Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #1
Stray_Turtle
Stray Turtle

New Nautilus LifeLine Marine Rescue GPS

I have an older LifeLine with the VHS Radio (love it), we just received the new model that is just a rescue GPS. Looking online to learn exactly how they operate, not finding much. States that it transmits GPS Position to boats 34 miles (not very impressive, the old model has 4,000 square mile radius) how exactly does it do this? Dose it just send a distress single with your coordinates over Channel 16 repeatedly?
Stray_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
sealark

Re: New Nautilus LifeLine Marine Rescue GPS

They transmit your identity and position by gps. The vhs is for voice communications to local boats or CG. I have one about 5 years old it has gps and several vhs channels.
sealark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
Stray_Turtle
Stray Turtle

Yea I know how the older model works, not sure how the new ones do. It's just a Marine Rescue GPS, it states that it transmits your coordinates to all vessels around you for 34 miles.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Not a chance that signal is going more than a few miles unless it's via satellite relay. I've tried finding an old one for sale,the new ones,seem pretty lame.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:29 PM   #5
quatin

From the sounds of it, this is just normal DSC protocol. I own the original Lifeline VHF. The radio range is only 2 miles, but it can hop from radio to radio on other boats. The limit is 34 miles, so your distress call doesn't end up thousands of miles away on boats that can't help you anyways. Misleading marketing limericks shall I say?
quatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #6
Stray_Turtle
Stray Turtle

Yea I'm not too happy with the new ones, 90% of the time I'm 40-60 miles offshore. Also they are not made with the same quality as the older model.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:42 AM   #7
captain.ed

Couple of notes on these. They transmit in the VHF range and most handhelds are limited to 3-5 watts of transmission output. VHF signals are often referred to as "line of sight" transmissions. That means they punch right through the ionosphere and don't bounce back to Earth. It also means that the transmission radiates from the transmitting antenna and does not follow the curviture of the earth. Consequently range is going to be limited by the curviture of the earth to the receiving antenna. As for the transmission wattage, 3-5 watt transmissions are pretty weak and don't travel clearly for long distances.
It's possible the signal could be heard from sea level to 34 miles but a lot of other variables can impact transmission; dust, humidity, time of day, precipitation, physical obstructions.
All that said, it's a hell of a lot more effective than waving a fin over your head. Make sure you know how to use it and that it works. I had one and it had about 10 minutes of battery life. Knowing how long the battery would last was important because I knew I could turn it on and off for periods of time that would improve my chances for rescue. I never had to use it though.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk