Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
Eibwen

Eat'n sharks

Let me start by saying I am all for proper conservation but FWC does regulate sharks as part of fishery. I've read that shark meat is excellent and bull sharks are up there in terms of good eat'n.

I've started to like the idea of throwing down a live & bleeding grunt/etc once back at the boat after a bully has been circling me. With a proper rig it would be a great H&L fight and I'd have plenty of shark steaks for family & friends. They just have to be bled right away & then gutted and put on ice and there should be no issue with ammonia flavor.

Anyone try doing this before? Thoughts?
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Eat'n sharks

Yea, they make very good table fare if treated right. Matter of fact, the smaller ones I've prepared into fried nuggets, my kids thought it was chicken.
The bigger ones need a little bit more preparation. You've got to steak them and let it air out the ammonia in the fridge before freezing/cooking.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #3
Shootinfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Yea, they make very good table fare if treated right. Matter of fact, the smaller ones I've prepared into fried nuggets, my kids thought it was chicken.
The bigger ones need a little bit more preparation. You've got to steak them and let it air out the ammonia in the fridge before freezing/cooking.
This^^^^
Old 11-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
los mentirosos
Dave Mote

If you stick to the smaller sharks I think you will enjoy the meat alot more than the larger ones. Bigger sharks I have attempted were very tough/chewy. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #5
OBLIGATED

Before you had to bring them back whole and could spear them I would shoot sharks that were taking my fish.
The quicker you get them skinned and gutted the better.Beer batter shark n chips and some big hushpuppies in a turkey fryer makes all the neighbors happy.
Drop a bonita head down and bring up the sharks.Catch some Cobia and then a shark.
Gaff the mouth and after dispatching the shark cut the jaws out.Toothless sharks dont do much damage when they come back to life in the boat.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

We do a lot of shark fishing around Cedar Key and Steinhatchee. The areas are loaded with them and are great sport. We do eat them and have a way of preparing them that might be of interest.
Some of my favs are black tip, Atlantic sharpies and smaller bulls. I'm not fond of nurse or tiger.
We start the process along side of the boat. I have a noose that we slip over the head and tie off to a cleat. The shark is bled down as quickly as possible. The method that we use to bleed is omitted but rest assured that it's quick and effective. This bleeding removes the urea that gives off the ammonia oder and taste.
We filet the slabs down to grouper finger size and vacuum bag them.
Before cooking, we defrost and soak for several hours or over night in whole milk, not 2 per cent or any other.
Batter and deep fry or bake, grill to taste. Your lips will fight over them!!