Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #16
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

Re: A Preventable Jet Ski Death

^ do you keep the epirb on you in the water (or on your float?)

I've considered getting one but wonder about the logistics of diving with it.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:30 AM   #17
mikelb

Nautilus radio. Two channels and gps distress alert. I have one. I have never had to use it but I sometimes take it scuba and when freediving out in the open. All my wetsuits have a knife pocket and a second pocket for float/Nautilus. My weight harness has a popper float so yeah, I carry two floats in case I have to ditch my weights. What can I say except that I'm coming home at the end of the day. Best, Mike.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #18
joshrau

Send a message via AIM to joshrau

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackDaddy View Post
Catalina on a jetski? That's insane.

Also should have had an EPIRB
+1 on the potential lifesaving ability of an epirb as a last solution in an emergency.

For a jetski, a plb may be even more appropriate, since epirbs are large and registered to a vessel. A plb can be worn on your person or fixed to your lifejacket, which is crucial if you are separated from your jetski (or other vessel). A plb has a shorter battery (broadcasts for 24 hours) but seems appropriate for near shore waters.

Either system, be sure to have them properly registered and inform your emergency contact every single time you go out. When the emergency signal is activated, they usually call your emergency contact to ensure it isnt an accidental activation prior to sending out SAR.

PLBs are cheap and should be well within any budget. They are often available used for 50 bucks or so, just be sure to run the battery diagnostic prior to purchasing and verify it us the current technology. I bring my PLB and keep it on myself at all times for overnight trips offshore, even though the vessel has an epirb.
joshrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:52 PM   #19
joshrau

Send a message via AIM to joshrau

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackDaddy View Post
^ do you keep the epirb on you in the water (or on your float?)

I've considered getting one but wonder about the logistics of diving with it.
A PLB is probably what you're looking for. EPIRBs are really too bulky for most floats. They're also intended to be for a boat and are registered to a vessel, not a person. Also, some are activated automatically if submerged, so may create a false alarm if you put it onto a dive float.

As Mikelb pointed out, vhf with built in GPS tagged distress signals exist as well. However, these are useless if you are outside of range of other vessels equipped to receive your signal. From a handheld device and you floating in the water, that is a few miles, maybe 5 at best. If you are mid channel on a slightly choppy day, you may be waiting hours before somebody happens to pass within your few miles radius.

Also, if they just arent monitoring, it doesn't matter if they pass within range. You may (or may not) be surprised how infrequently other vessels monitor their radios. The farther out you get, the less people monitor, especially on medium recreational vessels with the equipment all below decks and no slave sets in the cockpit.
joshrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:02 PM   #20
saltierdog
proper use of a bait tank

All good points but everyone is missing the obvious
A helmet
jetskis are in many ways a better vessel then a small boat in big seas they don't sink are easily righted and restarted and can actually punch through waves

They are specifically designed with a kill switch that cannot be deactivated and if you don't have the sense to attach the lanyard to your life jacket and your thrown off they typically stall out or will put around in a tight circle. There is no strong current or wind that would prevent a healthy 20year old from getting back on if he was conscious

Unfortunately very few divers take the number one safety measure when running solo a properly fitted jet ski helmet

RIP

Just Say No to GREENWASHING

Men stumble over the truth from time to time,
but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.

-- Winston Churchill
saltierdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #21
alekskocev

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibujohn View Post
It is unfortunate and my heart goes out to his family and friends, but that being said, Water craft is a nice alternative to bigger, fuel consuming boats. I can hit a spot for 30 bucks that cost's me 230 on my whaler. And it makes a nice back
up float! And ya, I carry an epirb and a GOOD handheld, always!Attachment 241749
John, Where do you store all that gear on the ski? Also, super sad story but sounds like if he had taken some safety precautions he might have lived ( life preserver, VHF, etc )
alekskocev is offline   Reply With Quote