Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #76
inletsurf

Re: Bouncing

Nearly any significant change in density can be picked up with todays bottomfinders. Some are so sensitive, they can detect thermoclines and vegetation with relative ease. I know mine can. I often have to turn gain down just to not have a bait school look like a piece of jagged rock. And sometimes vegetation on hard bottom (fuzz) let's me know I'm close to the ledge. The filter settings are tweakable on my bottom finder, and they seem to be a variable bandpass type rejection anyway. I'd be willing to bet you can certainly detect sharks, with the right gain settings.

Last edited by inletsurf; 08-20-2009 at 08:34 AM.
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #77
nailman
Sponsor

Great fish and report as usual guys. See u in the grounds soon.....I hope.

Warning: If it is not spearfishing related and positive in nature then keep your stupid ass away from my threads!
nailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #78
Straight Hook
Straight Hook

Dan, Moose, Ricky & Rich / Team Headhunter

You guys continue to produce fish that no one (or at least a very few) can compete

with. It is amazing the size and quality of fish you bring up from the depths.

Big beautiful Carbos, AJs, Cuberas, Big Muttons, etc............

Thanks for sharing all the photos and well written recollections of your encounters.

Dan, it must have been really strange to see that monster sawfish.................how long

would you estimate he was (Including his Saw Snout)?

You guys amaze many of us.

Thanks again for sharing!!

Dive Safe,

SH

Dive Smart / Dive Safe

Remember................the fish don't need to be hungry to take them with the "Straight Hook"
Straight Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #79
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Sweet bunch of fish!

Chad
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #80
JimC

Wow, Kenny with a new gun and a line shaft that could've been a disaster. Way to go, nice fish. Cool getting to see the monster sawfish. That's one of the great things about the ocean is rare sights such as that.

My best sight was in 60' being surrounded by hundres of bull redfish, with in arms reach and not one less than 36". The water was crystal clear, with the sun glaring off them.

AmeraCat 31 XP

Protect Your Fishing Rights! Join the FRA TODAY!!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #81
gogators27
Lets shoot some fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Wow, Kenny with a new gun and a line shaft that could've been a disaster. Way to go, nice fish. Cool getting to see the monster sawfish. That's one of the great things about the ocean is rare sights such as that.

My best sight was in 60' being surrounded by hundres of bull redfish, with in arms reach and not one less than 36". The water was crystal clear, with the sun glaring off them.
Did they make a really loud base noise when they all snapped their tails at the same time? Had the same experience but it was in 40' and was amazing...

Dan and Crew, thanks for sharing, amazing report once again....
gogators27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #82
JimC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators27 View Post
Did they make a really loud base noise when they all snapped their tails at the same time? Had the same experience but it was in 40' and was amazing...
nope, didn't hear any noise

AmeraCat 31 XP

Protect Your Fishing Rights! Join the FRA TODAY!!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #83
Joana Carvalho

Quote:
Into view......it's a massive sawfish. And I'm heading right at 'em. I don't use the word massive too often, but trust me, massive doesn't do this thing justice.

Dear Dan,

My name is Joana Fernandez de Carvalho and I am the representative of the National Sawfish Encounter Database. I saw your report saying that you saw a sawfish while diving at middle grounds, and I was wondering if you could take the time to fill our online reporting form for sawfish encounters.
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/sawfish/form.html

Besides sampling research, sawfish encounters reports are a very important tool for the evaluation of the species abundance and habitat range,
and since sawfish population are in decline, any information is invaluable. Thereby, your report can be a great help to the conservation efforts, specially because we don't get that many reports from that area. If you prefer you can contact me by e-mail at sawfish@flmnh.ufl.edu, we are specially interested in knowing the date of the encounter and specific location. All the information will only be used for our research.

Thank you very much for your help!

Joana Fernandez de Carvalho
Research Biologist
National Sawfish Encounter Database
Florida Program for Shark Research
Florida Museum of Natural History
Dickinson Hall- Museum Road
PO Box 117800
Gainesville FL 3261-17800
sawfish@flmnh.ufl.edu
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/sawfish/
Tel: 352-273-1955/352-392-2360
Joana Carvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #84
ozona79

I've been diving for 18 years, but reading these posts has made me realize I know very very little about diving, and apparently my fish finder as well. Great read guys, amazing fish too.

We got chased out off a spot about 30miles NW of Palm Harbor a couple months ago by a seismo boat towing a 6 mile cable. Very polite guys, but they strongly advised against diving anywhere near them.
ozona79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #85
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Waning nostalgic. Bippidy bump.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:09 PM   #86
CuzzA

Well, if you're gonna bump an almost decade old thread, this was a good choice.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #87
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Reading this thread brought back some pretty good memories.....I'll post a trip report or two this year, been too long.

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #88
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT View Post
That "drone" is a tail buoy, which provides GPS locations on the end of the streamer, The sound is coming from air powered "guns" (either made by my company Ion Geophysical or Bolt) that dump a scuba tank of 3000 psi air into the water over about 10 milliseconds. The "gun array" can have several dozen fired in sequence to give a low frequency sound wave at the desired direction. If you can see the main cable/gun boat it's probably best to stay out of the water there. At least put them over the horizon if you can. They generally run LONG lines at 5 knots, so it doesn't take them long to get out of the area. The guns will be within 200 yards of the stern of the cable ship, the active streamers can be up to 12 Km long, and a few operators are looking at towing longer ones. Bigger boats can deploy up to 20 streamers at once.
The chase boat is used to keep folks from crossing the cables with shrimp nets or props. That screws up both the seismic hardware and the boat that hits it.
Damn...I miss me some FredT. Always full of knowledge. Holla back, FredT. I hope you finally got your home restored/insurance paid from the hurricane. I recall you live like 20 miles inland and yet the insurance company rejected it because you didn't have flood insurance.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #89
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
When Dan called to say my new Rhino Gun was in and ready to try out I just couldn’t wait to get it wet! I told Dan I wanted to try it out on something worth shooting at and he didn’t let me down as this trip was a ringer for sure.

Earlier this year I was fortunate enough to give an Ocean Rhino a try and scored a personal best dog snapper and several full stringers in the process. This gave me the confidence to commit to a trip with a new gun but I had no idea I would be subjected to full on dragon slaying on my first drop. First off, I left my old gun at home. I knew I would have to do this due to the fact it would be too easy to jump back to my old friend if things didn’t work out. No need for that…….. The first drop had me directly over a 40+ gag 20 ft. below me on the bottom…….not a shot I like to take, but I lined up anyway and let it fly……Thip! (That is the noise I describe the sound the Rhino makes when you let one go). Long story short, I stoned the gag and the next 4 fish I slung steel at. I set a personal best on a running mutton, shot big carbos, mangos and jacks with absolutely no issues……with the gun that is! Yeah, yeah I know this sounds like an infomercial for new gun, but I’m damn happy with it and that is big news as I hate change in things that I feel don’t likely improve such as golf clubs, spearguns and pocket knives. My take is that if you like and use a “production” speargun, you will love this gun. If you find a better one for the price…..buy it! Kevin did an excellent job on designing a speargun that far exceeds my capabilities as a shooter. I shoot better with it and that is not a fairy tale or a buyer’s pipe dream. ……Just fact.

Thanks Dan for another great trip and for dropping me off in the deep end of the pool. Sink or swim baby......sink or swim!
can you put a pic up of your gun.
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #90
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropMan View Post
can you put a pic up of your gun.
which one.... I have a few.