Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:33 AM   #1
CuzzA

Oceanic White Tip Shark Attack...

CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
Eibwen

Re: Oceanic White Tip Shark Attack...

WTF were those divers thinking? That shark wasn't scared by the bubbles these ppl were making at all. The shark was wayyyy too interested in plain ol' scuba divers and was closer than comfortable to many of them, yet they continued to just float around rather than leaving the area. None of them appeared to have any means of defending themselves.

Stupid. That shark should be killed. Guessing that is a popular scuba spot.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #3
Eibwen

After looking through the comments several people who have dove that spot said they weren't surprised b/c of the behavior of sharks (or a shark) there. It is a protected area and people aren't allowed to dive with knives, etc (not that a knife would prevent a bite in the first place)
Old 11-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
CuzzA

Nah, I wouldn't want that shark killed. It was a white tip shark dive, common for that area. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

That species will eat you. No different than a white. If you're going to dive with white sharks, you'll eventually have a similar fate.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
Eibwen

White tip sharks are the ones that show up to eat survivors of shipwrecks so yeah, it is kind of their thing. Not sure what to say if it was a white tip shark dive other than I agree with you.

It doesn't make sense to me that the shark was so close to the divers except that it had been conditioned by feeding. They're not on surface, splashing around. A conditioned shark is a dangerous one.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
CuzzA

I don't think it's even a condition of human feeding with that species. They will eat you. Should I ever run into a white, oceanic, mako or big tiger, I'm getting out of the water and moving elsewhere.

Here's an old story of a couple white tips eating the author's buddy in front of him.

https://www.undercurrent.org/blog/20...-shark-attack/

I know one tried to bite one of our fellow board members, though that shark is no longer with us.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #7
Eibwen

Holy sheet. Intense story that is
Old 11-12-2018, 03:54 AM   #8
Sea_Bass

Not a single Alpha in the dive group. Where was the leader/instructor? The shark was testing the group on multiple passes. Nobody stepped up. So the shark took an easy bite. Had one diver made a stand, a charge, a poke, a thrust, anything .... the shark probably would have left them alone. Watch the video again with this in mind, and you can see the shark doing its litmus test.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #9
Powers
Dad

Wow. Not a minor injury. Wonder what came of the diver.

The shark had violated the human/wildthing boundary twice already before the bite. Not a good sign. I also never like to see a shark change altitude at abrupt angles like this one did several times. Seems like most of the unfriendly shark encounters I've had have included dramatic depth changes leading up to the aggressive behavior. The shark's swimming speed was mostly leisurely, but that fast tail pump at the beginning of the video seems to initiate the change in the shark's mindset. It's almost as if he was testing to see how the divers would react to his behavior. The posture and pec fins also look flexed the entire video, though I don't know anything about this species.

Immediately before the attack, the diver in the spring suit seems to charge the shark at full throttle. That diver seems to have noticed the uncomfortable behavior and chased the shark, trying to show the shark, "I'm not a food item." The shark went straight to the diver who was broadside and bit the leg.

All that said, I don't know if any of that behavior would have scared most divers out of the water before the shark made up its mind, especially on a sight-seeing non-spearing SCUBA dive. Or, if you even would have made it to the surface before the shark took action.

There are shark attacks where you can easily see that mistakes were made by the divers that enticed the shark to action. The divers in the video are considering their technique, surroundings, depths, dive times, etc. They are reviewing their computers, etc. I just get to sit here at my desk and watch. There's no way to know if there were other indications before the video starts. This one feels more like it might have happened no matter what.

My heart goes out to the attacked, the dive operator, and all involved.
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #10
CuzzA

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the guy lost that leg unfortunately.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...13822598893241
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	46049006_2213822602226574_8824486604325257216_n.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	240362  
Old 11-12-2018, 10:42 PM   #11
Powers
Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the guy lost that leg unfortunately.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...13822598893241
Wow.
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #12
sharkbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Nah, I wouldn't want that shark killed. It was a white tip shark dive, common for that area. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

That species will eat you. No different than a white. If you're going to dive with white sharks, you'll eventually have a similar fate.
So where is this popular dive spot?
Old 11-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #13
HARVESTER

Kaboom! People are too passive or patient in the wild world under the surface. That shark would have been neutralized and everyone out of the water on my boat. Two guys on the dive would have zeroed the shark and gave benefit of doubt one time.
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:42 PM   #14
Eibwen

More footage of the same dive spot 2 weeks prior to the shark attack documented in video by OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA3lQLNQVkA
Old 11-14-2018, 06:08 AM   #15
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

I'm wondering if this is either Ras Mohammed National Park near Sharm El Sheikh or Hurghada - both in Egypt.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote