Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #31
ltwolf8

Re: Is it worth it? deep wrecks on tech

Fatal Diving Accident Caught on Tape - YouTube
ltwolf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #32
Murk_Man'22

that was tough to watch. you could see every single step. If that video dosn't do anything for "you"; luck will only save you so many times.

Murk_Man'22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #33
waterpirate

Trimix cert
manifolded 100's
1 stage

Yesterday I did 45 minutes on the hydro atlantic, hardly a bounce dive. Getting back on the boat in solid 6 footers with the occasional 8? Now that was a bounce.
Eric
waterpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #34
ltwolf8

That question really was not directed to you. You just said you did a 45 min dive...... Single tank? doubles? depth? bottom time? how many fish did you stone? please explain more bout your dive.

bounce dive
1. also surface oriented dive: In commercial diving, bounce diving is the alternative to saturation diving. Any dive where the diver is decompressed directly after the dive.
2. In recreational diving, a bounce dive is a descent to maximum depth and then a direct ascent back to the surface with the minimal bottom time, in a dive profile resembling a spike.

That is what someone diving to 230 on a AL 80 is doing, if they even come back....
Old 02-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #35
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

You kinda coming off like a dick pal.

Speeding, not wearing seat belts, driving on I-4... Lots of things in life are dangerous but every person has a different opinion of acceptable risk. Just because you buy the information your instructor gave you (he has a direct monetary gain but I'm sure hes honest) doesn't mean that we do. Ive dipped below rec limits a "few" times, normally in offshore sinks and ill be damned but i didn't spontaneously implode when my head cracked 130.
You may want 130s, 7ft reg hose, three lights, 2 computers, spare mask, dry suit, He, stage bottles, scooters and safety divers but I'm just fine with my 13 cu-ft pony and an 80 of air. Give me a plb and I'm care free as a orca... Point is we all think different and calling people stupid because they walk closer to the edge than your is not the way to make friends in the tech spearfishing section.

Welcome to the board lol.

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Burg John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #36
ltwolf8

I just follow the rules dude, scientific rules. Never said your head was going to exploded at 130, but the point being, I asked to explain a dive. If you think i am being a dick your being to emotional. I agreed with Eric, so who am I being a dick to? The fact that someone dives on a single tank of regular gas blend to 230 feet is dangerous if not deadly.
Why should I not listen to someone who Teaches me at a University? they do not get paid shit for my tuition, so your monetary gain claim is tossed out the window. My instructor was taught by Don Dibble, if you do not know if his name, you need to read more.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #37
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

My point is that everyone has different rules, 130 isn't the magical one size fits all max rec depth, i can ndl down to 180 and the only thing that changes is how narced i estimate myself to become.

I said kinda being a dik and that doesn't make people want to answer your question. The people your kinda being a dik to are the guys who dive deep on singles, not unheard of in this sport.

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Burg John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #38
ltwolf8

okay fair enough...
Old 02-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #39
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwolf8 View Post
I just follow the rules dude, scientific rules. Never said your head was going to exploded at 130, but the point being, I asked to explain a dive. If you think i am being a dick your being to emotional. I agreed with Eric, so who am I being a dick to? The fact that someone dives on a single tank of regular gas blend to 230 feet is dangerous if not deadly.
Why should I not listen to someone who Teaches me at a University? they do not get paid shit for my tuition, so your monetary gain claim is tossed out the window. My instructor was taught by Don Dibble, if you do not know if his name, you need to read more.
Wow! Don Dibble! He was your instructor's instructor...That is really impressive.

Apparently you have trouble recognizing when you are being a dick. I made this post just to help you recognize what it looks like..
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #40
ltwolf8

Come down to Texas big boy!!!!! Teach you how to ride like a cowboy!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #41
waterpirate

There are alot of different paths to deep water. The point is you need to learn and understand the whole depth thing to make an informed choice about how to conduct your dives. Real tech training is not a cult. It teaches you that what you thought you knew, may or may not be true, and goes on to explain how best not to kill yourself.

In clear warmer water, hot dropping and bounceing deep to get it done is a viable practice. In colder darker water it is not. 2 paths, 2 techniques, 2 different enviroments, neither one is right or wrong. The sad part is people still die, regardless of the method. Underwater is not our natural enviroment, mistakes are usually not foregiven lightly.

I hit 163 fsw in the engine room, traverseing to the machinists compartment. 45 minutes was the bottom time. Saw the resident goliath grouper on exit, several hogs, and a grouper. I am down here site seeing the deeper wrecks, not shooting.

For pictures of my work on my home turf offshore o.c. MD search the southern atlantic forum.
Eric
waterpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #42
ltwolf8

Thanks for your reply Eric, once again, I was not talking to you originally, I agreed with what you were saying on the first page of this post. So I do not know how we started butting heads? but I am sorry I came off like a dick, I simply asked a question about what certs. they had and that I stated I thought it was crazy and explained my reasoning's. Thanks for better explaining your dive...

"You dont know what you dont know"

Thats why people ask questions, and I get jumped for it, because I was reasonable.

Thanks Eric
Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #43
jadairiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg John View Post
My point is that everyone has different rules, .....
The same rules of physics apply to us all. The choice comes when you either stack the deck in your favor for returning safe or "hope" that everything goes right with no realistic back up. But if given the choice on the boat to come back or not come back, I doubt any of you would “choose” the latter.

Go back and search all the memorial threads, you may notice a trend.
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #44
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Rebreather divers?Overweight guys?They seem to die a lot compared to the general population.

No one has claimed deeper bounces are safe that I could see,just feasible.

I dive mix past 200' but I do hundreds of dives a year in the 150' to 180' on singles and using air or lean nitrox.As do quite a few buddies and as long as certain"'rules" are followed there is a high expectation of survival.The things that have been problematic causing DCS and several fatalities is time on the bottom and gas mix.

Longer dives seem more likely to have DCS.More exposure to risk as it's decompression THEORY not subject to absolutely rigidly defined parameters and the more you infuse the more any idiosyncrasy in your body's ability defuse is exacerbated.

It is imperative that gasmix is checked,marked and visible.Rearmount pony/deco bottles with rich mixes is pure jackassery unless the reg is so different it's impossible to confuse.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #45
ltwolf8

Thanks thats all I was saying, and I got ganked for it!!!