Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 12-30-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
kodama

Speargun Balistics as Discussed by Dapiran.it

I recently cam across these pages written by Dapiran in the early 2000's.

I am sure that most of you who are interested have had a look at these before. I am using a translation plug in in my browser to decipher his writings and find them extremely interesting. Especially the things he explains about how shafts are lifted out of the track as soon as they exist the trigger mechanism.
Of what I understand from his articles is that he concludes that the stiffness of the shaft, speed and stability during flight are the most important ingredients for accuracy. Nothing new there but there seems much more to learn from his findings.

I just wish there where more people like him (and some others from this forum) who would continue testing spearguns, and share their findings.

The influence he has had on (euro)speargun design in the last decades in note worthy as well.

Also the single roller trigger design of course caught my eye.

Would love to hear other peoples thoughts on his findings.

Last edited by kodama; 12-30-2018 at 09:49 AM.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
Behslayer

Re: Speargun Balistics as Discussed by Dapiran.it

Dapiran's work and designs have influenced a lot of what you've been using. Greatly respected by many builders.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
popgun pete

Re: Speargun Balistics as Discussed by Dapiran.it

I read his articles many years ago, the auto translator stuffed some things up, but it was relatively easy to work out what was being said. Most of it was logical, but being set down for those who did not think about it before. There are many factors to consider, one being bands laying on the bodywork at full stretch as when they fatten up they can lift the spear tail during the shot.

A lot depends on whether you use your gun in the KABOOM mode of spearfishing, i.e. the gun straining at the max, or are using more frequent shots with reloads in a shorter space of time at fairly easy to shoot prey. Guns are more problematic at maximum grunt even when the spear can get out of the gun without jumping around on the bodywork as that can expose some problems, but consistent shots are what you want and your “shoot now” brain does the rest. I never bother with shooting targets other than fish.

Too many guns and too many set-up changes and your "shoot now" brain loses its calibration, so keep it simple and down to a few different reliable guns and shafts, the latter being expendable due to being lost or ruined.

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-30-2018 at 03:31 PM.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote