Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
Headwaters

Rhode Island Places to Stay?

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay in Rhode Island? I'm looking to head down to RI at the end of June and I need a place that has parking for a boat and trailer. Also, any suggestions on boat ramps?

I'd appreciate any suggestions. It's been a long time since I have been to RI and I do not know the area well.

Thanks.
Headwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
Jon Stevens

Re: Rhode Island Places to Stay?

try airbnb.com for a place to stay
Jon Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
Headwaters

Thank you.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
weekendrx

Lighthouse Inn in point Judith has good parking and a ramp nearby to head out. It's not the world's nicest hotel but it would do the job, especially if you're diving block. Nine miles to the island from PJ. Just my thoughts.
Kurt
weekendrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
Headwaters

How is the fishing around point Judith? I've never been over there. The few times that I fished RI it was around Newport and that was years ago. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:30 PM   #6
Bostondiver

Send a message via Skype™ to Bostondiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headwaters View Post
How is the fishing around point Judith? I've never been over there. The few times that I fished RI it was around Newport and that was years ago. Thanks for the info.
Hard to belive none is answering. I usually dive the north shore (Boston).
Point Judith is great IMHO. Tautog will be closed unfortunately, but the are a lot of other species you can target. PM me and I might come down for a dive.
Best fishing is in Block island though.
Bostondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
rhodeislander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headwaters View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay in Rhode Island? I'm looking to head down to RI at the end of June and I need a place that has parking for a boat and trailer. Also, any suggestions on boat ramps?

I'd appreciate any suggestions. It's been a long time since I have been to RI and I do not know the area well.

Thanks.
There are three jettys just west of the lighthouse that form the outer boundaries of the Harbor of Refuge. The east wall is good. Out at the tip (@ 25' deep) a nice rip sets up with the outgoing tide. It's good from there and back towards the storm damage in the wall. Past that can be loaded with R&R guys on the jetty. Recently reconstructed huge parking lot if you're shore diving but no ramp.

Center wall is great especially from the bend and west. West wall is OK but not much current action.
rhodeislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #8
Headwaters

So if anyone is interested, I ended up staying at Phil and Ann's motel in Charlestown. It was about 20 minutes to point judith boat launch. Not the nicest place ever but if you are just looking for a place to crash it was fine. What was best was that it had room for my boat and they let me use the hose to wash it down afterwards.

Oh yeah, the fishing sucked. A storm had just been through and I couldn't even see the end of my gun. But it still beat work.