Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Old 04-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
WiscoSpearo

Spearing the Big Island

New to Spearboard.

I'm Ethan from Wisconsin, and I have been spearfishing for the last 6 years. I finally have an opportunity to visit Hawaii and i will be on the west side of the big island in Mauna Lani from April 13-April 19.

Spearing lakes in Wisconsin is relatively safe, and the few times I have been to the ocean(once in the Florida Keys to spear) I have learned to not underestimate it. That being said I would appreciate anyone with experience from the island to be a dive partner or possibly hook me up with someone. I'm available anytime of the day during that time span, but from what I have read, I will be targeting early morning calm water.

I'm bringing most of my gear except my OMER 5mm wetsuit. My Rob Allen 70cm will obviously lack range, and my dives will be short after a cold winter. But this is a dream trip to experience a wonderful place and ill be in the water regardless.

Hopefully I can see some of you out there.
WiscoSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
WiscoSpearo

Re: Spearing the Big Island

Here are some pictures of fish I have shot in the last few years. I had a picture of a gar too, but I can't seem to upload it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carp.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	216759   Click image for larger version

Name:	hogfish.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	216760   Click image for larger version

Name:	lotsocarp.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	216761  
Old 04-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #3
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB

You may want to try the HSD facebook page or the forums: You may be able to find someone that will take youj diving.

https://www.facebook.com/HawaiiSkinDiver

There are a number of people that you can hire to take you as well. (They teach intro to free diving classes a lot of the time) I found some guys on Maui (their advanced class was basically taking you fishing in the evening)
Alashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
deanmc
FII Professional

Look up Top Shot Spearfishing and hook up with Jeremy. I went out with him off Kona last October. He'll show you the ropes out there... oops sorry jst re-read your post, looks like I'm a little late!
deanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:47 PM   #5
WiscoSpearo

My last day is tomorrow. The reefs are great and the clarity is out of this world. I have one more day to spear and I think I'll try around Puako.

So far I have reached depths of 40 to 50 feet but mostly trying to stick to 20 and 30 so I can spend some time at the bottom.

Speared a good size Nenue (sea chub) and a good size parrot. They made tasty fish tacos.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:27 AM   #6
Stephane
Kayak spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alashaman View Post
You may want to try the HSD facebook page or the forums: You may be able to find someone that will take youj diving.

https://www.facebook.com/HawaiiSkinDiver

There are a number of people that you can hire to take you as well. (They teach intro to free diving classes a lot of the time) I found some guys on Maui (their advanced class was basically taking you fishing in the evening)
HSD forum has been down for at least the last few months....
Stephane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
Zpearo

Did you ever find any contacts out there to dive with? I'm going out there in the spring and want a dive buddy too.
Zpearo is offline   Reply With Quote