Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
Fox55

Closed-cell vs. open cell wetsuit

So I haven't had to buy a new wetsuit for a long time and I've never had one of these open cell suits. I'm reading that they're quite a bit warmer then a closed-cell suit. so I typically dive San Diego in a 3 mm closed-cell suit so if I pick up a new open cell 3mm am I going to be incredibly warm to the point where I'm uncomfortable.
Fox55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
SEATUX

Re: Closed-cell vs. open cell wetsuit

It is a shame...
I understand why you are saying what you are..
But it is Totally Wrong.
What you are referring to are "sheared skin" suits, which means that the suit is made with "skin" in…( not a laminated nylon or lycra, but the raw neoprene) but not smooth skin, a SHEARED skin.
Neoprene is like a rubber with a lot of "air" bubbles ( for insulation) if they shear it they cut thru those air bubbles ( sometimes other gases are used that are WAY more efficient than air). thus creating lots of little half balloons…or suction cups. This is what is holding tight to your skin, all those little suction cups…it has NOTHING to do with insulation of the suit ( which has EVERYTHING to do with the thickness and type of neoprene used) the suction merely reduces the ability of water to circulate between you and the suit.
But, Some mfg have used the term "open cell" so you of cource repeat it. Let me tell you what the difference is between "open cell" and "closed cell". ALL DIVING SUITS are made of CLOSED cell…if you hold the material up to your lips and suck or blow it will not pass thru the material. Open cell is primarily used for orthopedic devices…it BREATHS…hold it up to your mouth and suck or blow and air passes thru it…you think open cell neoprene would work in a wet suit? If water would freely pass thru your suit do you think you would be warm? Of cource not…
But I understand…some mfg started calling it that and so the end user believes it…
That's not the Only lie ever told to the end user….that gets regurgitated.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:00 PM   #3
Fox55

Okay my bad! But so are these style suits with no lining in them that much warmer than a suit with lining?
So if this is the case and neoprene without a lining is warmer then if I get a 2 mm suit with no lining am I going to be just as warm as a suit with lining at 3mm?
Old 07-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
jfjf

A 3 mm freedive suit with an attached hood and no zippers is going to be a lot warmer than a typical scuba suit with zippers and no attached hood.

A good bit of the improvement is probably associated with the hood and no chance for leaks around the neck.

What temperature range are you going to use the suit in?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:50 PM   #5
SEATUX

Man…where do I start to answer that question!
First off, there are Hundreds, if not Thousands of different Neoprene blends. Some are Way better than others, for Some uses. Some are Very stretchy, but compress under depth easily, some don’t have much stretch, but don’t compress and are Very efficient thermo barriers. Some rip easily, some are tough as nails…on and on and on. But the particular neoprene is only one part of the formula…
How is the suit constructed? When your talking the thicker suits your almost always talking glued and blind stitched seams ( which are the Strongest, easiest to repair, and air/water tight) but when you get too thin it becomes very hard to glue and blind stitch so other methods are used, those methods go from bad to even worse than bad. They are not strong, they leak water, rip easy and are hard to repair.
How about the cut? There are suits that are cut well and those that are not, and we haven't touched on fit!
But ask which is better, Ford or Chevy…
You ask which suit to buy and all sorts of people will chime in on what you should do.
Reminds me of Skin Diver Magazine ( probably been gone since before you were born) . There used to be a 1/3 page add in every issue of custom suits for sale, just fill out the measurement chart and send in $49.95 and get a two piece custom cut suit! As the years went on the price went up, but it was always a HUGE bargain! Skin diver ran an article on wetsuits one year and had several pages in the magazine for you to fill out to rate your off the rack or custom suit. They found that the "skin diver custom suit" was ranked way worse than Parkway, or Fathom, or Blue Water, or ANY of the major brands of that day…for fit, construction, warmth, durability, comfort…every category..except ONE…it got the highest mark on " would you recommend this suit to your best friend?" and it out ranked all other suits! And why/ Because it was.." Such a good value"!
So go ahead…ask for advice as to which wetsuit you should buy, I'll go get the popcorn.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:47 PM   #6
Fox55

?????? thanks for the input I do appreciate it I'm just wondering are they actually warmer. I work for scuba Sciences years ago we never had this type of suit so I have no experience with this type and no idea if they actually are warmer or not
Old 07-17-2018, 11:05 PM   #7
rootsman
Jeff

The unlined suits are warmer because when you submerge the air is forced out and the suit sticks to your skin, preventing water from circulating between the skin and the suit as it does in a surf suit. I use a 3 mil unlined suit in water temps from 60-80 without issue and it is a great all-around thickness. If you get hot, you can just let a little water in. The only drawback to unlined suits is that with the lack of water circulation it is kind of gross to piss in the suit cause you're swimming in it for the rest of the dive.
rootsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
Fox55

So it's basically like peeing in your drysuit
Old 07-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #9
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootsman View Post
The only drawback to unlined suits is that with the lack of water circulation it is kind of gross to piss in the suit cause you're swimming in it for the rest of the dive.
You might add that they are delicate, rips and punchers come easy, bare neoprene has very little strength ( compared to nylon or lycra).
And..
You cant blind stitch the sheared side, so the blind stitching is only on one side, thus reducing the seam strength by 50% ( provided the suit is blind stitched, if it is thru stitched its gonna rip on the "dotted lines" no matter).

There are some suits made now with a "liquid seam" that is quite strong and can be used on the thinner of suits, provided they didn't try to stitch under the liquid seam.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #10
Fox55

I think I'll stay with a lined suit.