Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #781
mainphrame

Location: Your so called secret spots and places your momma wont let you go to!
Re: Malibu Conditions Permathread

Any words on the driving conditions for tommorrow. I have been seeing special event postings all week on my daily commute to Samo.

Also gonna hit up 3 spots if anyone is interested, pm me.
mainphrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #782
SurfNSpear365

Dang, that's a haul SpearNSurf.

I had another fun dive today. 15-20ft vis. Water felt really warm. Took 3 goats but not before I had a run in with a very large 7 gill shark. I'd estimate it at about 8ft. Took a couple jabs with the point of my spear to convince him he didn't want one of the fish on my stringer. Second encounter like that I've had with sharks at that spot this summer. So far I'm still undefeated at 2-0.
SurfNSpear365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #783
jdeirmend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alashaman View Post
SPOILER ALERT: For the new guys

If don't want to know where all the lobsters are in malibu do not read the following.

If the place your diving has a nice parking lot, a shower, a store, easy stairs right to dive site, is listed in the top 3 when you google 'best dive sites in malibu', is a place your Scuba instructor took you on your certification dive, is commonly referenced by name on spearboard, people from out of state know what your talking about when you mention it, AND when you look out at the dive site and see a commercial trap every 10 feet... your probably not going home with lobster from that location

I had someone ask me where I get lobster... I told them I hike all my gear 400 yards up the beach and then kick out 500 yards... they told me I was crazy and they would never do that... and I reminded them... that's where I get lobster LOL
This is gold. I am lazy, and between lifting my ass off during the week and my screwed up sleeping habits, I usually can't be bothered to put so much work in. But even if you don't go to the extremes Alashaman describes, the principle holds: it pays to explore different spots, to look in odd places where many wouldn't think to go.

I will add one other thing. Be safe. If you're not sure if you can handle putting this kind of work in, or the sort of deep dives John is probably doing, ease yourself into it and go with a buddy who knows whatsup. Many will lack the fitness or experience necessary for it; those to whom this doesn't apply still need to exercise caution and sound judgment.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #784
Scottywotty
Long Beach Neptune

Hey guys,

I'm lookin for vis and game reports for Malibu, Please PM me w/ any info.
I haven't been up that way in probably over a year! Don't get to the Bu
much anymore, Miss it,

Appreciate any info!

Thanks!

Scotty
Old 11-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #785
SurfNSpear365

Here's a fresh report for ya, Scotty.

Dove today around lunch time. Left the gun at home and went pole spearing since my freezer's pretty packed.
Encountered numerous calicos and goats. Bait was everywhere. 30'+vis on the outside. Easy top to bottom vis but felt chilly.

Took my biggest pole spear calico yet- 24.5".

Go dive if you can. Water's looking gorgeous everywhere right now.

Last edited by SurfNSpear365; 11-11-2013 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Roommate snapped a better picture.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #786
TopSpearo

Dove two spots today west of Dume from 11am to 3pm. Nice visibility top to bottom on the inside. Tons of bait and some nice schools of perch and some larger fish worth shooting. Very surgy.
TopSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #787
Eric5187

Planning on going out before work on Tuesday around sunrise. Wasn't able to make it out this weekend and am hoping for the good conditions I've been hearing about. Any pros or cons going early in the morning? Thanks!
Eric5187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #788
possum
Possum

I'm heading to LA on the 16th for a week or so and i want to spend as much time in the water as possible, i have never speared malibu but i grew up in the west side and can borrow my dads car when im in town. i have all my own gear and was an apnea dive instructor in thailand, so i should be able to keep up. im looking up what the fish in the area and goin on google maps to scan the coastline but diving with someone who is experienced will be much appreciated and ill buy lunch.... thanks
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #789
arice

I got a late start on things yesterday and the wind was on the spot I wanted to hit so I went and dove the kelp beds off Malibu Point. Vis was surprisingly good for that spot and it was nice to explore, but there was nobody home except for some perch and a short lobster. I even spent a good amount of time scouring the sand channels on the inside looking for a flattie. No luck.
arice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #790
Spear n Surf
Waterman

Heading out this afternoon on the high tide in North Malibu, I will let you all know how it goes...
Old 11-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #791
sdDive

dove yesterday, nice viz on the inside top to bot viz, but really mirky on the outside. it was starting to go bad fast towards the afternoon. still great day of diving took some friends home. It was good while it lasted, finally some decent conditions in the bu.
sdDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #792
SurfNSpear365

Got out today East side of Dume. Vis was 10-15 but lot's of particulate in the water. Saw a monster sheepshead but couldn't get in range to stick him with my polespear. Kickin' myself for leaving the gun in the car. Managed to get a couple mid size sheepshead and my first lingcod! Pretty stoked- they're as tasty as they are ugly.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #793
tommy3492

may go out tonight for a lobster dive.. moon is full.. anyone want to meet up down there let me know.
tommy3492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #794
possum
Possum

I just arrived back in town an cant wait to get wet. tommy i tried sending you a message but am not sure if you got it, im all packed and ready to go tonight. well ill be around for the next week and will be in the water every day if anyone wants to join me there more than welcome and i definately want to do a night dive or two(just not solo). tomorrow morning im going for a mini dive my name is brett and number 310 663 7810
Old 11-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #795
possum
Possum

had a great morning session. was on my was to Malibu but stopped off to check out a few rocks sticking out of the ocean. I nailed two fish with one shot one of them was a decent sized sheep head and the other I threw at an otter. ill be going again tommor morning if anyone is keen

multiple personalities ensures I never dive alone