

I'm guessing Kavachi uses a speargun....Seriously????.....I free dive completely naked with only a knife in my teeth.....

by the way, great fish...cheers to you.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:46 PM   #38
SEATUX

Congrats SFM-SharkTales
That is a fish to be proud of!
Nice Going!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #39
FalconSpearo

WOW! What a beast! Thanks for the share! Hope you enjoyed the fish.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:02 PM   #40
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
on scuba

lose the tanks and YES, that'd be very worth posting
This is the one of the reasons MANY people I know quit posting catch photos - including myself.

I would like for kavachi to post some photos of his personal bests to put us to

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:08 PM   #41
Megabeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
This is the one of the reasons MANY people I know quit posting catch photos - including myself.

I would like for kavachi to post some photos of his personal bests to put us to
Quoted for truth.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:24 AM   #42
Gradyman
Man on a Mission...

First time on here in a long time...wow....things haven't changed much in regards to the bickering....

Great fish...congrats!!

If you lose your wealth you've lost nothing, if you lose your health you've lost something, if you lose your integrity you've lost everything.

When there is nothing left but God,you find out that God is all you need.

Our thoughts become words...words become actions...actions become habits...habits become character and it becomes our destiny.
Gradyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #43
FalconSpearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
on scuba

lose the tanks and YES, that'd be very worth posting
I really don't want to add wood to the fire but here's my two cents:

I have freedived my whole life. I don't think I will try scuba any time soon for a couple reasons, mostly centered around the idea of "fair chase" and I aways thought of scuba divers as being cheap and unskilled.

However, that does not mean that I don't appreciate the skill it takes to scuba down to 140 feet and spearfish. After watching the video of how they did it, it looks extremely scary and difficult. So many things were running through my head like "what happens when you shoot a monster and its takes off? You lose your gun? How long does it take to take the fish to surface because you have to decompress every so many feet while ascending while scuba, right? You have to defend your catch from so many big predators like sharks, etc? In case of emergency the boat is so far away..what do you do?" While I have the freedom of swimming 50-60 ft up for air without a problem. I am also not worried of spearing a wahoo when the spear is attached to a torpedo buoy and I can just get on the boat and chase it, pfft easy.

I think both disciplines of spearfishing are unique and should be admired from differently. Ever heard of "pick on someone your own size?" or "apples to oranges." You can not compare your achievements to anyone else specially when they are two different sports with a similar purpose. I used to run track and field in college and would it be right if I went to the 100meter runners and laugh when they cant run 10 miles like I could? I mean its the same thing right? We are both runners? We run on the same track? We are on the same team, with the same goals (to win races)? So why can't I make fun of short distance runners for not having my endurance? So please take this into perspective when trying to discredit someone's achievements. If you MUST go on the internet to insult others, please go pick on another spearo like myself and make fun of my catches. I am a freediver just like you, so go roast me for my little reef and pelagic fishes that I catch. I really won't mind.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #44
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Cool Re: Huge Cubera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradyman View Post
First time on here in a long time...wow....things haven't changed much in regards to the bickering....

Great fish...congrats!!
It's great to hear from you Len.

I hope all is well with you.

Tony
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #45
jadairiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by riplipper View Post
I'm guessing Kavachi uses a speargun....Seriously????.....I free dive completely naked with only a knife in my teeth.....

by the way, great fish...cheers to you.
You use a knife.....seriously???

I just use my teeth.....no fillings....
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote