Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
kywestfreediver

Send a message via AIM to kywestfreediver
Sinus problems

I'm looking for some advice on how to cure this problem. I had a cold a week ago, and i have a lingering sinus problem. I have taken musinex for 4-5 days now and that cleared up my congestion, but when i try to equalize i get a sharp pain in the corner of my eye by the bridge of my nose. I'm gonna be in the keys for a week and i can't stand being on the boat fishing the whole time and at some point i'm gonna be dying to get wet.. Any ideas??
kywestfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
Relapse

Re: Sinus problems

iodine.
Relapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
Relapse

:d
Relapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:16 AM   #4
norcal

I have had this same problem for some time now. it is a very sharp pain and it is in my forehead and behind my eyes. I have found that the only thing that works is sudafed, advil, and nose spray. i have seen doctors and they cand figure it out either. good luck and let me know how you do...

Jeff M
norcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:48 AM   #5
kywestfreediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relapse
iodine.
Am i supposed to put it on a swab or something and up the nose or what?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
jadairiii

Don’t screw around with this, just go see an ENT and have it checked, you may have a lingering sinus infection that may not go away on its own. I totally *****ed one of my sinus cavities that same way and was out of the water for months and it is still a lingering problem 10 years later due to the damage done (on just one dive).

John
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #7
Noah

I get the same thing after a really bad cold, usually a sinus inf. I used to have to get heavy duty antibiotics but have begun using claritin D, Flonase(prescription spray), and on the days I dive, some hardcore nasonex(don't use the nasonex too much it'll burn your sinus' up). Since beginning this I haven't had any more probs. Good luck!
Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
kywestfreediver

I went diving today, or atleast tried. I made it down easily in 25ft, but on the way around 10ft from the surface i had like a reverse blockage type thing, where my nose made a squeeking sound that was accompanied by sharp pain at the bridge of my nose. So it has somewhat gotten better, but still not good. I'll try the Nasonex probably b/c i am going diving Saturday most likely scuba though so i'll only make 3 drops or so.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #9
rigdvr
Im a diver, not a thinker

I had reverse blocks for years and finally had to have surgery to cure the problems. I could always equalize on the way down but squeeled like heel on the way up. Sometimes I would be stuck at an imaginary dive of like 30' for hours after getting out of the water until the pressure would release. I almost quit diving because of it.

If this is new to you, you probably have a lingering infection and need some heavy antibiotics. Dont push it because you are creating scar tissue by forcing yourself to dive. I had blocked up most of my sinus passages from years of diving through the blocks.

There is a sinus flush kit that helps me alot and it is available at most drug stores. I highly recommend it. Im in the keys as well right now so let me know if I can help you find one. I also have some extra nasonex.
Mike