Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 438 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #991
sbsurfer

Re: California Dive Boats -- the legend of Radon (pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmunger View Post
Tues on the backside of Cruz there was some major Coastie action. I got hovered over twice by this big ol' chopper and then they spent most of the day flying real low and slow up a couple of the canyons back there.
Heard they think there might be 2 more suspects from the CG fatality that they think are on the island. Lots of LEO action out there right now.
sbsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #992
Sierra Bravo
I drive boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugz View Post
Thanks Surfbum, PM sent
If you are planning on buying a Wilson, be careful. Depending on when it was built and who it was for, you could run into some serious problems. I could talk all day on this subject so if you want the particulars jut pm me.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #993
sbsurfer

Since we're discussing Wilson's any one know a little about this one? Seems like it would make a decent little island hopper...probably a wet ride but atleast it's below 20k.

http://ventura.craigslist.org/boa/3465111730.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wilson20.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	182373  
Old 12-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #994
skiff

Always liked the looks of some of the Wilsons, Mark, especially some of the bigger ones with the 'Hacienda Cabin'. That one you posted up seems like it has some potential?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wilson.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	182385  
skiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #995
Scottywotty
Long Beach Neptune

I refuse to let this thread slip away BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scotty
Old 12-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #996
SBH20Man
Brent

I don't think this one has been posted before on this thread, but I've seen it come up on CL several times over the last 6 months, and appears to still be unsold.

Curious what the experts have to say about this boat. $63k asking price seems quite high for something that needs to be finished out (and appears to be a pretty old hull & motor/outdrive). But I'm no Radon expert.

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/boa/3414169272.html

Today could be the best day!
SBH20Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #997
sbsurfer

That 24 has been for sale up north for quite a while. This is probably one of the worst times to be selling a used boat...screaming deals out there to compete against. I know if i was to sell my 20fter right now i'd probably be lucky to get half of what i have put into her over the past few years...i mean if i posted my 20 up at $65k i'd probably have ALOT of guys bashing my price...but i have well over that invested in the boat. I feel for the guys trying to unload boats right now, it has to be super frustrating. I don't know much about the grey 24 up in SC other than what the owner has put on CL. But it's sure hard to compete at the price with these other Radon style boats that are on the market right now:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...449918126.html - flush deck diesel!!! This is a sick boat for the price!

http://ventura.craigslist.org/bod/3463323761.html

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/mem...-dp-225hp.html

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/mem...adoncraft.html

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/boa/3394070684.html

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/boa/3405403610.html

Was out in Goleta yesterday dropping off a Bravo3 outdrive (soon to be for sale by me) to Don Radon so one of his customers can demo it on his boat that currently is set up with a B2. I snapped a few pics of the work at the yard. Looks like ruben's old 18 is in for new fuel tanks. Also a large Wilson getting some deck work done. And the UCSB 22 getting a facelift. I failed to snap a few of the 22 don is currently building that will have a nice little Yanmar diesel in it...very curious to see the fuel burn on this bad boy since i am considering a repower in the next year or so on my boat. I'd love to go diesel but it sure aint cheap...nothing with boats is i guess.

I really enjoy stopping by the Radon and Anderson yards, been a gearhead all my life and really appreciate the craftsmanship and engineering that goes into these boats. Plus it's nice to see how everyone seems to customize these boats to suit their needs/purpose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	radon18.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	182556   Click image for larger version

Name:	radon18fueltanks.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	182557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wilson.JPG
Views:	454
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	182558   Click image for larger version

Name:	wilsondeck.JPG
Views:	457
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	182559   Click image for larger version

Name:	wilsonenginebay.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	182560  

Name:	ucsb22a.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	182561   Click image for larger version

Name:	UCSB22.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	182562  
Old 12-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #998
Sierra Bravo
I drive boats

That 24 from Santa Cruz is an H&F and was pretty hammered before the fresh gel coat and overhead. I wouldn't pay $65k for it even if I had that kind of money to throw around.

Danny's Wilson is coming along nicely too. The front fish hold is for urchins, and the rear is going to be plumbed with both hot and cold water for cucumbers or use as a hot tub. The starboard side of the engine box is getting raised flush to make room for the volume tank and the deck will be beefed up for the compressor on top. The other side was supposed to be raised as well with a hatch on top to make a wet storage box, but was nixed in the interest of time and money. The bow is also getting beefed up for a hydraulic anchor winch.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #999
skiff

ScottyWotty- Way too much going on in this 'niche' to ever let this thing die!

Here's some photos that I thought might be interesting to a lot of folks. A buddy, Norm, wanted to take his pristine Anderson 20 and add........six feet to it. Lengthening boats is a sort of time-honored way to accomplish a lot of things (much better ride, increased storage/walkroom/carrying capacity, etc, etc), and Anderson's has done a ton of them so they're expert. The photos are pretty self explanatory, but as you would imagine, everything has to come out first and then the re-build starts.

Check it-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Re-sizing Norms Ando, Dec, 2012 0014.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	182591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Re-sizing Norms Ando, Dec, 2012 0006.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	182592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Re-sizing Norms Ando, Dec, 2012 0007.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	182593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Re-sizing Norms Ando, Dec, 2012 0015.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	182594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Re-sizing Norms Ando, Dec, 2012 0008.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	182595  

Name:	Re-sizing Norms Ando, Dec, 2012 0009.jpg
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	182596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Re-sizing Norms Ando, Dec, 2012 0005.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	182597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Re-sizing Norms Ando, Dec, 2012 0010.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	182598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Re-sizing Norms Ando, Dec, 2012 0013.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	182599  
Old 12-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #1000
skiff

Like with all projects of this magnitude, the process takes time, some cash flow, and patience, but Norm came out the other end super stoked and is raving about the ride difference. The boat is absolutely stunning in person, and I'm sure Norm's dive buddies are digging all that extra room.

Back to Mark's comments on these types of boats, their costs, and their intrinsic 'value'. From what I've seen, a man and his boat are one of the most passionate relationships that each of us have outside of our families. How can you really put a 'value' on that? Some of these boats can get pretty expensive in simple dollar terms, but what is really 'simple' about it? If you own a boat like this, and take it out 5, maybe 6 times a year? Yes, they're expensive.

But like a lot of people on this forum, if you use the thing ALL THE TIME, in the course of things vastly enriching the life experience of you, your family, and your buddies.....................and at the end of 10 or 20 years look back on all of it? I'm really convinced that the whole of the experience really works out to something super INEXPENSIVE (no matter the cost) when taken in the context of what it has provided for you and those around you. The money part? You just do what you have to do to accomplish your aim. Painful? Sometimes. But as my buddy says, 'Pay once, cry once. Then move on.'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Re-sizing Norms Ando, Dec, 2012 0016.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	182600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Re-sizing Norms Ando, Dec, 2012 0017.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	182601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Re-sizing Norms Ando, Dec, 2012 0012.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	182602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Re-sizing Norms Ando, Dec, 2012 0011.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	182603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Re-sizing Norms Ando, Dec, 2012 0001.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	182604  

Name:	Re-sizing Norms Ando, Dec, 2012 0003.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	182605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Re-sizing Norms Ando, Dec, 2012 0002.jpg
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	182606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Re-sizing Norms Ando, Dec, 2012 0004.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	182607  
Old 12-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #1001
CitoRat4Ever
I bungee my freezer shut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiff View Post
But as my buddy says, 'Pay once, cry once. Then move on.'
Having twice spent my life's saving (once for the boat, once for the remodel) in two years on my Anderson, I have to agree. Sure, I pushed back buying a house a few years, but what I have gained in memories, relaxation and peace of mind has more than made up for it. Boats are an extension of you, and if you have the means, then you should have your boat be exactly the way you want it. You'll be happier in the long run.

Nicholas DuMong - Ex-President, Santa Barbara Freedivers - I'm out bitches!

http://www.wongspearguns.com/
CitoRat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #1002
WESTBURY

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiff View Post
Like with all projects of this magnitude, the process takes time, some cash flow, and patience, but Norm came out the other end super stoked and is raving about the ride difference. The boat is absolutely stunning in person, and I'm sure Norm's dive buddies are digging all that extra room.

Back to Mark's comments on these types of boats, their costs, and their intrinsic 'value'. From what I've seen, a man and his boat are one of the most passionate relationships that each of us have outside of our families. How can you really put a 'value' on that? Some of these boats can get pretty expensive in simple dollar terms, but what is really 'simple' about it? If you own a boat like this, and take it out 5, maybe 6 times a year? Yes, they're expensive.

But like a lot of people on this forum, if you use the thing ALL THE TIME, in the course of things vastly enriching the life experience of you, your family, and your buddies.....................and at the end of 10 or 20 years look back on all of it? I'm really convinced that the whole of the experience really works out to something super INEXPENSIVE (no matter the cost) when taken in the context of what it has provided for you and those around you. The money part? You just do what you have to do to accomplish your aim. Painful? Sometimes. But as my buddy says, 'Pay once, cry once. Then move on.'
Well said, well said!

Most of my absolute best memories have been made on my boats, fishing diving with my good friends.
And the older I get, the more I appreciate those memories!

You can't put a price on that!

Nick, sounds like you have your priorities right!

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #1003
WESTBURY

BTW, how in the heck do you get 6 feet of stern to stay attached to the rear of the boat?
I've studied the pictures and can't really see how the new stringers are secured.

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #1004
skiff

Westbury- In a word: magic. No, not exactly sure of the engineering of the six foot addition, maybe Ed can jump on here and clarify? But I do know that they've done a ton of them, mostly in the commercial fleet, and it's well known that it's a doable, workable, even preferrable type of situation, so they've obviously figured out the details and guys are digging them enough that they're reccomending the procedure to their buddies.

Here's a few photos of F/V Salsipudes (currently for sale...) that was lengthened some years ago. I've always loved the lines on that boat, just very aesthetic to my eye and the lengthening just helped it. The last shot was taken with my wide angle lens which distorts things a bit on certain angles, so it's not THAT long.....it just looks that way in this shot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s2a.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	182644   Click image for larger version

Name:	s3a.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	182645   Click image for larger version

Name:	s4a.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	182646   Click image for larger version

Name:	s5a.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	182647   Click image for larger version

Name:	s6a.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	182648  

Name:	s1a.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	182649  
Old 12-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #1005
Edward_Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTBURY View Post
BTW, how in the heck do you get 6 feet of stern to stay attached to the rear of the boat?
I've studied the pictures and can't really see how the new stringers are secured.
Magic!

Actually you taper lam and scarf structures together. we usually start on the inside, get everything ground really well and glass the crap out of it in a meaningful and carefully applied order. Also I like to leave the transom in place if I can and use it as another structural member. When the inside is self supporting and straight, you pull off all the temporary structure on the outside and grind the outside with a taper so you can scarf the new laminates into the old laminates. It's really not that hard, but Skiff's photos leave out a whole lot of long itchy hours of work.
Edward_Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote