Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 01:45 AM   #16
danaslayer
Patrick

Re: Careful out at the paddies

Very humbling video. Wow, this makes you really step back and take a reality check. I learned a lot from the video and comments. Thank you for posting this.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:07 AM   #17
diver pat

Great work! Well done!

FYI - the rescuer shouldn't ditch their belt if at all possible. If for some reason the person being rescued sinks, without a belt you can't help
diver pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:24 AM   #18
Avenues

Wow, sobering indeed. Watching him descend with his head back and eyes wide open just seconds from never being seen again is pretty chilling, I can only imagine what it feels like for your friend to watch this video.

Thanks for sharing, it would be great to have some perspective from your friend as to what happened exactly. Was he distracted from his dive time following a fish? How long had you guys been out diving at this point? This could happen to anyone, watching this clip makes me glad I coughed up the dough for a FRV…
Old 07-31-2014, 07:57 AM   #19
roosterman9

Thanks for posting. Congrats on saving his life. Everyone can say what should have been done differently, and that is how we learn,

But bottom line is he went home to his family. Nice job!!
roosterman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:01 AM   #20
black pearl

Impressive save. Good lessons. As a firefighter paramedic I can't stress enough good rescue breaths and continuos CPR. Thanks for lessons
black pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #21
Canyon

Great save, impressive how composed you remained, which is very important.

Your last phrase says it all.
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #22
jtully

Wow... Thats some heavy footage. Good work man. I definitely need to rethink my dive plan...
Old 07-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #23
joshrau

Send a message via AIM to joshrau

Glad everything worked out.

One lesson people have pointed out is that we should not be negatively buoyant on the surface even with a full exhale. I weight myself so that the top of my mask is at the surface with a full exhale. This puts me neutral around 20 feet. Just a thought for the future.
joshrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:26 AM   #24
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte

Wow, it made me cry. Good for you. You should get a medal. Can you fill us in on what happened once the video stopped? Did he start breathing on his own once he was aboard? Kinda crazy when the last guy on the boat jumped in the water. You all could have had a very long swim ahead of you. Not saying he did the wrong thing but am glad it all worked out well.
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:39 AM   #25
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Yikes! I just took a FII course with Mark Lozano and we spent a lot of time working on different rescue scenarios and good technique for rescue. I am very glad I have that skill set now. Glad everything turned out ok.
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #26
crittergetter

Thank you for sharing your video. As you mentioned, it was very important for us to see. I am very happy for him and all involved that he made it!
Old 07-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #27
washington1

Great composure in a VERY heavy situation. A sobering reminder of the dangers of our sport. Thank you for putting this up here.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:24 PM   #28
Bob Ballew

Great discussion...in any type of bluewater diving, you should be buoyant the last 10' to the surface where a black out is most likely to occur....I have to kick a little harder to descend but, the positive is I can quit kicking at 15' and just drift to the surface, saving energy and the last of my air...plus, I am neutral at 30-35' where I can see up and down.

just a remnder: that in the ocean, your life is measured in half-seconds, not seconds or minutes........
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:29 PM   #29
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
Great discussion...in any type of bluewater diving, you should be buoyant the last 10' to the surface where a black out is most likely to occur....I have to kick a little harder to descend but, the positive is I can quit kicking at 15' and just drift to the surface, saving energy and the last of my air...plus, I am neutral at 30-35' where I can see up and down.

just a remnder: that in the ocean, your life is measured in half-seconds, not seconds or minutes........
I don't wear any weights or weight belt when I'm diving blue water. But the key is to be weighted properly if you're going to wear them....
Old 07-31-2014, 01:28 PM   #30
crittergetter

Most everybody that mentioned he had way too much weight needs to evaluate their own buoyancy without a breath of air in their lungs on the surface. I am sure he was positive on the surface, with air in his lungs. Since the tendency is, as you are experiencing loss of motor control and consecutively blackout, to breathe out most if not all your air on the way to the surface, your focus should be to be positive on the surface with all your air dumped out of your lungs. This is difficult to do when you seek neutral buoyancy at shallower depths. In those situations, when you black out you will sink out like he did. Even if you are positive on the surface with all your air dumped, without a freediver recovery vest, you will likely "bob" with your face down, in which case you will still likely drown if you are diving without a dive buddy.