Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
Namor
Goletard

Saipan and tropical water diving/hunting info sought

Im going to be traveling to Saipan for a couple of weeks at the end of the year. My buddy who resides there is going to hook me up with a friend of his who is a marine biologist, freediver and spearo. He as offered to show me his secret spots and show me around.

I live in the center of the coast in California and typically dive 3-15 foot vis in the kelp forest. I've dove tropical waters in the past but not as a real spearo although I've polespeared my share of triggers and other reef fish while traveling.

Im not interested in shooting giant grouper, Dogtooth tuna or other extremely powerful fish, more like one fish one meal type of reef dwellers. So I have some questions:

1) the water is warm it seems, I see lots of pics of spearos both with full suits and trunking it. Should I bring my 5 mil Yazbeck freedive suit (maybe just the top) or my 2 mil spring surf suit, or just trunk it ?

2) I do most of my hunting with a 55" Riffe which I think I will leave home for travel convenience. I also have a 32" mid handle Rife Metaltech that I could fit into the luggage. Should I bring this short gun? Or should I just try to make arrangements to rent/borrow a eurogun while there? What size guns do most spearos in the area hunt with?

3) Ive seen video of guys hunting there with floatlines, but most show guys with reels on their guns. I like to use a floatline when I hunt, should I bring a line with me? or should I just make a polyprop line when I get there? Is using a floatline around coral reef a recipe to destroy the line and get tangled in the reef?

4) Are there whales in the area at this time and do they come to predictable areas around the Marianas Islands and Saipan in particular? Ive always wanted to see a whale in the clear water, and Im thinking this might be my chance.

Thanks in advance for your information, and feel free to tell me any other tips or suggestions you might have for visiting Saipan.

Jeremy
Namor is offline   Reply With Quote