Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2015, 10:41 AM   #91
peripatetic

Re: Advice on spearfishing alone

Many great sports are dangerous and carry an element of risk, just don't be an idiot about it.[/quote]

Like Ben says above, lots of sports carry their own specific dangers. My entire life I have heard: "never climb alone, never surf alone, never cave alone, etc". I have done all of them alone for years. There is something special about relying on your own skills, and accepting the consequences of your actions.

Take responsibility, make your own choices, and don't listen to others fears.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #92
tautog1

peripatetic,

Your assessment of doing it alone is so true. Everyone warns you - not to participate in activities that have an element of danger. Yet - they will drive an automobile on a two lane highway at 50 mph+ with oncoming traffic passing you only two or three feet apart without the least concern.

I agree with you; rely on your own skills, accept the consequences of your actions and enjoy the solitude of your experiences.

I have dived alone for in excess of fifty years. Someday, if I don't return, there will be those that say "I told the dumb SOB to never dive alone."

So be it, and get over it.
tautog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:36 AM   #93
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

~ Yes to that Brother, when I 'hear' someone blurt out drivel about never dive alone, I figure they have a beck and call human who will instantly attend to their needs.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #94
alemaozinho

I think the biggest issue is that most of us who dive alone have are problems with finding a dive buddy and work out a schedule. I dive alone for that same reason. It would be nice to have a dive buddy,but unless he is watching you 100% of the time with the abilities to help when shit hits the ceiling, will be fruitless if he doesn't. The theory of 1up one down is nice but seldom practiced because there are many different distractions and the diver on the surface has to have your back 100% of the time.Just my 2c.
alemaozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #95
Exile
Exile

OK, I've read every post in the thread, and I am hearing a lot of speculation and theorizing on the safety of buddy diving... but I have yet to hear any reports of the diver whose life was saved by a buddy, or the diver who saved his buddies life by simply being there.

can anybody give a realistic account of an actual experience where buddy diving saved a life?

I like many have been spearing alone off and on since '88, and have never had a problem. But of course, I want to be safe as possible.

(Remember, staying out of the water is the safest choice.)

Be safe and have fun!
Old 04-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #96
Exile
Exile

OK, I found one... Thanks Daniel:

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=175642
Old 04-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #97
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
OK, I've read every post in the thread, and I am hearing a lot of speculation and theorizing on the safety of buddy diving... but I have yet to hear any reports of the diver whose life was saved by a buddy, or the diver who saved his buddies life by simply being there.

can anybody give a realistic account of an actual experience where buddy diving saved a life?

I like many have been spearing alone off and on since '88, and have never had a problem. But of course, I want to be safe as possible.

Be safe and have fun!

I saved a guy in a BO. He feel asleep after reaching the surface. The "rescue" was to reach down and recover him from a depth of 18 inches... and he woke up right away. He could have die. The recovery was trivial.

Everyone who has been around freediving for any time knows or has met people who have died from freediving and I know many people who have been saved..
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #98
jaxwax
average joe

Quote:

Be safe and have fun!
Another:
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=177070
jaxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #99
spearhunter11
Surgical Shooter!

Here is something to think about:http://www.spearblog.com/2009/07/14/...save-his-life/
spearhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #100
dr.ed

Quote:

Be safe and have fun!

I rescued a buddy twice when he had SWBO( we made him leave the water !) scouting for the Nationals in 1966 at Miami Fla.
dr.ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #101
Exile
Exile

AWESOME!

Thanks guys, I believe these stories are the best way to make other divers see the benefits of buddy diving. i know it's made me look at things differently.

Keep 'em coming!
-Exile
Old 06-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #102
artiz

I'm in the 'live and let live' camp... as peripatetic says that 'NEVER DO' phrase always trouble's me... I think if you set out to 'push your limits' then it's a good idea to be around others but if that's not on the agenda then for me spearfishing is far better done alone... having another large predator around will always reduce some aspect of your activity and enjoyment... from fish size/numbers to increased accident/safety anxiety.
The freedom of the Ocean is at the very core of spearfishing for me... so is the inherent danger to a lesser degree. To be explicitly frank... after taking from the sea for the last 40 years... the sea taking back what it is due has a certain romantic ring to it... given the choice and knowing absolutely nothing of my death at sea is very definitely the 'good death' I would choose.
"What about your loved one's?"... Cracking insurance policy always seems to help with the emotional anguish in my experience... besides they know me by now.

I always take a mobile in a waterproof, tell someone where I'm going, when I'll be back etc etc.
The one time I ever really truly feel alone is out there and the last thing I want is someone else to have to think about... for me underwater hunting is therefore very much a lone wolf activity... others think differently... live and let live...
Old 06-20-2016, 08:29 PM   #103
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiz View Post
I'm in the 'live and let live' camp... as peripatetic says that 'NEVER DO' phrase always trouble's me... I think if you set out to 'push your limits' then it's a good idea to be around others but if that's not on the agenda then for me spearfishing is far better done alone... having another large predator around will always reduce some aspect of your activity and enjoyment... from fish size/numbers to increased accident/safety anxiety.
The freedom of the Ocean is at the very core of spearfishing for me... so is the inherent danger to a lesser degree. To be explicitly frank... after taking from the sea for the last 40 years... the sea taking back what it is due has a certain romantic ring to it... given the choice and knowing absolutely nothing of my death at sea is very definitely the 'good death' I would choose.
"What about your loved one's?"... Cracking insurance policy always seems to help with the emotional anguish in my experience... besides they know me by now.

I always take a mobile in a waterproof, tell someone where I'm going, when I'll be back etc etc.
The one time I ever really truly feel alone is out there and the last thing I want is someone else to have to think about... for me underwater hunting is therefore very much a lone wolf activity... others think differently... live and let live...
Does your dive buddy feel the same way?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:30 PM   #104
artiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Does your dive buddy feel the same way?
Huh?
Old 06-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #105
Shorediver

I have read all the responses,and agree with those that say to not dive alone and instead dive with at least 1 person.Whoever you choose to dive with has to be in great shape,someone who works well under pressure, and someone you can trust with your life.Don't invite someone who is out of shape and can barely swim,they will be a hindrance to your dive trip.

With that said, I have done a large amount of solo beach dives,many of these beach dives where +8 hours long without touching the floor.I always carried a boggie board with a couple bottles of water (or Gatorade) and protein bars.I made sure to keep myself well hydrated and ate the protein bars for energy while floating on my boggie board.I took mini breaks when needed and I did my best to conserve my energy. I kept myself in great cardiovascular health by running and swimming.I still do long beachdives,but do them with my girlfriend,who is a better diver and more brave than many men I have taken diving with me.
Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote