Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 298 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #6271
Moonshine

Re: Santa Barbara Conditions Report "Perma-Thread"

Anyboby get in today...Any vis reports?
Moonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #6272
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

Hope you got to go out Nate.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #6273
SAINTrusher

I did a lot of ****in diving today.

Dive #1: 1000 (the time not the spot) worked a bug spot in sub 7ft water for a good hour in 3ft vis, found 2 shorts, didn't see as much as I normally see at this spot.

Dive #2: 1100 walked down the beach a good half mile or more and got in to find crystal clear top to bottom right off the bat, dropped my first dive in 5 feet of water and felt searing pain through my head... sinus squeeze. immediate headache so i got out.

9 mile run. I've noticed when I got those sinus headaches if I go for a run it usually helps a little bit.

Dive #3: 1400 went to a spot that never has good vis, and it was top to bottom up to 10 feet deep, was really excited about this spot because I've only been able to dive it one time a year or so ago because vis never holds here. Nothing found.

Dive #4: 1500 went back to dive #2 spot, vis was still holding a solid 20ft. Missed a bunch of hole grabs and saw a fat sheepshead and an easily legal ling, of course I didn't have my gun with me. Measured a couple of short bugs and got out.

Didn't take anything but vis was epic and I saw a good amount of life out so it was a good day.
SAINTrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:20 AM   #6274
Ad Hoc
More Vitamin Sea

Did a shore drive south of SB today around 4pm. 3-5' vis. Saw only a handful of shorts at a spot that I've been seeing lots of bugs. Commercial guys must of cleaned up shop.

Last edited by Ad Hoc; 10-26-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Ad Hoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #6275
Namor
Goletard

shore diving its a mixed blessing; i just got this text from a friend checking the vis off moremesa " looking murky off wang-dangle point "

jeremy
Old 10-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #6276
Ad Hoc
More Vitamin Sea

Took the wife out on the boat today. She actually got in the water with me, and we did a tank dive together. It's not often that she's brave enough to get in, so I was proud. We dove in town, milky 10' vis. Didn't see a whole lot of life out there. Mostly perch and opal eye, and a few small rockfish and calicos.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #6277
Broseidon

Solid 3-5' of vis at Ledbetter around 3 today. Didn't see much except a whole bunch of perch and a small calico
Broseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #6278
Namor
Goletard

Shit soup at Campus today. Very quiet out there on the reef. Swam the whole reef from poles to the mlpa border. nada seen. Any one have a vis report from up North of Goleta?

Jeremy
Old 10-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #6279
Lompoc Local
Errin

Got a report that Devs was top to bottom in the lineup today

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #6280
Albondiga
A Harmer

Dove the gav area this afternoon and into the evening. Terrible conditions. The surface was 5-10 ft vis, but the bottom murked to 0.25 - 1 ft vis.

Managed to measure a few bugs, none were good enough to go home with me. Lots of traps out there, and they all had decent bugs in them
Albondiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #6281
Namor
Goletard

Drove (or should say my dive bud drove) all over the north coast looking for vis at the ass crack of dawn today. Swell was showing so we went to town and got in on the Mesa. It was better than it looked outside with 20'+ vis. The further out I went the better it got too. There were plenty of reef dwellers out, and I saw a few legal bugs I couldnt get to.

The boat traffic at that spot has almost done me in a few times and I couldnt really relax and enjoy my self today. Breathups of a few minutes to dive the outer outer reefs were what I needed and after an hour of wondering if I was going to end up killed by some boater I gave up and moved inside to the murk and surge. I got sea sick and got out, but it was still a nice dive. the take for the day was a Giant Kelp Fish. My dive bud for the day did much better than I did in the game dept today.

As I chilled on the beach a lobster boat tore right through the outer kelp where I had been diving, It was cranking and even if the captain had been looking his prow was so high up he couldnt have seen me...

Jeremy
Old 10-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #6282
burnskiez

RE: the boat traffic, sad but true - thanks for the report man!
burnskiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #6283
Ad Hoc
More Vitamin Sea

I talked to a harbor patrol officer about this and he suggested bringing the issue to the attention of the harbor commission.
http://www.santabarbaraca.gov/gov/br...or/default.asp
Old 10-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #6284
Lompoc Local
Errin

What kind of gamefish Jeremy? I spooked a single Hali today but couldn't find anything to connect with except a couple lings.

Is halibut season over?

Viz was 5-10 at my shallow water spot and the water was warm. Fair amount of surge mixed it up a bit and made it hard to hit the holes

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #6285
aus
squid

Hit the islands this weekend and it was amazing! Well, at least Anacapa.
Saturday morning my buddy and I left Ventura harbor and headed straight for Capa...

When we got out there we saw a few charter fishing boats and dive boats. We found a great spot with 80+ feet vis.
We worked the 60-80ft range for YT. Nothing seen.... But it was so beautiful. I had incredible deep (well for me) 70Ft freedives and felt so comfortable out there. Man, I will dream about that vis and depth. I love diving deep.
I was able to pick out fish on the bottom in about 65ft of water. Saw plenty of nice calicos but some how I could not get in range on a single one! UGH! So frustrating.

All I shot Saturday was a male sheepy, and took one bug. Stayed out till almost sunset, then headed over to Santa Cruz.
I wanted to night dive this spot on SC that I knew held bugs from recent trips. The vis was terrible, 5-10ft super hazy and green. I wanted to get in, but my buddy didn't. So we just anchored up in smugglers and got drunk. lol.

Woke up sunday morning for sunrise and checked a couple spots on the east side of cruz and wasn't pleased with the vis, so we headed to our spot from Saturday at Capa. Spent about 2 hours in the deeps looking for those damn yellows.. Nothing seen. My buddy spotted his first 100+ pound black seabass so I was stoked for him.
We decided to spend the rest of the day working the 15-25ft range for bugs. We both limited.

Got out of the water around 3:30 and headed back to Cali. The channel was real fun in his 22ft boat, haha. Nice powerful surf got our hearts racing.
Overall, amazing trip! Best vis I've seen since I was 13 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131027_191633.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	197629  
aus is offline   Reply With Quote