Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Old 04-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #16
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Towing a Freediver - Techniques?

Quote:
Originally Posted by florfreediver View Post
Marcus, how the hell do you whistle whilst being towed, especially with a snorkel in mouth

Regards,
Mike.
lol, fair question. I have one handed whistler capabilities. BUT, a simple signal via tug...tug...sends the same sort of signal to driver to look back and understand your desired wants via hand signals you display.
Sometimes, even the middle finger is appropriate. Of course, sometimes hilariousness ensues.
Quote:
Deaf Jokes – Motel

A deaf couple check into a motel and go to bed early. The wife wakes her husband in the middle of the night complaining of a headache. She asks him to go to the car to get some aspirin from the glove compartment. Groggy with sleep, he struggles to get up, puts on his robe, and leaves the room to go to the car. He finds the aspirin, and with the bottle in hand he turns toward the motel. But he cannot remember which room is his. After thinking a moment, he returns to the car, places his hand on the horn, holds it down, and waits. Very quickly the motel rooms light up… all but one. It’s his wife’s room, of course. He locks up his car and heads toward the only room without a light on.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #17
HurricaneBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by florfreediver View Post
Thanks for the various suggestions.

However will continue with my quest to find a one handed tow technique.
I believe the "saddle: analogy will be the way.

I will try one of my RA floats tied on and held between my thighs.
Together with a handle or knot in the tow rope, strategically 2-3ft ahead of the RA float, may prove the answer. Or not.

Hopefully I get a chance in too distant future to try it out and report back.

Marcus, how the hell do you whistle whilst being towed, especially with a snorkel in mouth

Regards,
Mike.
You might want something more neutrally buoyant than a RA float if you're trying the saddle idea. I've seen how a RA float acts when towed behind a boat and you'd be in for quite the ride.

Almost think if you had an older RA float you didn't mind sacrificing for the purpose and could cut off the back end and remove most of the foam inside it would be perfect.

With a polespear you can loop the band around your shoulder and still hang on, I'll usually have a polespear and my lobster noose looped over my shoulder while being towed - takes a bit of getting used to be once you figure it out it's nice to have everything with you so you don't need to wait for the boat.
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:53 PM   #18
florfreediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneBK View Post
You might want something more neutrally buoyant than a RA float if you're trying the saddle idea. I've seen how a RA float acts when towed behind a boat and you'd be in for quite the ride.
Thanks for the comments.
I have had just about all of the RA floats over the generations. Inflatables, foam filled and new lifeguard float style design
You are correct about the action being erratic. Jumping about, going under etc etc.

Do assume though that when you saddle one under a 210lb lump, like myself, they may behave more consistently. I actually cannot forecast what the action will then be like.

Mike.
florfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:16 PM   #19
Unspearable

The thought of the SPORTSSTUFF Sumo Tube, or the SPORTSSTUFF Gyro seem to keep popping in my head. I want to see a clip of someone actually using either of these. Neither seem like they would be fun.
Unspearable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:16 PM   #20
OBLIGATED

https://youtu.be/mVcL7mhcuNA

Someone has a cool dad.

I was thinking of possibly a tube of pvc 6 inch schedule 40 x 5ft long with a attachment for a rope(possibly quick release like gliders have) small wings on front to go up or down and a cross member tube at the rear to "saddle"?It would be cheap enough to experiment with.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #21
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLIGATED View Post
I was thinking of possibly a tube of pvc 6 inch schedule 40 x 5ft long with a attachment for a rope(possibly quick release like gliders have) small wings on front to go up or down and a cross member tube at the rear to "saddle"?It would be cheap enough to experiment with.
I think that idea might have some legs. You wouldn't be able to saddle the cross member due to the amount of drag, but you could stand on the cross member. Need the rope attached about a 1/4 of the way from the front. One could easily attach clips to the rear of the tube for speargun/lobster net/etc.. The wings on the front would be a little tricky.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
Old 05-01-2018, 09:39 PM   #22
OBLIGATED

Could get a aircraft wing tip tank(lightweight)and pull that with two divers.The sound of money rushing away!
Old 05-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #23
agbiv
Spear, cook, and eat fish

Don't forget to attach some REALLY BIG treble hooks to your belt in case something wants you as bait!
Old 05-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #24
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbiv View Post
Don't forget to attach some REALLY BIG treble hooks to your belt in case something wants you as bait!
I make sure my toe nails are painted sparkly pink before I get towed. I also chum with a steady flow of glitter mixed with shrimp juice as I go. YOLO!
Old 06-15-2018, 05:39 AM   #25
Mikel_24

On a serious note, whatever you do, make sure you can let go easily without relying on any complicated motor skills. No tying anything to you directly, no wrapping your hands arround any rope, belt, etc... Play safe!

And then post pictures, or better yet, a video!
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #26
barnaclebill

A good way to tow a freediver is put a crab float ball between your legs and you can hold on with one hand, a diver I met when I moved here 25 years who was a good friend of Ray Odor showed me that.
barnaclebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:09 PM   #27
Mendicant

Has anybody ever tried putting a camera on a stick and placing it down into the water and having a video feed onto the boat? That seems easier to me than actually having to put humans into the water.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #28
florfreediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaclebill View Post
A good way to tow a freediver is put a crab float ball between your legs and you can hold on with one hand, a diver I met when I moved here 25 years who was a good friend of Ray Odor showed me that.
Thanks Bill,
That is the technique I was shown and subsequently used myself. Not quite 20 years ago but not too far off.
This is what I was I was referring to in my thread starter.

I was hoping it may have evolved over time but instead it appears to have been almost forgotten.

One of the nice aspects of using this technique is that it easy to release the float ball. It also does not tire your arms out.
I was thinking someone may have commercialized the idea. Probably not enough users though.

When I do the Bahama trip next spring, I will try again.

Regards,
Mike.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #29
florfreediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendicant View Post
Has anybody ever tried putting a camera on a stick and placing it down into the water and having a video feed onto the boat? That seems easier to me than actually having to put humans into the water.
Hi Mendicant,
I am sure that has been tried by now and would not actually be surprised if someone somewhere has not semi-permanently mounted a camera under their boat.

It would need to be a good lens system though to show as much as you see with a mask and snorkel.

Thanks,
Mike