Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:53 PM   #1
CuzzA

More from Spearcrafters... 762x54R PPD

Theses guys seem to be on a roll lately releasing great ideas. While the PPD is nothing new, this is the first I've seen it commercially available in this caliber and I know some of our guys on the board have tested just about every round out there and concluded this was the best. I'll let them chime in about that if they want.

With some help, I was able to make this PPD a year or so ago and let me tell you, when it goes off you might think someone just dropped an mortar shell on the reef.

They say they'll be around $30. I like the low profile mount, but would much prefer to see a double mount.

It also appears this is a little unique in that I don't see transmission hose. It's something different and appears to be made from metal, maybe delrin, which would significantly reduce the chances of a misfire due to the shaft missing the primer. Though with the bigger primer on this round that would be unlikely anyway. I do know misfires also happen due to too much friction so I'm curious what pliable material they are using. It appears because the back cap is metal/delrin the mono keeps the two piece together upon detonation.

Anyway, thought I'd share with the board.

https://www.facebook.com/spearcrafte...54876401435430

Last edited by CuzzA; 10-26-2018 at 06:05 PM.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
los mentirosos
Dave Mote

Re: More from Spearcrafters... 762x54R PPD

It's the shitz in my Mosin. Close to 30-06, more than .308.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:59 AM   #3
grey2112

7.62x54R is a great round, powerful, huge primer, and quite inexpensive in bulk. Such that you can (and should) pitch the round after the end of the day and replace with a new one next time out.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
steelcity
Big Brian

Lou and Rich are taking things that some of the better shooters have been using for awhile or making things that some of the better shooters wish they had and making them available to the average Joe. Nothing but good, quality items from Spearcrafters. A ton of knowledge between the two. Stop by their shop and ask them a question or two.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:15 AM   #5
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity View Post
Lou and Rich are taking things that some of the better shooters have been using for awhile or making things that some of the better shooters wish they had and making them available to the average Joe. Nothing but good, quality items from Spearcrafters. A ton of knowledge between the two. Stop by their shop and ask them a question or two.
Indeed and that's why I shared it. I think I read they are opening a retail store. I've never met either of them so I'll probably go buy and see what they have cooking.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
RichT

Hey guys, a friend just alerted me to this thread...
Yes we do have a new ppd coming out soon.
We are taking everything that has caused problems with similar types and “correcting” the issues and making it much better.
There is much more design/engineering than it first appear with this device and your average garage guy just can’t do it easily.
We are going to try and make them at an affordable price point which is delaying the release for awhile longer.
Need to manufacture some special tooling...

And yes, we are opening a new spearfishing store in south Pinellas County that will not only carry our stuff but also products from Neptonics, Redtidespearfishing.com, Rob Allen, Spearfishing Specialties and many others...

And, we are still doing spear shaft refurbishment so pull all those bent shafts out of your garage and bring them down. We will make them as good(or better) than new!
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:48 AM   #7
ScottFL78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT View Post
Hey guys, a friend just alerted me to this thread...
Yes we do have a new ppd coming out soon.
We are taking everything that has caused problems with similar types and “correcting” the issues and making it much better.
There is much more design/engineering than it first appear with this device and your average garage guy just can’t do it easily.
We are going to try and make them at an affordable price point which is delaying the release for awhile longer.
Need to manufacture some special tooling...

And yes, we are opening a new spearfishing store in south Pinellas County that will not only carry our stuff but also products from Neptonics, Redtidespearfishing.com, Rob Allen, Spearfishing Specialties and many others...

And, we are still doing spear shaft refurbishment so pull all those bent shafts out of your garage and bring them down. We will make them as good(or better) than new!

Can’t wait for the store!
ScottFL78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #8
kmoose
Team Headhunter

I remember when we first started building prototypes of slip-ons nearly 20 years ago and tested different rounds for power in a stump off my Dad’s dock in Dunnellon. A local gun shop had a bin of assorted high power rounds and I picked out all the rimmed cartridges including 444 marlin and others. The “scientific” method consisted of tossing the shaft into a stump underwater and seeing how big the explosions were. The 762 was by far the most violent as it actually tossed the spear 10’ out of the water. The first powerheads we made were pieced togethered from brass fittings and pipe and then graduated to garage fabricated from aluminum electric compression connectors. All milling was done on a drill press and nothing as clean as others are producing now.

A friend saw what we were making and made a 50 cal slip on out of a stainless prop shaft for us to try. I was the crash test dummy for firing it off on a sponge on MGs. When it went off I felt something hit me in my front left shoulder. It felt like someone hit me with a baseball bat. Come to find out the round pushed the shaft back 15’ and hit the webbing on my B.C. shoulder strap. 2” to the right and it would have likely hit me in the heart. Redneck R&D is never without hazard.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #9
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

These look awesome. Can't wait!
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #10
HARVESTER

762X54 is way too much (or better said overkill) IMO, but I never used more than a .357. The Russian round is indeed on par with a 30-06. Just be careful. I think the kickback from a bad close-in shot could be dangerous. Your call. It will put high pressure gas into the fish and nothing will survive a headshot, so a 20 pound Warsaw wont bark after a clean hit, but I've never lost a fish hit with a .357.
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #11
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARVESTER View Post
762X54 is way too much (or better said overkill) IMO, but I never used more than a .357. The Russian round is indeed on par with a 30-06. Just be careful. I think the kickback from a bad close-in shot could be dangerous. Your call. It will put high pressure gas into the fish and nothing will survive a headshot, so a 20 pound Warsaw wont bark after a clean hit, but I've never lost a fish hit with a .357.
Been using them for over 15 years with no issue with recoiling, even when the shaft doesn't exit the muzzle. There is a design characteristic in the ones we use that prevents that.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #12
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
Been using them for over 15 years with no issue with recoiling, even when the shaft doesn't exit the muzzle. There is a design characteristic in the ones we use that prevents that.
Is that something secret? Care to elaborate for the curious?
Old 11-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #13
RichT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
Exactly. It is a non-issue...
This basic design has been used by dozens of people I know including several commercial spearfisherman for well over a decade.
We are just improving on the “basic design” by adding a few features not easily done by your average garage manufacturers.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #14
RichT

They are ready...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EAF3C658-994D-4425-85D8-E3D206EED4E9.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	240812   Click image for larger version

Name:	5DF9ACEC-C88E-4AF5-BE4A-C511D9C5CEE9.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	240813  
Old 12-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #15
CuzzA

Very nice, Rich! What's your address and phone number to the new shop?