Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > Repairs to Engines and Boats

Repairs to Engines and Boats BOAT means "Break Out Another Thousand" to many of us. Discuss your engine and hull repairs here.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
Reel Spearit
Schmitty

Heat exchanger question

Has anybody replaced the end caps, gasket and o rings on a volva penta heat exchanger? It looks very straight forward any advice or tips would be helpful.
Thanks, Jason
Reel Spearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #2
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Re: Heat exchanger question

I have not on a VP but most are pretty straight forward. Take it apart and see how the Oring is set and clean it out, and put it back together. I take the tube bundle out and fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and muratic acid. About 1/2 a gallon acid to 3 gallons of water. I put in the tube bundle and all tubes should bubble, if not take a bronze brazing rod and poke and clean it out. Let it bubble for 10 minutes and take it out and put in other end. Rinse well with a hose shooting it in all holes, making sure they are clear. Make sure you always have a good zinc too.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
Reel Spearit
Schmitty

Thanks for the information. Would you use a sealing compound on the end caps and gaskets?
Old 02-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

I use silicone sealant. Both sides of the gasket. Bolt up evenly and tight right after you put on sealant. O ring doesnt need any. I used to be a marine diesel mechanic, still doing it on others boats, and my own.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:42 AM   #5
1000ft2TheBeach
LEEEEEEEEF!

I prefer not to use muriatic acid, it is very caustic to your skin and the semi precious metals in all of your raw water system components. For this I use Barnacle buster which you usually mix 1-4 bb-water. Why this is better in my opinion is, if you get distracted and have an already older unit that you are submerging in muriatic acid you can quite rapidly get holes in the hose ends, we had used muriatic for years, however the barnacle buster will mainly only eat away at the scale and rather rapidly as well, but even if you left it for a few hours or overnight you will still have your part left. On silicon: use it sparingly on rough or uneven surfaces, I haven taken apart many engines & components that are caked with the excess silicon clogging many important throughways and oil screens. If you have any wuestions feel free to hit me up. 949 424-4076
Lower running temp back to normal and save a boatload of cash. I have descaled hundreds of yachts, sportfishers and boats with a 99.5% success rate. I also do any other repairs on diesel main engines or generators. Authorized Northern Lights dealer
Marinedieselservices.com
More Details on our one day descaling Here: http://unbouncepages.com/heatexchangerservice-1/
1000ft2TheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:24 PM   #6
Reel Spearit
Schmitty

Thanks for all the information! Just completed the job on mine. Replaced the end cap gaskets and O rings with new ones from volva penta. Used a gasket sealing compound on the gasket and O rings. So far no leaks.....
Jason