Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
ibra5

Spearfishing while on your period.

I was a little bit curious since we brought 2 girls with us last time. and one of them was on her period.

Do you guys think that it would create any issues if the shark mafia shows up?
Just wondering, i wanna take every precaution when out spearing since i dont have a boat and only do shore dives right now. I had to put up with sharks when far from the beach before, but i am not sure if mentioned body fluids will make any difference.

Thanks.
ibra5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
speargunhunter
favorite speargun? Wong.

Re: Spearfishing while on your period.

OK.... lol 38 views and no replies. Its a good question. .........huh........as far as ive been told when ladies are in water they dont flow nearly as much for some reason plus you know the tam^%$n absorbs most of it. But im a guy so......OMG LADIES help me out here. It IS a good question!

For me there's only One Choice...."WONG".

www.wongguns.com
speargunhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
cvbeam
Chas

Don't have the link, but on Mythbusters they did an experiment with blood and sharks. The first one they pricked a finger and dropped human blood into a shark infested tank (small sharks). The sharks continued their normal pattern circling around the tank and did not react to the blood at all (no change in behavior).

For the second half they used the same tank and a similar amount of blood from a fish, immediately the sharks went crazy and were piling up on each other at the point of origin of the fish blood. There was a very noticeable change in behavior, suggesting that there is something distinguishable in fish blood.

Don't know if it is true or not, or even answers your question, but I found it interesting.
cvbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:02 AM   #4
fishingdude
Lost at Sea.....

Send a message via AIM to fishingdude

Ha! Just when I thought there could be no weirder questions posted on here! can't wait for a woman to chime in.

4-6 is always better than 9-5

Check out my YouTube Channel:
SPEARFISHING VIDEOS
fishingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:36 AM   #5
Doing Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbeam View Post
Don't have the link, but on Mythbusters they did an experiment with blood and sharks. The first one they pricked a finger and dropped human blood into a shark infested tank (small sharks). The sharks continued their normal pattern circling around the tank and did not react to the blood at all (no change in behavior).

For the second half they used the same tank and a similar amount of blood from a fish, immediately the sharks went crazy and were piling up on each other at the point of origin of the fish blood. There was a very noticeable change in behavior, suggesting that there is something distinguishable in fish blood.

Don't know if it is true or not, or even answers your question, but I found it interesting.
What he says here makes perfect sense to me. Its just like Pavlov's dog. The overwhelming majority of the time when a shark has a meal it likely smells the blood and oils of its prey (normally a sea creature) so it is reasonable that a shark smelling fish blood would associate that smell with a meal and react accordingly.

Crude jokes aside, menstruating women don't smell like fish and therefore are far less likely in my opinion to trigger a shark to think of food when that signal crosses their brain, though it could likely be conditioned to. In other words the smell of a women on her period means no more to a shark then the word "here" means to my dog. Now "treat" on the other hand gets an immediate response.
5869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:09 AM   #6
locapitano

They makes me think of the movie "Anchor Man"

"THEY CAN SMELL THE MENSTRUATION!!" LOL

Lionfish by locapitano, on Flickr
locapitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
Sebastian2

My wife is a shark researcher and she was telling me that it is a complete myth that women should not go into the water when menstruating. Growing up on long island she was told the same thing as a kid, but she knows better now.

I think I saw that 'Mythbuster' experiment on youtube and I wouldn't give a rats ass about their results. They had three little shark in a tiny, tiny tank, did only do one test run and thought they could interpret the behavior of the sharks? Completely ridiculous. That being said, if I remember correctly they used tiny black tip reef sharks for their 'experiment', and it would make sense if they go after the blood of fish, but not humans. They should try that in a huge tank with sharks that actually have mammals on their menu.
Sebastian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
speargunhunter
favorite speargun? Wong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingdude View Post
Ha! Just when I thought there could be no weirder questions posted on here! can't wait for a woman to chime in.
You know they reading this but aint touching it! lol Hey you dont think its NOT uncomfortable for us guys to try to help on this ? kinda Like the guys on 3 men and a baby. We dont know WHAT the hell we're talking about but were trying.................Come on girls help us out.....WERE DYING HERE!

For me there's only One Choice...."WONG".

www.wongguns.com
speargunhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian2 View Post
I think I saw that 'Mythbuster' experiment on youtube and I wouldn't give a rats ass about their results. They had three little shark in a tiny, tiny tank, did only do one test run and thought they could interpret the behavior of the sharks? Completely ridiculous. That being said, if I remember correctly they used tiny black tip reef sharks for their 'experiment', and it would make sense if they go after the blood of fish, but not humans. They should try that in a huge tank with sharks that actually have mammals on their menu.
First of all, it's MythBusters. They aren't trying to run a scientifically viable experiment...just illustrate a point for the general public. There is research out there on shark olfaction that demonstrates that they are more sensitive to certain specific amino acids than others.

As far as the stuff I bolded...the Mythbusters' "test" used juvenile lemon sharks. And doing such a test with larger sharks that have "mammals" in their diet would be VERY difficult, as the few species that feed primarily on mammals are not often kept in captivity (white sharks, tigers) nor would they be encountered regularly by us. Of course I would hope by you're statement you are not implying that people are the "mammals" on the menu.

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯( __.•´¯(__.•´¯(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
Sebastian2

No reason to go off on my statement, pirate. As I said, I've seen it a while back and it was by no means a scientific experiment, just something that was shown on the degraded Discovery channel. I just don't like to see things like that on television and people take it for real. If they were juvenile lemons or black tips does not make a real difference in such a pseudo scientific experiment (I just watched it again, and you were right they said they were lemon sharks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_diver View Post
They aren't trying to run a scientifically viable experiment...just illustrate a point for the general public.
Yep, and it is a disservice to the general public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_diver View Post
As far as the stuff I bolded...the Mythbusters' "test" used juvenile lemon sharks. And doing such a test with larger sharks that have "mammals" in their diet would be VERY difficult, as the few species that feed primarily on mammals are not often kept in captivity (white sharks, tigers) nor would they be encountered regularly by us. Of course I would hope by you're statement you are not implying that people are the "mammals" on the menu.
Did you really think I was suggesting running an olfactory experiment with a Great White in a large tank? I'm sure the Discovery channel would love that. No, I was saying that this 'experiment' was pretty pointless, and so is your taking apart of my post.

-s

Last edited by Sebastian2; 06-06-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Sebastian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
Marco

Thare are two things that smell like fish. And one is fish.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
toastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
hahaha
toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
toastman

This thread has potential epicness
toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #14
fishingdude
Lost at Sea.....

Send a message via AIM to fishingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post

4-6 is always better than 9-5

Check out my YouTube Channel:
SPEARFISHING VIDEOS
fishingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #15
Bill McIntyre

I don't care what the experiments show. I'm not going to risk it.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote