Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
Devildiver
Casey H.

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildiver
Newport Spearfishing Report - August 16

Seawolf and I met up at the Rogue Brewery Sunday at 0900 for some jetty spearing. We were hoping to get into some rockfish, Lingcod, and Cabezon. Halibut was closed down for the season, so we didn't waste any time on them. We were in the water by 9:45, which was a balmy 55, with vis close to 15'

working out way out on the East side of a 1-200 yard rubble finger, we found plenty of red rock crab, but no fish. After about an hour of checking holes and looking for any signs of life, I crossed over to the West side. I made a dive to about 20', and swam along the side of a large rock structure. Ahead of me was a wall of kelp, to my left was the open water and sandy bottom, to my right the wall turned into a small cove. I swam into the cove looking for any holes for fish to hide in, and sure enough found a dark spot right in the corner. I drug my rock grabbing floatline to give me some slack while I stuck my flashlight into the darkness where I saw a black gag grouper - or what I can only describe as that. It was a HUGE black rockfish, probably 10-12lbs

I'm not sure if it was the shock of finally seeing a fish after half an hour of emptyness, or shock at how big the fish was, or even if it was because I was wrestling with my damn float line, but either way, by the time I squeezed the trigger, he had retreated too far into the cave.

I came up, reloaded, and prepared to dive on him again. Subsequent dives produced nothing. I guess that's how he got so big.

On the surface Tyson (Seawolf) confirmed that he had seen one or two similarly sized fish, but that they were "smart bro".

High tide was at 10:23, at which point vis degraded to 8-10', which is still great for Newport.

We continued to hunt our way out the finger into deeper water, picking up crab along the way. Before we reached the point Tyson said, "the point is going to be good", and he was right. I dove down in about 20 - 25' of water right into the middle of a school of black rockfish. Picking the biggest one I could find, I let lose. The shaft went through his body just behind the gills, and above the lat line, but did not stone him. He swam deep into the rocks, and tied my shaft up. I spent the next 15 min un-****ing myself, all the while Tyson is slaying the rest of the school.

I finally got my shaft back without the black on it, and went back to spearing. The next fish I hit stayed on, and ended up being about an 18" red.

We speared on into the day until we had each reached our 6 fish limit. On the way back towards shore, we concentrated on finding lings, but to no avail.

All in all we were in the water for 3 hours, caught 13 red rock, and one dungeoness. We each limited out with 6 rockfish, and 0 ling or cab.

While we were cleaning our fish by the brewery, several people came up to clean their Albacore. One group had actually bought it from some commercial guys, but they were there none the less. More motivation for the upcoming tuna trip.

we're still looking for one or two more divers for that trip, so let me know!
Devildiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Devildiver
Casey H.

Re: Newport Spearfishing Report - August 16

Here are some pics:

Pre dive scouting

Getting ready to dive

You can just make out the rock finger in the water

After the dive - Two successful hunters!!

Cleaning station

The Rockfish

Who wants to go next?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
flyingfish

dang man nice catch. Your makin me really wish I had come. I just gotta get all my gear in order then i'll be ready for a trip down there congrats.
flyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
riobuster

Nice pics!, brings back memories. Jon and I had a great time at that finger, that's where I dropped down on the big ling (without my gun) We had a good time with the school of blacks off the point also. How was the current?
Old 08-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Devildiver
Casey H.

Where was that ling? We didn't see ANY sign of them.

Current was passing through, maybe a knot. It was barely noticeable unless you went up on a high point, and even then it was nothing.

You guys coming back up at all?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
barbin35

That is nice I was hoping to go today but did not get the chance to. Do you know what finger that was that looks like about the second or third counting from the big bridge.
barbin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:59 PM   #7
Devildiver
Casey H.

You'll find fish on all of the fingers, but we were hunting #1
Old 08-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
riobuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildiver View Post
Where was that ling? We didn't see ANY sign of them.

Current was passing through, maybe a knot. It was barely noticeable unless you went up on a high point, and even then it was nothing.

You guys coming back up at all?
He was on the ocean side of the finger, maybe 15 yards from shore. It was the first time I used my new freedive suit and the very first dive down to see what I could see. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the ling, it was about 30" long and I thought Oregon jetty diving rocks! Of course when I got back with my gun I couldn't find it again. there were 3 scuba divers spearfishing that finger the next day so maybe they got the ling. It was low slack tide when we dove the first time, the second time we dove that finger the current was really moving and it was hard to stay on the rocks. Vis was only 3-4 feet or so and maybe a little better off the point. We also dove a couple of the other fingers and they all seem to have blacks off the points.
Won't be back this year.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
Devildiver
Casey H.

Thanks for the report.

I dont worry about scuba guys too much (I also scuba FYI). I have pulled up on a wreck where scuba guys are just finishing up saying "there's nothing down there....bla bla bla. We drop on it freediving, and it's loaded with fish! Not that they wouldn't try to throw the competition off, but scuba is noisy.

well, let me know next time you're up. we should have the Albacore hunting down by then
Old 08-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #10
seawolf
Winter Is Always Here

It was great to get out for my first Oregon freediving experience. Thank you Casey, let's find those cabs and lings next time.
seawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
Devildiver
Casey H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
It was great to get out for my first Oregon freediving experience. Thank you Casey, let's find those cabs and lings next time.
I got word on the ling hotel yesterday. We'll have to check it out next time you're free.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
seawolf
Winter Is Always Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildiver View Post
I got word on the ling hotel yesterday. We'll have to check it out next time you're free.
I might be able to do something this weekend. Let me know.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #13
Devildiver
Casey H.

I've got a family reunion this weekend. I'll be there labor day weekend, or I could do some other time.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:09 AM   #14
sharik

I'd be down to go sometime, I can't go this weekend I'm going to california, but any time after i'm totally down.
sharik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:15 AM   #15
seawolf
Winter Is Always Here

Hey sharik, did you spear that pike in your avatar? I've always wanted to take one by spear.