Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #61
Fishfood888

Re: visibility conditions in monmouth county

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOcean View Post
The stargazer and trigger were both about 22''. Stargazer was about 7 lbs. Both, the biggest I've seen of that species.
That's a monster stargazer....good eyes and nice shootin' Tex.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #62
Jhento

got in today and it was stuffy at the thermocline but when you went down it was about 10 foot. little jelly fish. but overall a good day, my buddy maxed out on fluke, got his personal best 28 inch/8.1lbs and found a hundred dollar bill in the water (treasure) blacks and fluke no trigger today though.

hopefully it stays nice through the week
Jhento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #63
GoNavy

I was in Deal again this weekend. Vis was good. Probably 6-10 feet depending on where you were. Noon-3pm.
GoNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #64
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

This morning..........>10ft vis but only down to 8ft water any deeper and the vis just got continually worse until I had a hard time seeing the inside of my mask........tried to find some good water elsewhere and deeper but failed..........ended up staying on the inside of a popular jetty hunting fluke yet again and its getting old fast Shot 5 fluke 20-24'' then headed in and saw a doormat buried right next to where I was about to take my fins off. Should have kept an empty spot in my limit I would have liked that fish I'm pretty done with fluke I'm thinking. I'm just about out of ways to cook fluke that I really like

Sidenote......I dug a big stargazer out of the sand just for kicks and the thing rocketed directly up into my mask hard enough to make me think twice about ever doing that again hahahahaa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flukeofix.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	177381  

Last edited by TriggerNJ; 08-20-2012 at 03:16 PM.
TriggerNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #65
Jhento

sweet, gonna hit the sunset dive today hopefully get some
Old 08-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #66
Dberry78

Hit some Monmouth Jettys this am, vis was great in a few sheltered areas but quickly changed to horrible in most of the good sections of the rockpiles. Over the rocks was crap and a few sandy areas around the end of the rocks was somehow clear in patches on the bottom, after swimming through 12 feet of nasty brown water. found only a few fluke, maybe 5, probably because I couldn't fluke search the good spots due to crap vis. But one I did find was an absolute monster, solidly bigger than my 7 pounders, who took off while I was turning the gun on him.

Oh and ps, I was in swarms of slammer 36 inch bluefish, to the point it was getting scary. Hundreds of the things, just swirling around me. I was keeping my fingers tucked close around the gun so I wouldn't end up getting chomped. Popped 3 for shark bait, then left because they were freaking me out circling me like piranhas by the hundreds in 3 foot vis.
Biggest of the 3 was 15 pounds even, smallest 14.6

Dberry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #67
NJPoleSpearo

Dberry, those are some nice fish. How was the overall vis and what tide did you go at? Im trying to get one last good day of diving in before i to go back to school.
NJPoleSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #68
Dberry78

Got in at bout 10am right at high tide. Good on the sheltered sides of the Jettys, past the end it got worse but Still divable though with clean water patches around the rocks. Then the tide started moving with a north->south current and the water turned light brown and horrible 2 foot vis, with a few cleaner patches around the sand. Not good at all though by then. And like I said it was kinda creepy in the brown water surrounded by hundreds of chopper blues nearly bumping into my mask. Moved to the cleaner sheltered water just so I could see em coming. Hundreds. Never saw anything like it. All over 10 pounds and they were around me for an hour till I got out.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #69
Jhento

nice. i got in after work and was able to get a nice black and saw some fluke,
saw couple trigger too. also saw blues. a lot of activity

again, stuffy up top but when you dove down it opened up to 7 foot or so (varied in spots)

wanna get a cobia, ha.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #70
Dberry78

Hour before high this am, water was crappy enough around the rocks that I didn't bother suiting up to find out what I already knew. Water is gonna suck.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #71
G MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerNJ View Post
hunting fluke yet again and its getting old fast Shot 5 fluke 20-24'' then headed in and saw a doormat buried right next to where I was about to take my fins off. Should have kept an empty spot in my limit I would have liked that fish I'm pretty done with fluke I'm thinking. I'm just about out of ways to cook fluke that I really like
Might have to post this quote again come January-Feb... Bro, spear the house down cause the season there will be finished in the blink of an eye Nice fluke and great photo.

Dberry, good session and pic of the bluefish. We get the same exact fish as the bluefish here on the east coast of Aus (called tailor here) but for some strange reason, they don't grow to anywhere near the size of Bluefish from the east coast US? A ten pound tailor would be considered a stud fish and an exceptional capture. If done correctly, smoked tailor is very good eating. I remember those larger size NJ blues, and the fillets had way too much bloodline/dark meat flesh that had to be trimmed off- cause awful to eat. Bet sharks would think otherwise tho..
G MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #72
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Quote:
Might have to post this quote again come January-Feb... Bro, spear the house down cause the season there will be finished in the blink of an eye Nice fluke and great photo.
This is very true! Still have trips to the blue to look forward to and the bright side is I can feel the ducks coming with each cooler night One way or another I find a way to get on the water to keep me just shy of full insanity
Old 08-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #73
Rzasharp

Vis was pretty good in Monmouth on Sunday! Made it out with a couple spearos from the area and blasted some fish

Took home my personal best fluke and trigger in one day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 8.21.12 043 (2).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	177463   Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 8.21.12 046.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	177464  
Rzasharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #74
Fishfood888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dberry78 View Post
Hour before high this am, water was crappy enough around the rocks that I didn't bother suiting up to find out what I already knew. Water is gonna suck.
NoMoCo: We went out today....water was clear in spots but the ground swell turned most of the spots into a washing machine. Sheepies were all over the place.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #75
Burnz
People for Kaboat

[quote=G MAN;1704581]Might have to post this quote again come January-Feb... Bro, spear the house down cause the season there will be finished in the blink of an eye

Yea and lets not forget about those of us whose season is already over! You bastard!! HAHA

Burnz is offline   Reply With Quote