Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-28-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Mythicon Spearguns

Has anyone put these guns through the paces? They have amazing shape and what appears to be a fantastic layout with really long band stretch. I think my next big gun might be an Mythicon Erevos
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:04 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Mythicon Spearguns

http://www.mythicon.gr/

Hmm, 6 mm bands x 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Erevos.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	242721  

Last edited by popgun pete; 05-28-2019 at 08:14 PM.
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
http://www.mythicon.gr/

Hmm, 6 mm bands x 3.
Pretty sure that was a typo haha. Unless they’ve developed an new super thin band I’m sure it’s 16mm
Old 05-29-2019, 07:58 PM   #4
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolinedaniel View Post
Pretty sure that was a typo haha. Unless they’ve developed an new super thin band I’m sure it’s 16mm
Just a humorous comment at their expense as 6 mm bands would look like shoelaces when stretched. They have got it right on all their other models at 16 mm, including four bands on their “Dragonian” model.

"The only speargun in the world equipped with "Water Ballast System" it described as the capability of the gun to fill some of each parts with water for better buoyancy and better underwater control. It comes with 1.80m x 8mm shaft and 4 sets of 16mm rubbers."
https://youtu.be/-Fyfkrt7AOs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mythicon Dragonian.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	242724  

Last edited by popgun pete; 05-29-2019 at 08:10 PM. Reason: added video of gun shooting in pool at 7 meters, dead center!
Old 05-30-2019, 12:33 AM   #5
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Just a humorous comment at their expense as 6 mm bands would look like shoelaces when stretched. They have got it right on all their other models at 16 mm, including four bands on their “Dragonian” model.

"The only speargun in the world equipped with "Water Ballast System" it described as the capability of the gun to fill some of each parts with water for better buoyancy and better underwater control. It comes with 1.80m x 8mm shaft and 4 sets of 16mm rubbers."
https://youtu.be/-Fyfkrt7AOs
Looks like a beastly Gun. Now that Sea Sniper and Slingfish are out of business I think that snippet about being the only water ballasted gun is correct
Old 05-30-2019, 02:05 AM   #6
popgun pete

Back in the day, although it was never spoken of as such, guns such as the Voit Swimaster tube guns, now JBL, had free-flooding barrels and thus were water ballasted. As spearing on scuba back then was still widespread divers wanted guns that did not head to the surface when they released them to grab onto the fish. Today we take it for granted that most tube guns float, but that came relatively later when freedivers did not want to retrieve their discharged gun from the bottom, plus some buoyancy in the gun body offset the weight of the gun when swimming with it. By way of contrast most of the early euroguns floated as their tube barrels were plugged with corks, although they were not necessarily great floaters.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:01 AM   #7
Marco

There's more water ballasted spearguns out there. But less known than Myticons.

I have one made by a Colombian Master Builder (Luis Guillermo Martinez, better known as Memo). The gun is called "Kraken" and it is a beast. I got a nice wahoo first time I used it. It has an oval shaped alluminum barrell with two water ballasted channels along it. It absorbs the recoil of two very short 16 mm bands and a 8 mm shaft very well. And costs a fraction of a Myticon or other fancy spearguns, not to mention it takes some serious beating.

Here in action (Minute 4:44 you'll see the Kraken):

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180519_175620_resized.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	242727  

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work

Last edited by Marco; 05-30-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Marco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:50 AM   #8
Behslayer

I never seen a Mythicon in person. They look nice. But the claim that they are the "Only Gun in the World equipped with a Water Ballast System" is not accurate.

One of the companies that also offers Water Ballast Guns is Ramey Spearguns. Jake Ramey is based in Hawaii and makes some really nice guns.

Rameycustoms.com or on Instagram, Facebook.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 8.44.12 PM.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	242758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 8.44.32 PM.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	242759  
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:01 AM   #9
Castronova
The Conch Republic

I had the erevos for a short period of time. It seemed to shoot ok but I did not get to use a whole lot. Bands came a little too long IMO. The thing I liked least about the gun was with the shaft in sank like a rock. If you accidentally let it go you had about 1 second to start your retrieval dive or it was gone/getting to the bottom. Not something I was used to, maybe all CF guns are this way.

The trigger on mine was so far I could barely get my finger tip to touch it, a good 3/4" further than I could ever imagine putting the trigger. The owner said that was adjustable but I never got to it.

The owner has been down to the keys a couple times, he went down to the Tortugas with us but on another boat. Very nice and funny guy. The carbon fiber on the gun perfect. That's about all I got for you.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote