Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-16-2017, 11:10 PM   #61
jstiver09

Re: Has anyone worked on developing speargun sights?

Come on guys...lasers for a gun that shoots 20 feet. This is hysterical. I can't imagine the ball busting that would happen to the poor bastard that brings his laser sighted speargun on a trip with my group of dive buddies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:21 PM   #62
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstiver09 View Post
Come on guys...lasers for a gun that shoots 20 feet. This is hysterical. I can't imagine the ball busting that would happen to the poor bastard that brings his laser sighted speargun on a trip with my group of dive buddies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't ruin this I'm enjoying seeing who thinks this is a good idea

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:14 AM   #63
malibujohn

Every time I open this thread, It's like the twilight zone!
malibujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:13 AM   #64
popgun pete

Joe revived this thread from its slumber, so I finally decided to check out his website. Examples are shown of laser products in many applications, but note the prices!
https://lasertoolsco.com/
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:07 AM   #65
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Joe revived this thread from its slumber, so I finally decided to check out his website. Examples are shown of laser products in many applications, but note the prices!
https://lasertoolsco.com/
Yeah, I checked it out early on, too and a tad tongue in cheek commented that only an affordable option would work. But as always, one man's affordable is another's expensive.

As to who thinks this is viable? Sure, I would consider making one just for the challenge. If you have a lathe or know someone who does, it could be made dirt cheap with Chinese hardware. You could likely even buy a cheapo Chinese dive light and use that as a host for the laser.
But I have at least a few other things, I'd much rather work on (carbon fiber polespear these days and and carbon fiber pneumatic next) so I doubt I will ever get to the laser.
That said, I would think many bubble blowing spearos would find it alluring - they have weird standards already;-).
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #66
Joe Wortsmith
Joe

I'll look in to it but there's no trigger. I wonder if the beam is concentric to the case? I'd probably have to rig some sighting adjustments. I'd rather spent more to get all the features. Example: I was shooting Bass this weekend with a Daryl Wong 42" without a laser and passed on a 10 Lb Blue Catfish because the Cat was hovering over a rock bottom and I was directly over him. If I had shot and missed, I would surely have screwed the tip of my 7.5mm spear. I've done it before more than once.
Joe Wortsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:07 PM   #67
Xylophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wortsmith View Post
I'll look in to it but there's no trigger. I wonder if the beam is concentric to the case? I'd probably have to rig some sighting adjustments. I'd rather spent more to get all the features. Example: I was shooting Bass this weekend with a Daryl Wong 42" without a laser and passed on a 10 Lb Blue Catfish because the Cat was hovering over a rock bottom and I was directly over him. If I had shot and missed, I would surely have screwed the tip of my 7.5mm spear. I've done it before more than once.
Unless it's a slip tip I never let rocks stop me from shooting a fish. That's what a file/bench grinder is for.
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #68
Joe Wortsmith
Joe

Good point. Pun intended.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:10 AM   #69
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

this vintage Majd thread has been quiet for awhile, so here goes! WARNING pedantic gun building/modding crap ahead

in the endless, circuitous quest to translate target-shooting accuracy to instinctive shooting out in the big blue, i'm constantly experimenting with any aspect of gun design that might help the cause.

after having taken the open-sight-view thing to its logical extreme with lowest-profile loading pad and bands and butt mods etc, awhile back i randomly decided to go the other way with raised loading pad, and been having great results. the base of the sight vee is about 20mm above the shaft axis, pretty high, as can see from the side pic below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loading-pad-sight-high-aim.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	238865   Click image for larger version

Name:	loading-pad-sight-high-side.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	238866   Click image for larger version

Name:	loading-pad-sight-high-top.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	238867  

Last edited by kavachi; 07-23-2018 at 04:48 AM. Reason: crap
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:45 AM   #70
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

the bigger, higher loading pad originally came about whilst working on extra buoyancy in the butt of my dense wood guns, keeping em light in the hand and slightly muzzle-down when left to hang in the water.
started with the base of the vee around 30mm above shaft axis but found was shooting a bit high, sanded down to 20mm and really happy with the accuracy in the average 4.5 metre range this gun's used for.

tradewind season here so havent had chance to go thru this process with my triple 15mm band gun, which currently has the standard loading pad-flush-with-mech-roof

at the end of the day its only part of the sighting equation, perspective of which of course changes with range, and am shooting instinctually anyway - but hey, working for me
Old 07-23-2018, 05:08 AM   #71
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

looking forward to getting rid of that line guide pin in the sight picture, so there's zero clutter - just the loading pad vee and the shaft cone, nothing else
but that's for another thread
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sight-line-guide.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	238868  
Old 07-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #72
Joe Wortsmith
Joe

Laser Tools Co. manufactures Speargun Laser Sights that mount on the back of the gun. The laser beam can be red or green and it's adjusted to hit a target that's slipped onto the end of the shaft. The laser beam module is mounted so that the laser beam shoots parallel to the shaft. A remote trigger design is available that houses the battery and momentary switch. This means that traditional aiming is still recommended but the laser dot is used to refine the shot. Deflection shots are easy to make and longer distance shots with rollers can be attempted.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #73
Joe Wortsmith
Joe

Here's a picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5th GoPro camera with Speargun 015.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	238872  
Old 07-24-2018, 08:43 PM   #74
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

have also experimented with with all sorts of shapes and angles for loading pad aim window, and the straight wide 'vee' works best for me. better than curved or flat or notched.

...and no, the cat's head shape was not intentional
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	loading-pad-sight-high-aim.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	238895  
Old 07-27-2018, 04:01 AM   #75
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
this vintage Majd thread has been quiet for awhile, so here goes! WARNING pedantic gun building/modding crap ahead ..........the base of the sight vee is about 20mm above the shaft axis, pretty high, as can see from the side pic below
proof in the sight view pudding, from this evening. 13.5kg mack shot at max range, no laser. Not quite spine shot so had a lotta work to do bareback

anyone else using raised loading pad for sighting?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0662-2-.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	238912