Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:17 PM   #31
Snapperhead

Re: Because you cant drown a snapper....head

I had 10 boats pass me before one picked me up.
"I am a one-hundred-percent, made in Florida, dope-smugglin', spring-breakin', log-flumin', double-occupancy discount vacation. I'm a tall glass of orange juice and a day without sunshine. I'm the wind in your sails, the sun on your burn and the moon over Miami. I am the native."
-Serge Storms
Snapperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:00 PM   #32
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Fooook! How disheartening! Wow. This hits close to home being that I'm from the area. I couldn't imagine the hopelessness you felt. It sounds like it was approaching dark time before you got picked up?
Old 06-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #33
Snapperhead

Although the fact I evidently was on a popular heading gave me a faint glimmer of hope, I literally resigned to die. As i watched the SAR helicopter fade into an almost microscopic speck and fade in and out of sight , the only question was sharks or thirst. Worst feeling ever. Hot milf and her awesome friends picking you up and handing you a beer and a smoke=best feeling ever!
"I am a one-hundred-percent, made in Florida, dope-smugglin', spring-breakin', log-flumin', double-occupancy discount vacation. I'm a tall glass of orange juice and a day without sunshine. I'm the wind in your sails, the sun on your burn and the moon over Miami. I am the native."
-Serge Storms
Old 06-05-2016, 09:36 PM   #34
Snapperhead

My experience lasted from 1-6pm
-Serge Storms
Old 06-05-2016, 09:52 PM   #35
Marcus

OMG! Yes...I can only imagine/empathize....I'm sure you have a new perceptive on life. Seemingly, an experience like that makes you feel 'born again?'.
Seriously, thanks for sharing. Hopefully, this will inspire others to purchase location equipment, always have a float plan, and think about how selfish you are if you don't. I for one couldn't imagine the pain my loved ones would feel if something like this happened to me. I wonder if you'd survived if you didn't have your wetsuit. I know the water is rather warm that time of year...but 6 hours??
I'm so happy you made it. My god man, floating out their for 6 hours alone whilst darkness set upon you...ugh. I'm so happy you lived to tell the tale. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited by Marcus; 06-05-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #36
Snapperhead

I have a fiance whom I love with all my heart. Had I died, I would've left her with literally nothing. She's disabled and I pay all the bills. As I bobbed I had plenty of time to reflect that I'd never even designated her my benificiary. Ps, guys we have a sometimes dangerous hobby. If you have people who depend on you, make sure you have the proper paperwork I'm place. When executed safely our hobby is relatively safe, but as our tradgedies thread shows, horrible, freak, unexpected, and inescapable things happen. Dealing with guilt over ones estate is an unpleasant added burden while contemplating transitioning into shark shit
-Serge Storms
Old 06-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #37
Marcus

...once again, thank you for having the courage to share your story. I'm positive that you might very well save others a LOT of pain in their lives just by sharing your heart felt experience. Nature/the sea is an unforgiving force that many take for granted because one becomes complacent. I know I have taken it for granted in my life time after so many years. I'm not exactly young any more but your testimony has hit home...especially because you're out of my area. That's an eye awakening story that definitely inspires me to be more vigilant in making sure my loved ones aren't left in the dark due to my carelessness/inconsideration.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:26 PM   #38
Snapperhead

I was freezing in my 3mil after 5 hours. I was getting "tired" a lot. I kept my snorkel in my mouth. When I dozed off my head went back and it filled with salt water. It probably saved my life. Hats off to Eric on the pickled pelican. I bought my safety sausage (while muttering about the sissy weenie) because of him.
-Serge Storms
Old 06-05-2016, 10:32 PM   #39
Snapperhead

And yes I feel born again. Each day since has literally been a gift. My experience reminded me yet again that there is a God and He at least occasionally glances my way.
-Serge Storms
Old 06-05-2016, 10:46 PM   #40
Marcus

Normally, I wouldn't even be wearing a wet suit that time of the year. Incredible. Please share your story with others anytime it's appropriate. It will save other peoples' lives and the people that love them.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:46 PM   #41
CuzzA

I carry a 6 ft. and 8 ft DSMB. About ~$35 each from a local company (Piranha Dive MFG.) in Wesley Chapel. From the day I started diving I bought a canister for my ACR ResQLink+ PLB that I've always had with me on my boat. I also carry a mirror too, as it doubles for solo bubble checks and SAR signaling.

I recently did a 20 minute drift as I surfaced a 1/4 mile from the boat in less than ideal surface conditions. My whistle was useless. At the time I had a 4ft SMB and the 8ft., but I was so distracted keeping the Bulls (first shark encounter) charging me at bay and trying to signal the boat I deployed the 4ft. subconsciously knowing it was going to be useless as well. I held my fish for 15 minutes, before I was completely spent and had to let my stringer go. I finally got my lost at sea 8 footer deployed and still it took 5 minutes before I was spotted. Since that day I added a Dive Alert to my find me kit.

I can only imagine being a drift for 5 hours and I'm glad you survived. I imagine some guys may make some remarks about some of the safety gear I and others carry, but I really don't give a damn about someone else's ego. I owe it to my son and family to come home after every trip. I think it's silly when I get on several boards and divers brag about how little gear they carry or SMB's, pony bottles, etc. are for sissies. That's fine until you wish you had it.

I don't have the experience of some of you veteran spearos, but I at least have the common sense to research and listen to others. Big SMB's and Dive Alerts are essential equipment in my option. People die on the water all the time and they aren't even diving. Anything can happen. A busted through hull fitting and most boats will sink like a rock. I think it's a good opportunity to really advocate for guys buying PLB's and a canister. I bought a Custom Divers canister from George Caves who is the US distributor out of Seminole, FL. My total setup (PLB and Canister) cost me $300. I think ACR has a $50 rebate right now. It's cheap insurance and if you use the PLB for SAR and share your story with ACR, they'll give you a new one free.

Finally, I'll add to a couple things mentioned earlier as I do retirement, life insurance and estate planning for a living. I'm going to be rather blunt and certainly out of character of what you would typically hear if you sat down with me... If you have someone who depends on your income and you don't have life insurance you are being selfish and ignorant. People die. Jesus Christ himself didn't make it out of this world alive. Us guys are so typical of having a, "It won't happen to me" or a "What do I care, I'm dead", attitude. What a real shitty thing to do to the people we claim we love. Not to mention life insurance is dirt cheap. About the cost to fill a couple tanks once a month for a few hundred thousand dollars of tax free death benefit.

Second, your estate. I won't go into too much detail here. I'll link my website so others can read more, but nevertheless, if you don't get your affairs in order, someone else will and they're going to take a piece of your pie before your beneficiaries receive one dime. That's also assuming you didn't leave a giant cluster f to begin with. I can't tell you how many times I've met with clients and their plans were a mess. Ex wives still named as primary beneficiaries, no beneficiaries listed on retirement accounts, no guardians named for minor children, the list goes on. Often times these mistakes were made by the same "professionals" that were supposed to be taking care of you. http://www.jamesspicuzza.com/estate_planning

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but at the end of the day this sport isn't exactly the safest activity a person could chose to do, add spearfishing and the risk level just increased. Which is fine, we all love it and most of us recognize the risk involved and accept it, but I think as a whole community we can start advocating better practices and gear choices rather than the common tag I've heard of which is "unsafe egotistical Gulf Coast cowboys".

Snapperhead, I am in no way suggesting any of what I've said has anything remotely to do with your incident, I just felt like it should be said. I'm truly glad you were found and can dive another day, many others weren't so lucky.

Last edited by CuzzA; 06-06-2016 at 12:12 AM.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #42
Snapperhead

No offense taken. Good words sir. I hope me sharing my experience inspires others to take better precautions. Otherwise the ordeal was kind of a waste.
-Serge Storms
Old 06-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #43
alfa1023

I never dive without this: Charge it before each trip. Clip it (actually have two clips, one with a long landyard) to my BC.

http://nautiluslifeline.com/
alfa1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:18 PM   #44
fishkillapro

Can you post the full story? The coast guard article says nothing and this thread is so choppy with Q&A that I still don't know exactly what went wrong.

Did your crew lose you or did you swim a long way or what exactly happened here?
fishkillapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #45
Eibwen

Just found this old thread searching for info on where to buy a canister for a PLB. Good info and since it has been a few years I don't feel so bad bringing this one back to life as a reminder to myself and others how important having the proper gear is to make rescue more likely when things go sideways.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote