Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-14-2019, 12:37 AM   #1
jaxwax
average joe

Bad DFW check this season

Sharing a bad experience with CA DFW that happened last year so that it hopefully can help other divers that find themselves in the same shituation

Last Nov. 2018 an hour+ into our dive and it's about 10PM, the two of us limit. Just like we always do, we measure each others bugs and recount to make sure we are in the green before we return. Start swimming back to the boat and see DFW boat already tied off to ours. They watch us whole time as we return and board our boat. They ask to see our paperwork after all that checks out, next we are asked to handover each of our bags to them on their boat [which gunnel's was at our head height]. At this point its all good, nothing we haven't done so many times before.
After 25-30 mins they are done measuring our two bags and as they are handing them back we hear "ok here you guys go, we had 1 short".
I look at my dive partner with mirrored shitty grins, ah what a joker this guy is. But he is not joking. Next he holds up with two fingers a f##cking tiny bug. A TINY BUG. Not exaggerating here. We are just floored, this can't be real.
Remembering I gave as much of a fight as a deer in headlights looking back. They took many pictures of the shimp cocktail and showed us. It was nearly an inch short I signed my ticket, they drove off.

Forward to March 2019. I go to court to fight it, dfw doesn't show and case is dismissed. This ticket was $500 which will get reimb

Here is what I've learned from this:
a. Will never again allow my catch to leave my possession. They must measure them in front of me. I have no problem allowing them to board me and complete their business
b. I'm a naive af person. No more being naive af. Too much trust was left in the hands of them that night. Never again

Still support the department and yes I know there are good guys on the force. I've been checked so many times and out of all those times nothing but good things to report. But, the honeymoon is over
jaxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
Lompoc Local
Errin

Re: Bad DFW check this season

Gotta avoid those breakwalls dude!

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
Bob Ballew

...Assuming everything you say is true, did you file a formal complaint with F&W? All law enforcement agencies have an Internal Affairs team that investigates citizen complaints. Go into their office if possible, to file, and always submit a written complaint; within the letter, request it be included into their personnel file. If they receive enough complaints about a rogue officer, he will soon be looking for other employment.
... Myself, I always say, "welcome aboard" and have never had a negative interaction in the 50 years I have been boarded numerous times. Their job is to protect your resources and the majority of officers deserve our full support. When was the last time anyone on Spearboard mailed in a letter of commendation for their efforts, in good weather and bad? I encountered one officer in pouring rain, staked out at midnite trying to catch a local abalone poacher at Catalina. The next morning, my letter was enroute, commending his above and beyond effort to protect our resources.
...My kid was boarded twice in one nite last week. I suspect the second time was due to his verbal bad attitude about them, "interrupting his fishing while wsb were on his fish meter"...(hey, thanks to dad's poor upbringing, the kid is a diehard fish catcher)…
...In short, he failed the "attitude test", also called,'contempt of cop'....No matter what, always show a good attitude and the majority of contacts will also turn out good....but, what do I know after 56 years of chasing elusive fish all ove the ocean... ... Also, knowing ALL the rules will save you grief...ex. filling out your card on the spot before you start diving. Waiting till later can get you cited...etc, etc....another good idea: file 1/32 to 1/8" off your gauge to ensure you never have a barely "clicker" bug whose shell can shrink in dry weather and provide a "gotcha" scenario....enough preaching...old fart is off to get a cup of coffee...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-15-2019 at 01:32 AM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:10 PM   #4
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte

I gave up fishing in California. That part of my life is over now. The costs and risks became too high.
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Schulte View Post
I gave up fishing in California. That part of my life is over now. The costs and risks became too high.
LOL

More slugs for me!

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #6
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte

Thatís fine. Iíve had enough glory at this point
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:39 PM   #7
NaClAddict

Bob, you are technically breaking the law by diving with a wider gauge. Abalone divers have been cited for this. It’s very realistic to think this could happen here with lobster. I’m always friendly and cordial to DFW but cannot say this has always been reciprocated. See Carrasco’s story, unfortunately they’re not always good guys.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:08 PM   #8
jaxwax
average joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
Gotta avoid those breakwalls dude!
Hah. Don't have to be at any of the walls to get checked up on

South OC was underwater thought I saw a seal in the distance. End up being an agent following us underwater without a light on
Old 03-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #9
jaxwax
average joe

Bob, I was happily well on my way to having the same story as you some day with nothing but positive experiences. Somehow I thought being extremely responsible about the rules and always being overly courteous to the agents would keep me immune to the drama scene. Sunshine and f##ckn rainbows. I was wrong. That's what I meant about being naive to the evil out there and don't want to happen to others. Again, I still believe most people are good and no f the police type...yet

Old 03-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #10
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwax View Post
Hah. Don't have to be at any of the walls to get checked up on

South OC was underwater thought I saw a seal in the distance. End up being an agent following us underwater without a light on
WOW..that's RAMBO!
Your kidding,,,Right???
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #11
jaxwax
average joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
WOW..that's RAMBO!
Your kidding,,,Right???
Yes total ramboo. He about gave me damn heart attack though. We both heard the boat [that dropped him off] in the distance and thought just a typical passing by vessel. When he finally surfaced next to me and IDd himself. Told me he was watching us underwater for the past hour to make sure we weren't messing with the commercial traps in the area.
Impressed and still trying to get my HR back down, gave him a high five before he swam off. That was a positive visit like many before him
Old 03-14-2019, 09:04 PM   #12
LookPointShoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
another good idea: file 1/32 to 1/8" off your gauge to ensure you never have a barely "clicker" bug whose shell can shrink in dry weather and provide a "gotcha" scenario....enough preaching...old fart is off to get a cup of coffee...
Only a good idea if you also carry a proper gauge.

29.05 (c) Measuring Devices.
Every person while taking invertebrates which have a size limit shall carry a device which is capable of accurately measuring the minimum legal size of the species taken.
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:45 AM   #13
Bob Ballew

I doubt there is an officer out there who would cite for making a gauge more than legal and any judge would immediately dismiss the citation if an officer was stupid enough to try it....but, like everywhere these days, some in positions of authority, aren't the smartest cookies in the box...There are some cheap aluminum gauges that are too small due to the stamping process compressing the edges inward...it is always a good idea to measure it yourself and like me, consider making it definitely legal by a quick hit with a file.....like my wife says, "Big is always better".....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-16-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #14
mikelb

Mine told me its the "motion of the ocean" or something like that. Maybe she's just being nice to me.........underappreciated Mike.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:16 PM   #15
rnln

OMG. I wouldn't even imagine before I read this thread
Thanks for the info.
rnln is offline   Reply With Quote