Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 06-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
pescadorrr

Water temp question for San Francisquito

Hey guys,

A friend and I have been planning a free dive trip down to the islands off San Francisquito.
We were planning on trailering a boat down and putting in at BOLA this weekend. It looks like hurricane Bud may have pushed some hot water up the Cortez.
Here are my concerns:

1. Based on my experience with really warm water around the islands of San Lorenzo, Salsipuedes, Guardian Angel, etc., it seems like once the water is over 72 degrees, most of the reef fish (cabrilla, grouper, etc) and even the yellows get out of dodge or go down way too deep for us. Can anyone speak to this? I have gone there two years in a row in June. 2013 it was great. 2014 it seemed like there were no fish. The water was super hot. We even saw 80 degree water in some spots.
3. Red tide. Does anyone know how far south the red tide goes?
4. At what temperature do the cabrilla start to go down?

I do know that there usually is a pretty good thermocline down arond the islands around San Lorenzo, but I am not sure if the typical upwelling and currents that keeps the traditonal cool water and reef fish around, will be enough to keep the hot hurricane water out. We just don't want to waste our time and effort to chase firecracker yellows and small quantities of reef fish in really green water.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Gracias
pescadorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
Xylophone

Re: Water temp question for San Francisquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescadorrr View Post
Hey guys,

A friend and I have been planning a free dive trip down to the islands off San Francisquito.
We were planning on trailering a boat down and putting in at BOLA this weekend. It looks like hurricane Bud may have pushed some hot water up the Cortez.
Here are my concerns:

1. Based on my experience with really warm water around the islands of San Lorenzo, Salsipuedes, Guardian Angel, etc., it seems like once the water is over 72 degrees, most of the reef fish (cabrilla, grouper, etc) and even the yellows get out of dodge or go down way too deep for us. Can anyone speak to this? I have gone there two years in a row in June. 2013 it was great. 2014 it seemed like there were no fish. The water was super hot. We even saw 80 degree water in some spots.
3. Red tide. Does anyone know how far south the red tide goes?
4. At what temperature do the cabrilla start to go down?

I do know that there usually is a pretty good thermocline down arond the islands around San Lorenzo, but I am not sure if the typical upwelling and currents that keeps the traditonal cool water and reef fish around, will be enough to keep the hot hurricane water out. We just don't want to waste our time and effort to chase firecracker yellows and small quantities of reef fish in really green water.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Gracias
I was in BOLA a week and a half ago, and the red tide was like diving in tea inside of the big island and about 2-3 miles south of the bay. Day 1 we went south about halfway to San Francisquito and the water was like at home, green and ~8' vis on top, opening up to about 15' when you dropped down to the bottom. Second day we went north and the water warmed up closer and vis was 40'+. H&L guys were killing it with the yellows though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOLA red tide.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	238445  
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
Olibaba

Re: Water temp question for San Francisquito

Hey Pescador- My friend and I are planning to go down to Bay of LA or Gonzaga this week as well (leaving SD thursday, and back home Sunday).

I am concerned about the water visibility as well. I heard the BOLA was filled with red tide, un-hunt-able last weekend. Even the northern tip of Isla Guarda.

I guess conditions are bit better up by Gonzaga but things can change quickly.

Like @Pescador... Any intel would be greatly appreciated. 2 of or 3 trips have been in 5 foot viz But the 1 good trip made up for that

Cheers,

Oliver
Olibaba is offline   Reply With Quote