Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #76
jstiver09

Re: Coated cable from catchalltackle.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA_ARCHER View Post
These cut through the cable with ease and are lower profile than other trauma shears being considered the mini version. I have not tried to see if they cut through a penny as fast as regular trauma shears.

They also come with a sheath.

http://www.spearfishingworld.com/mini-sea-snips.html

Those won't cut that cable very many times before they start loosening at the hinge and dulling. I have tried a few pairs. Better to get a heavier duty pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #77
jstiver09

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
These look interesting, just found them while looking for something else.

http://lmrtackle.com/boone-stainless...-6-pliers.aspx

I'd hate to be trying to get the cable into that tiny cutting slot in an emergency.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #78
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstiver09 View Post
I'd hate to be trying to get the cable into that tiny cutting slot in an emergency.

Yes, I was wondering about that too, but the larger jaws may be up to chopping through the thinner stuff. The main thing with cutting tough line materials is the jaws don't spread laterally and let the cable run through them like an "S" form and thus stopping the cut. The closer to the hinge for the cut then the better for leverage and stopping the jaws spreading apart. You can see this design feature, with a very substantial hinge, on heavy duty cable cutters which are unfortunately too big for taking with you on a dive.

Braid scissors cut by the serrations stopping the line sliding in the jaws and creating that "S" form, but that will not work on cable except maybe when the scissors are new.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:24 PM   #79
SEA_ARCHER

Quote:
Those won't cut that cable very many times before they start loosening at the hinge and dulling. I have tried a few pairs. Better to get a heavier duty pair.

I guess it depends how many times you need to cut the cable. I just tested my shears on the 1.7 benthic and the lighter catch-all stuff as well as the 1.4 stiff Aussie line and got about 30 cuts before they no longer cut well. They still cut after that it just takes 2-3 tries (still much faster than a knife). They dull and loosen up after that. As far as loosening it is easy to tighten them up with a few small taps on the hinge with a 3 lb. sledge on the vise or anvil. They cut the 1.4 stiff benthic aussie line easy and the 1.7 and 1.2 coated cable. All cuts took under a second to make which is much better than a knife, for all of those lines. Also it does not matter whether the line is under tension or not.

There is one downside...it is strictly a right handed tool for me. No go on cutting anything one handed with my left hand. If you are ambidextrous then you may have more success.

Of course all shears are different and your mileage may vary. The mini ones have smaller finger holes so if you have big fingers or use thick gloves, buy the larger size. I have both sizes. I bought them to test them out and because they have a nice little pouch that slides right onto my weight belt.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:09 PM   #80
SEA_ARCHER

Quote:
Better to get a heavier duty pair.

I am tempted to get the ones you linked in the other thread that are titanium coated and keep them as a sharp pair for diving emergencies only
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:42 AM   #81
spearq8

I tried "the mother of all scissors" and it seems to cut everything really well. I bought these scissors from Twinline USA a few years ago. They cut anything and really cleanly. I use them to cut kevlar, dyneema, mono ... even cable works well. They are also the best for cutting rubber bands. I actually bought 10 of them as those things would disappear so quick as any of my friends that would try them out ... would borrow them and I would never see them again ... I am down to 4 and not sure how long that will last. Only problem is they are not SS and so I don't think they will survive saltwater well. Something similar in SS might be good.

https://estore.twinline-usa.com/prod...evlar-scissors
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #82
Red Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I tried "the mother of all scissors" and it seems to cut everything really well. I bought these scissors from Twinline USA a few years ago. They cut anything and really cleanly. I use them to cut kevlar, dyneema, mono ... even cable works well. They are also the best for cutting rubber bands. I actually bought 10 of them as those things would disappear so quick as any of my friends that would try them out ... would borrow them and I would never see them again ... I am down to 4 and not sure how long that will last. Only problem is they are not SS and so I don't think they will survive saltwater well. Something similar in SS might be good.

https://estore.twinline-usa.com/prod...evlar-scissors
Yes. These are the Clauss Kevlar ones that I recommend as well. I bought 5 pair and am down to 2 pair. Hahahah!! I bought them for cutting my hollow braid spectra at an angle so that i can slide it under my slip tips and into my splicing needle. They are the best rigging scissors of all time.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #83
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tide View Post
Yes. These are the Clauss Kevlar ones that I recommend as well. I bought 5 pair and am down to 2 pair. Hahahah!! I bought them for cutting my hollow braid spectra at an angle so that i can slide it under my slip tips and into my splicing needle. They are the best rigging scissors of all time.
Ladies and Gentleman! looks like we have a WINNER for the 'Cutting Cable at 20 metres whilst conjoined to an XL Doggie' award
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:13 PM   #84
Red Tide

Myth Busters Red Tide Style:
https://youtu.be/eZt0Lz-NxJw
Old 04-23-2017, 10:15 PM   #85
jstiver09

Coated cable from catchalltackle.com

Thanks GR. Can you post the link/model # to those cutters again?

Edit: nevermind, I found them a few posts above.

Last edited by jstiver09; 04-23-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:04 AM   #86
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tide View Post
Myth Busters Red Tide Style:
https://youtu.be/eZt0Lz-NxJw
Yeah ... those suckers are amazing!!! You should have put up how easily and cleanly they cut bands as well! They are the perfect spearo scissors and everyone should have them. I found some also made in SS, but not sure if they are as good as the carbon steel one.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:04 AM   #87
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

thanks for taking the time to do the vid GR !
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:47 AM   #88
Red Tide

Quote:
Yeah ... those suckers are amazing!!! You should have put up how easily and cleanly they cut bands as well! They are the perfect spearo scissors and everyone should have them. I found some also made in SS, but not sure if they are as good as the carbon steel one.
Hahahah. I know, but the nearest bands were connected to my gun. They cut bands like butter too

Here is the link to the model you want to buy:
http://www.claussco.com/product/8091...23174%3B_Shear

Kevlar Shear
Old 04-24-2017, 07:12 AM   #89
spearq8

Yeah ... but these are not SS so corrosion could be a problem. Twinline has them at a much better price ... at least I think they are the same

https://estore.twinline-usa.com/coll...evlar-scissors

I ordered the same brand in SS also, let's see if they are just as good as the carbon steel

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #90
Red Tide

Quote:
Yeah ... but these are not SS so corrosion could be a problem. Twinline has them at a much better price ... at least I think they are the same

https://estore.twinline-usa.com/coll...evlar-scissors

I ordered the same brand in SS also, let's see if they are just as good as the carbon steel

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The ones you ordered are the ones that some of the other guys have ordered with poor results. I have not tried them but guys on spearing forum have.
I found the best price on Amazon. $10 plus $3 shipping. They are worth 3 times that amount in my opinion.