Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Mask protecting tip and mask design gripe

It sucks showing up to a dive with a broken dive mask. I am amazed the number of masks out there that have plastic buckle supports that can easily break.

e.g. My Sporasub mystic is a fantastic mask (fit and field of view) but like many masks out there, the strap buckle supports are its weak point. So, when I bring my mask traveling or on a dive, it is always in a box (yes, I learned the hard way). That is a bit of a PITA as I have to remove the snorkel first and the box is bulky.

Other masks like the Omer Alien are also great masks and the buckle supports can lay flat against the mask. One less thing to break (buckle supports) and it packs even smaller as you don't need a bulky mask box.

For masks like the Alien, you can stuff them in a fin foot pocket which gives it some protection. That is really handy as I like a compact dive kit.

So, why aren't all masks made that way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (12).jpg
Views:	155
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	235142   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (11).jpg
Views:	210
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	235143   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (13).jpg
Views:	192
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	235144  
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
hydroid

Re: Mask protecting tip and mask design gripe

I love the fit and field of view on my Mystic but it's not very durable at all, the frame has broke once and the unit which holds the buckles cracked also. Last time I sent it back, they sent me a new one that looks like it may be improved. Hard to beat the old Cressi SuperOchio which I keep as a backup.
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Re: Mask protecting tip and mask design gripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosstnfound View Post
It sucks showing up to a dive with a broken dive mask. I am amazed the number of masks out there that have plastic buckle supports that can easily break.

e.g. My Sporasub mystic is a fantastic mask (fit and field of view) but like many masks out there, the strap buckle supports are its weak point. So, when I bring my mask traveling or on a dive, it is always in a box (yes, I learned the hard way). That is a bit of a PITA as I have to remove the snorkel first and the box is bulky.

Other masks like the Omer Alien are also great masks and the buckle supports can lay flat against the mask. One less thing to break (buckle supports) and it packs even smaller as you don't need a bulky mask box.

For masks like the Alien, you can stuff them in a fin foot pocket which gives it some protection. That is really handy as I like a compact dive kit.

So, why aren't all masks made that way?
Our most popular mask (for freedivers and scuba divers) is the MAKO Minimus mask.

Plastic buckles are most vulnerable when they are affixed to the plastic mask frame. When the mask is thrown around and abused,
the buckle often gets the brunt of the abuse and it is vulnerable because it is protruding from the frame.

The MAKO mini, uses a different type of construction which makes the buckles (nearly) indestructible.
The buckles are not attached to the frame at all, but rather to tabs on the side of the mask skirt.

The mask can actually be folded almost flat without damage, which should make this mask ideal for tech divers
who want to carry a compact, back up mask in a pocket.

If the mask is dropped on the side, the skirt will fold inward and the buckle is unaffected. At first glance this might make you
nervous about attaching the mask strap to the skirt rather than the frame, but we have had an
EXTREMELY low rate of returns/failures. You don't need a massive buckle to hold a mask to your face that weighs
just a few ounces. Buckles break by the mask being thrown around and stepped on or crushed - not by diving.

If you are looking for a new mask, consider the MAKO mini. It fits a large majority of people and if you don't like it for any reason,
return it and I will issue a refund. You will love the mask or I'll take it back.

Oh yeah, it comes with a free plastic box.

Dive Safe
Dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/Minimus...Mask-p/mmm.htm

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote