Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Gabriel Thomas
Gabe

questions about Spearfishing in NZ

I am aware there is a thread similar to this, but I felt it would be better for what I am going to address to start a new one. I am new to spearfishing and this forum, am a Texan in NZ right now and have lots of questions regarding spearfishing. Ive got most of the gear already, I just am completely new to the whole thing, so dont laugh at my questions lol.
Is it safe and ok to dive alone? Where are good spots for going from the shore in NZ? Are shark encounters common in NZ? (south island is where I am right now). How many other people on this forum have spearfished in NZ? Is it smarter to go with other people?
Thats about all I can think of right now, will post any other questions I think of, I am in Blenheim working right now, here in a working holiday visa, will be in NZ until the summer here ends at least.any advice/answers will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Gabriel
Gabriel Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
laingfish

Re: questions about Spearfishing in NZ

im from blenheim NZ and would recommend using this forum http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums...z_forum11.html
lots of helpful people here who will probably take you out, you wont see any sharks in this part of the country and is lots of good shorediving places around here. diving alone is fine i wouldnt worry about it as no sharks and most places are shallow in the south island so you wont need a buddy
laingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
Gabriel Thomas
Gabe

Alright cool thanks, is white bay good? also, this is a complete newbie question but how far out from the shore should I go for decent sized fish? Thanks for the info man
Gabriel Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
laingfish

pm sent
laingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:54 AM   #5
doggiestyle

Hi G.T if you make it up to the Bay of Islands let me know and will get you sorted with a dive if you are keen.
doggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote