Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #1
rysgates
The Modern Age Nomad

Attention fellow goat herders...

Currently looking at project topics for my BIO 43 class and thought I'd do a bit of reading about sheepheads. I found that wikipedia actually has a really great page about sheepheads and read one thing in particular that intrigued me and made me think that there is another reason that spearfishing is a more sustainable way to harvest goats. "As a reef fish, signals about the sheephead’s predation risk often comes from the presence of damage-released chemical cues produced by injured prey animals.[16] These clues are only released when the skin is ruptured, and act as a reliable indicator of the presence of an actively foraging predator.[16] Chemical cues may be released not only with injury, but also when pathogens or parasites penetrate the skin; therefore, the reliability of the chemical cues as indicators of predation risk is decreased.[16] When a sheephead is captured by a predator, and damage-released chemical cues are discharged, the information is available for both conspecifics and heterospecifics to use.[16]" I don't believe that these chemical cues trigger a flight response, because I have harvested two mature goats from the same spot within a few minutes of each other. But I do think that maybe these cues can signal nearby females to turn to males. Let me know what you guys think.

Here is the link to the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_sheephead
If I decide to do more research about goats I'll drop more links in here!

(P.S. Not posting this to get bashed for taking goats, I'm pretty careful about responsible/sustainable harvesting, so don't be quick to judge if you don't dive with me)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
=___________________________________________
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllll````````/
///////\ |
//////----
/////
rysgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #2
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Attention fellow goat herders...

+1 for title alone.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:07 PM   #3
battleborn702

Well presented theory. Would be interesting for a long term study.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
battleborn702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #4
Lompoc Local
Errin

You shouldn't be taking sheephead bro. You might as well shoot rockfish at that point...

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
Lompoc Local
Errin

Why do you hate kelp?

Old 02-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
kelppaddie

The chemical cues for danger are especially prominent in the cyprinids I do not know how established they are in the wrasses. To clump "reef fish" into a group that can all produce and recognize these cues is nonsense.

As for changing sex: this is driven by social cues which trigger an endocrine cascade in (usually) the biggest female turning her into him.

While the bluehead wrasse has long been used as a test species in sex allocation theory, there is no published evidence that sex change in this species is socially controlled. Here we show that removal of large terminal color phase (TP) males from local populations leads to sex and color change in the largest initial color phase (IP) females. In contrast, no sex changes occurred in control populations in which the TP males were handled but replaced, and in which only the IP males were removed. The response to removals was quite precise, resulting in a nearly one-to-one replacement of TP males. Large individuals that had been seen spawning as female males on the day prior to the manipulation, initiated male behaviors within minutes of the removal of the TP males and spawned in the male role the same day. Color changes were noted within a day and were distinct within four days. Sex change was verified by histological examination of the gonads of the changing individuals. All had functional testes, and all showed evidence of recent transition from the ovarian condition. Mature sperm can be produced in as little as eight days after the initiation of sex change.

Last edited by kelppaddie; 02-21-2018 at 03:20 PM.
kelppaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:16 PM   #7
AJP
Reluctant User

I know this guy who secretly slays slug sheephead all day long. Here, check out his website...

www.lompoclocal.com

AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:43 AM   #8
nilsonov

maybe there was some current going away from the 2nd sheep toward the 1st sheep you shot. with even a slight current, the 2nd sheep/shark will have no idea that there's chemicals/blood in the water 3' away.

I've also heard that about lobsters. any truth?
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #9
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
I know this guy who secretly slays slug sheephead all day long. Here, check out his website...

www.lompoclocal.com

Please do not use the term "slug" when referring to Sheephead. It really cheapens the term and is really not an appropriate descriptor.

Please use "goat" or "toad" or similar and reserve the term "slug" for species which are worthy of such a title.

Thank you.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #10
Olibaba

@Lompoc - Sorry to be a newb, but can you explain what is wrong with taking sheepshead? Sounds like they may play a role in the kelp regeneration from one of your comments above. thanks - 0
Olibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:46 AM   #11
rysgates
The Modern Age Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olibaba View Post
@Lompoc - Sorry to be a newb, but can you explain what is wrong with taking sheepshead? Sounds like they may play a role in the kelp regeneration from one of your comments above. thanks - 0
Goats are a keystone predator because they are the most prominent consumer of sea urchins, which eat kelp, and kelp is important to the survival of most other fish in our area. They're also pretty fragile and susceptible to getting wiped out quickly because of the imbalance between males and females.

As far as lompoc goes, heres a link to help you with your reading comprehension skills, because it appears that you missed an important part of my first post.
http://www.k12reader.com/subject/rea...comprehension/
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
=___________________________________________
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllll````````/
///////\ |
//////----
/////
rysgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:01 PM   #12
Olibaba

@rysgates - Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the connection between sheepshead, urchins, and kelp. Interesting.

So if you were to sustainably take sheepshead, are you better off taking large females, or small males.. or large males? Or just not taking any sheepshead at all.
Olibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:04 PM   #13
Xylophone

I only take males since the females can go male if there aren't enough males in the population. I only ever take 1 though since they're so easy and have tons of meat on them, unless I have a party or something coming up and I need to make a batch of ceviche.
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #14
HEX
Hector F.

I don't know about anyone else but I love me some Sheep head ceviche and tacos. I only ever take 1 decent sized male or sometimes just 1 smaller female if I don't want to much meat. They do serve their purpose in the ecosystem and do their part in controlling the sea urchin population which is a good thing for the kelp. Just don't go out getting your 5 every dive trip and it should be fine.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:33 PM   #15
Xylophone

They're good in a Thai green curry too.
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote