Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Old 04-18-2020, 05:55 PM   #1
StukNotAnchored

Ok then...

So you are moving to a third world (politely: developing) country where you will stay 6 months or so a year.
Your boat will be a 22-44 panga, fairly light.
Fuel is roughly $5 per gallon now, in good times. I imagine the price will only get worse. The trip to the reef is a mile or 2 at most, depending on where you go.
There are no sophisticated marine shops or dealerships on the island. There are competent mechanics (you are also capable). The engine will be completely rebuilt before you leave (assuming used is the way you choose).

What engine do you want to have?

Be specific as to the engine and why. This is my plan and my boat mechanic and I are going to over some pluses and minuses. Looking for good ideas, hopefully backed with experience. At first blush a carbureted two stroke seems like the way to go (brand, year, etc... open) but tell me what you think.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:03 AM   #2
Sea_Bass

Re: Ok then...

What country? In Costa Rica the most popular were Yamaha Enduro 2-strokes 65hp tillers. I was told they are stupid reliable and easy to fix/maintain. That won't push a 44ft panga though, lol. I would look into 2-strokes and tillers.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:38 AM   #3
StukNotAnchored

supposed to read 22-24 ft panga. Not 22-44. That is huge.

THe country is Belize. Specifically, San Pedro Island.

I am figuring that I can keep to one engine if I limi to 24 foot. Even then it would be over 100 horsepower. Tiller steering is not possible.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
StukNotAnchored

Bump
Old 04-20-2020, 03:27 AM   #5
Sea_Bass

I've been to Belize recently. Most of their panga's were similar to Imemsa's (narrow, no floor, tiller motor, small HP engine 2 strokes). Why are you saying no to tillers? My buddy has a boat in Mexico and hasn't been able to find an "able mechanic" to fix his wire/cable steering. It took him over 6months to get the parts in, still not fixed.

For short trips, expensive gas, and no parts/mechanics - it would be foolish not to go small hp 2 stroke tiller. All the locals use this.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:22 AM   #6
florfreediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by StukNotAnchored View Post

I am figuring that I can keep to one engine if I limi to 24 foot. Even then it would be over 100 horsepower. Tiller steering is not possible.
IMHO It would not need to be over 100 HP. We had a 25ft Imemsa Panga which operated more than adequate with a single 70 HP Yamaha.

Be safe out there.

Mike.
florfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #7
StukNotAnchored

Thank you. These comments are the input I was looking for. On all my trips, I have been pamgas with bigger power (a 28 had twin 200s even). I do want a more "civilized" boat with a deck, helm, etc.. but these comments gave me options to consider. I am wondering if the local boats are heavier because they are hand laid up, unlike Imensa (which has Yamaha's manufacturing prowess behind it for a lighter hull.