Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
Megabeast

Saturday 11/18 Father and Son out of Mayport

I'm going to give an attempt at this story telling thing.

No pics Sorry. It's always one of the furthest things from my mind. Vis was 20-30ft all day in 80-100 fsw.

Shoved off @ 0600 for a day of diving with dear ole' Capt. Dad, my good buddy Erik and Mr. Mike. The air was COLD-D-D-D-D in the morning, like 40!
Got out 25nm to the NE to dive a pretty well known ledge (hoping no one had hit it in like a week), no fish to speak of, got 3 bugs At least one of them was around 6 lbs.

Next drop, throw the old man and Mr. Mike in on a published wreck notorious for Cobes. About 15 minutes later, my 54 year old father pops the surface talkin' about, "Get over here quick!!!" with splashes all around him. Mosey over to see the old man whacked him a good eatin' size Cobe (about 25-30 lbs gutted). Attaboy Dad!! Not bad for someone who ain't dove in over a year. Mr. Mike got the goosegg, talkin' about this 'missing shots' business.

Dive 2 for Erik and I, another published wreck. Bait was so thick you couldn't see 5 feet, I put my face to the sand so I could see farther. Out in the sand the vis was like 30 feet so I decided to go inside the wreck and look outward for silhouettes. That was the right move. Got inside, and almost instantly whacked a small ARS (about 10 lbs gutted). If I were to actually swim inside the wreck, it caused the spadefish and the bait to move so much that it freaked everything, so I layed on my tummy and kind of eased along using my hands mostly, pulling between the pilings. Got down to one end of the wreck and saw a gag, crept slowly like the minute hand on a watch and closed the gap to about 8 feet, whack. Going back down the wreck, I look at a piece on the outside of the wreck, and it looks like a grouper nose. I investigate, naw, "that was just shipwreck". As I am turning to go away, the grouper pokes his nose out of a very well shadowed hole he was in, whack! Nail a big sheepie on the way back to the jug line to finish out the dive. Both grouper were about 12-15 lbs gutted. Not big mack daddies, but the very good eating size (which is what we were out there for).

Dive 2 for old men, a tug in about 100. The guys said there was bugs all over but they couldn't reach them, and there was a big ole' freight train grouper (40ish they said) that they both missed on repeatedly. Goose Eggs.

Dive 3 for me had lots of questionable fish on it, so I let them all live and caught 2 bugs.

Dive 3 for the old men, same thing. "Grouper and Lobster everywhere!!!!" Dad got skunked but Mr. Mike shot the big Gag of the day, about a 18-20lb fish. Good for him! He was about to get a goose egg for the day.

All in all it was a killer day. 2ft or less seas, ok vis, 66-68 water temps and I got to go fun diving (not work diving) with my dad and my best friend. It's the stuff you live for.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Re: Saturday 11/18 Father and Son out of Mayport

WTG Tommy.Glad ya'll got them groceries.Hope this front blows by in time for next weekend's leftover dives.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
polespear

Glad to see you guy's had a good day,

Your going to have to work a little harder on that pic. thing
polespear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:42 PM   #4
Gradyman
Man on a Mission...

Wow Mega...I was shooting a wedding on the beach and felt releived I had work that day when I felt the wind and saw the whitecaps just off the beach...great to hear your story...sounds like a good day by all!!

If you lose your wealth you've lost nothing, if you lose your health you've lost something, if you lose your integrity you've lost everything.

When there is nothing left but God,you find out that God is all you need.

Our thoughts become words...words become actions...actions become habits...habits become character and it becomes our destiny.
Gradyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
StabbinBoy
A good view on life

Send a message via AIM to StabbinBoy

Great times. Thanks for trying your hand at 'storytellin'
StabbinBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
Megabeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polespear
Your going to have to work a little harder on that pic. thing
It's not the pic thing, it's the 'remember to get the camera in the dive preparation stage' thing. It's also the 'someone shot fish, get the camera out' that I need to work on too. usually when someone gets in the boat it's "help them with their gear/tanks, congratulate them, gut/ice the fish, pick new spot on the GPS and start driving'. I've just got to prioritize the picture taking. I need to do it for myself so I have something other than my memories (which fade from time to time).

100days, did you ever develop the pic of the Cubera you took?

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Hey,Tommy

Nah,I haven't been out so the cameras still in my bag.I'm hoping to get some time in this weekend.Got a pic of you with a big gag too.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:19 PM   #8
Robert D.
Marisa D Fishing Team

Good going Tommy, glad you got out with dad. I tryed to call you a few times out there. Was your radio on? Sounds like we were in the same area. Hopefully your dad gets out more. Anyways good slaying.
Robert D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #9
Megabeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D.
Good going Tommy, glad you got out with dad. I tryed to call you a few times out there. Was your radio on? Sounds like we were in the same area. Hopefully your dad gets out more. Anyways good slaying.
The radio was out. Glad the engines worked or we'd of been sending smoke signals back to Mayport.

Dad is going to start diving alot more now. He's got him a new group of good buddies and they have boats, so it'll be great for him. I'll still go with him as much as I can when I'm on land.

The slaying was ok, it wasn't red hot but we got every species we targeted. How did you guys do?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
Robert D.
Marisa D Fishing Team

Tommy- We probably dove the same structure. We did ok- Total tally was 3 cobia all around 45#, 3 grays all about 25#, 2 donkeys around 45#, 16 lobsters, and a few flounder, sheeps, mangos and triggers. Damn cobia don't like to die, each one I shot I had to wrestle for at least five minutes. Nick found me wrestling with one and helped me subdue it with a knife to the head. All shots were from the side rather than from above. The side shots were still about 3 inches behind the eye Cleaned fish again till 9:00. Shouldn't complain about that. Had fun eating fresh cobia nuggets while I watched my team win today.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #11
wvandeman
FSDA Freedive chair

Nice father-son work!
wvandeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:37 AM   #12
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

Sounds like a good day Mega....I was on the beach in Anastatia and the seas from there looked horrible and I was glad I wasnt out there....sounds like I was very wrong...
see ya soon for some winter killin
Old 11-20-2006, 08:49 AM   #13
Ironhed

Nice story, you guys are a little more resilient to the rough seas than I am.
.and music is emo. (.Emo spearo.) aka Inletsurf
Ironhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:07 AM   #14
Robert D.
Marisa D Fishing Team

Forgot to mention one of the cobia I shot had a tag on it from Virginia! Pretty cool to know. Gonna call it in today.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:06 AM   #15
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D.
Forgot to mention one of the cobia I shot had a tag on it from Virginia! Pretty cool to know. Gonna call it in today.
I grew up fishing in the chesapeak and offshore and in 15 years of fishing there never caught or even heard of Cobia mentioned, so thats reall cool you got a tag from there...