Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #31
Tbruderer98

Re: JBL Pole Spear Modification

I have JBL travel polespear and the band just broke. The band was bad anyway so I dont really care. I was just wondering how you guys made that, super cool.
Tbruderer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:31 PM   #32
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt

I drew the short straw with Aaron Crist. Here are the replacement rear adapter parts to prevent water filling issue. One diver claimed the JBL edge was a tad sharpe on rubber tubing. The JBL part I have didn't look to bad to me.

If you need replacement Rubbers, get a hold of Aaron.

These parts still need thread de-burring and anodizing process.

This is the JBL part it replaces with a thru-hole.

Here is picture of my Part on customers Pole for Fitting TEST

And if you are really into these, you can hear the squeaking of the fit into the pole in this video sent to me, Camera is upside down.

http://www.linghunt.com/ForumPosts/J...IT%20Video.MOV
Old 03-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #33
Dean0521

Do you have these available? Do you have to tap the inside of the pole?
Dean0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #34
Fox55

JBL is not munch on up grading there gear, at least that's my .2 cents. but that is a cool idea. I would buy one right now. plug or threaded.
hear is my JBL up grade. 35'' 38 special into a 30'' mid handle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-01 10.43.55.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	202204  
Fox55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #35
Linghunt

This part is for the JBL type pole that comes with the black threaded piece. The black part that I took picture of.

You don't want to buy a Tap for this one. If your pole has the side hole, you can hook the rope on as shown in this thread and just glue a wine cork in the hole. Done. Don't forget to drink the wine.

The other option vs this part, is to drill a side hole in the JBL parts, and stuff a cork in the pole past the threads to stop water filling. That was done earlier in this thread.

Not super familiar with all of their (JBL) models names, and such.

The concept is in Aaron's court, he made a few of these and got tired of doing it when he had his own customer base beating on him for lead time on his fine pole spear.

These parts actually came from a Custom 12 foot 3/4" solid Pole spear I made. Customer never paid for it, and after 5 years it became raw stock. lol. I just single point threaded them, I didn't have a die/tap in this size.

I'll probably have these complete by end of week, Just some final clean up on surface finish and then 2-3 day lag with anodizer. Got a plate full of other jobs to do first, for folks waiting on me.

I reason I posted these early; I was getting messages from divers that came from Aaron. Thought to save him some time on phone and keyboard. This thread was lighting up his various in-boxes, so I put it here.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:40 AM   #36
Linghunt

I haven't got to these parts yet. Sorry guys. Looking to get them done this weekend. I got buried with a tooling order machined parts for a 36KW Heater Bank. Too many things to do at once....

ASIDE: I saw everyone was tweaking on this car ad. (eye roll)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNzXze5Yza8

I wouldn't buy it, I'm an old Truck Guy, but I was up till 2 AM making parts last night, and I do work 7 days a week, unless I can get out diving.

I don't take Aug off for vacation either.... nor X-mas.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #37
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Thanks John, they're looking good. These threaded adapters are for the JBL breakdown spear. You guys just need to convince John to whip some of the one piece adaptors up
Old 03-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #38
Linghunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspearo View Post
Thanks John, they're looking good. These threaded adapters are for the JBL breakdown spear. You guys just need to convince John to whip some of the one piece adaptors up
That's the one with the slide Oval slot? That one not so easy for Spear-o to fix with limited tools.

Maybe fill the end with that construction foam and drill a side hole above the big slot.

Making parts for use by divers with no tools is the challenge. Those seem to be the ones that buy these poles needing modifications.

I guess we don't hear from the other group with tools, as I think about it.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #39
xnomanx

I contacted you about one of these but actually need the non-threaded version for the one piece that Aaron is talking about.

Thank you for mentioning construction foam!!! My main concern is making the shaft water tight and this would seem to be the easiest way to do it.

On a side note, I don't find changing the bands on the JBL as difficult as people claim it to be. It's nothing but a bead used as a stopper inside of the rubber; easy to insert into a new band with a pair of needle nose pliers. Anything about 1/4" in diameter seems to work. Aside from that, you need a short piece of string to pull the rubber through the hole on the spear butt. Outside of that, there's nothing to it…and you can adjust band length/power in an instant after it's inserted.

I suppose a traditional style band that's been pre-tied with a wish bone is a little faster to replace in the field. But tying wishbones at home is not any faster than inserting the stopper bead. If you have a spare band for the JBL with a bead pre-inserted and a length of string pre-tied around it for feeding, it's also pretty fast to replace and adjust in the field.

***Edit: After playing around a little more with the bands right now, it appears you don't even need the plastic bead inside the rubber as a stopper. Instead, I tied a knot in one end. It seems to work just the same. I'm not getting any band slippage so far. My only question is whether or not a knot will weaken the bands faster than a stopper would.

Last edited by xnomanx; 03-08-2014 at 03:05 PM.
xnomanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #40
Linghunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnomanx View Post
My only question is whether or not a knot will weaken the bands faster than a stopper would.
That a good question for Aaron to answer, I don't see an issue with either method, assuming both are easy to wash down after use. Keep an eye on it and try both.

The Wine cork or the foam would both work. Depends on what you got on hand. I was thinking of a spherical rubber ball at one point.

Been de-burring parts today for the others wanting the threaded version. Going to make them black vs a clear anodize.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #41
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

None of its really needed, it just makes for a clean end to easily add a band and keep it from getting damage as well as using off the shelf bands.

Just a hacksaw is the only tool needed to add a band adapter to the 1-pc spears.

Adding these adapters wont get you anymore fish. I just made one because that's what I do. I'm always tinkering...
Old 03-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #42
Linghunt

OK, I finally got them done. I had one of you guys waiting from November. Better late than never.

I hate de-burring parts. De-burring seems to take longer than actually making the parts. I'm finally going to buy one of those slick tools for de-burring the inside of a cross drilled hole. I got 400 of those holes to do next for a Industrial Lamp holder in Movie market.

I'm sure Aaron has a few of these in this stash.

Last edited by Linghunt; 03-20-2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: typos
Linghunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:59 AM   #43
geofri
Ectothermic member

Hey linghunt, guessing you're a machinist.. wondered if you're acceptong new work? I'm looking for a good shop to take on a project (small aluminum part).

It you're interested in taking a look at the drawings, would you PM me?
geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #44
Linghunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofri View Post
Hey linghunt, guessing you're a machinist.. wondered if you're acceptong new work? I'm looking for a good shop to take on a project (small aluminum part).

It you're interested in taking a look at the drawings, would you PM me?
I'll PM you. I'm an E Engineer actually, but satellite as a machinist / mech designer. I'm more of a tool junky who happens to be a spear-o.

I have 3 lathes, a WEDM, a mill and a bunch of other machine shop tools. I make these parts as more of a hobby fill in and spend most of my machine shop time making industrial tooling for vacuum thin film coaters. I design the controls for these coaters and also get part of the machining requirements. It is more fun messing with sharpe objects for fish, but the other stuff pays the bills.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #45
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

Ling- i can admire that! im a Mech engineer (still in school) but i love to play in the machine shop, the hardest thing is cutting a personal part without the shop boss coming over and asking too many questions... we don't have any wire EDM's but we have a bunch of lathes, an old CNC, and some drill presses..

https://youtu.be/Dkqo-KWsjfQ
matthew7stall(at)gmail(dot)com
LIMITLESS is offline   Reply With Quote