Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
dahunter
That kid past the rope

Send a message via Skype™ to dahunter
Going to Hawaii

So I'm going to be in Hawaii from April 10-17 at the Kannapali Beach Resort. Just wondering what kinda gear i should bring and what to expect such as water temp, size of fish, local restrictions, limits, and fish i can't shoot. lol. Also if you live in that area and need a dive buddy pm me & we can exchange info.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Sean E
Is it paddy time yet?

Re: Going to Hawaii

Dang we will miss each other by a couple weeks. I just booked tickets for me and my wife april 29th. We will be in that area as well. I just posted a thread basically asking about the regs too. I have found some info already on it googling and whatnot. I will send you any solid info I find.

As far as weather, it will be nice. I can't speak as a local, but from what I know April is usually around low 80s, water mid 70s and some light rain.
Sean E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
dahunter
That kid past the rope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean E View Post
Dang we will miss each other by a couple weeks. I just booked tickets for me and my wife april 29th. We will be in that area as well. I just posted a thread basically asking about the regs too. I have found some info already on it googling and whatnot. I will send you any solid info I find.

As far as weather, it will be nice. I can't speak as a local, but from what I know April is usually around low 80s, water mid 70s and some light rain.
yea i posted up this and right as i did i saw your one. i posted a pretty useful link in ur post tho, hopefully it will help
Old 03-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

You might just for shits and giggles try the SEARCH function.

I really have a difficult time believing that every single person going to Hawaii is incompetent to the point of not being able to look for a little info to narrow their overall thoughts and ideas.

But then again, who am I kidding??
Old 03-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

But to humor myself, expect to use a euro gun, between 90-110CM in length. Use a reel, not a floatline. Expect water temps to hover around 74-77 degrees. Size of fish varies wildly by reef and diver ability, as well as luck. Expect to shoot fish under 10 lb for the most part. (Hell, expect to shoot fish under 2lb for the larger part of your stay.) Bright colored fish tend to all be very good eating. Basically if you can spear it, you can keep it. I believe lobster is closed in April. Expect rain every day. It rains a lot in April, but it's still nice out. Look up the fish in a book or 2, look online at HSD. Pay attention to everything that is not an Ulua in the pics. You will see a lot of fish once you know what you are looking for.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
dahunter
That kid past the rope

im sorry, i forgot to search once again, but i was also asking if anyone in that area needs a dive partner
Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
mikeyp

bring your 3mm surf suit, be prepered to dive deep to find any kind of decent fish on that side, cook your fish whole, get yourself a nice 110 or 120 euro, most fish taste good, the meat eaters might make you sick. goggle Ciguatera
mikeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
freeride
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyp View Post
bring your 3mm surf suit, be prepered to dive deep to find any kind of decent fish on that side, cook your fish whole, get yourself a nice 110 or 120 euro, most fish taste good, the meat eaters might make you sick. goggle Ciguatera
A ciguatera test kit is a great thing to have so you can shoot and cook some Roi.
freeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #9
Bob Ballew

one thing to be aware of...there are strong currents at times...use caution on how far offshore you swim or your next stop could be Japan if you miss the end of the island..also, if you go down for some coral and start pounding...stay alert...the reef tips will come in and check out the noise.....they can get pretty aggressive...been there, done that....
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #10
Ascendv6
Barón Rojo club de buceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahunter View Post
So I'm going to be in Hawaii from April 10-17 at the Kannapali Beach Resort. Just wondering what kinda gear i should bring and what to expect such as water temp, size of fish, local restrictions, limits, and fish i can't shoot. lol. Also if you live in that area and need a dive buddy pm me & we can exchange info.
I did a bunch of free diving off the beach in Kaanapali 6 years ago. This was before I was spearing. I was out the at the end of Feb. The humpback whales were everywhere! It was incredible hearing them underwater. The diving I did off the beach was just simply amazing. The vis was pretty much unlimited. The coral and sea life was fantastic. From what I understand the Roi are pretty thick there. You should whack as many of those as you can! As other have stated, check out HSD.com. You can probably find a partner there.
Ascendv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #11
dahunter
That kid past the rope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascendv6 View Post
I did a bunch of free diving off the beach in Kaanapali 6 years ago. This was before I was spearing. I was out the at the end of Feb. The humpback whales were everywhere! It was incredible hearing them underwater. The diving I did off the beach was just simply amazing. The vis was pretty much unlimited. The coral and sea life was fantastic. From what I understand the Roi are pretty thick there. You should whack as many of those as you can! As other have stated, check out HSD.com. You can probably find a partner there.
hsd.com?????
Old 03-09-2011, 12:46 AM   #12
Ascendv6
Barón Rojo club de buceo

http://www.hawaiiskindiver.com/

Not really HSD.com!
Ascendv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #13
dahunter
That kid past the rope

ohhhhh
Old 03-09-2011, 12:52 AM   #14
carlsbadspearo
Kyle Faust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahunter View Post
hsd.com?????
hawaiiskindiver.com

Kyle Faust
carlsbadspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:31 AM   #15
JTFspearo

careful how you approach things on hsd. there are some people(most forums anyways) that are sensitive to their hunting grounds. that being said, my brother and family are gonna be in kaanapali that exact same time flying out of oakland.

heres a checklist;
3mm suit
mask, snorkel, fins, booties
belt, knife

when you get out here, there is a shop where you can rent weights, a float, tag line or even fins, and if your cool, maybe a gun. like others said though, and i'll say it, unless your a deep diving pimp spearo, forget about nailing da fishes out here, their above average intelligence and it's way different out here than in cali.

you'll have a kickass time just diving in clear water and working on depth and technique out here. its pretty amazing underwater here. aloha
JTFspearo is offline   Reply With Quote