Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
jadairiii

Errol Kalayci GUE Fundamentals Instructor

Congratulations to Errol Kalayci, GUE's most recently certified Fundamentals Instructor.

http://www.globalunderwaterexplorers...esume&id=10169

http://www.tdsdivers.com/

Way to go!
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
waterpirate

Re: Errol Kalayci GUE Fundamentals Instructor

Is GUE going to offer a spearing fundamentals class? Congrats to the man, but this sub forum is lacking good content and this is hardly helping.
Eric
waterpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
jadairiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterpirate View Post
Is GUE going to offer a spearing fundamentals class? Congrats to the man, but this sub forum is lacking good content and this is hardly helping.
Eric
Improved swimming trim, weighting and streamlined gear configuration is a benefit for any type of diving, more so with scuba spear fishing.

That being said, Errol was deep spear fishing long before this forum was started or even contemplated.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

Congrats!

He has my name!!!

Errol
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
waterpirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadairiii View Post
Improved swimming trim, weighting and streamlined gear configuration is a benefit for any type of diving, more so with scuba spear fishing.

That being said, Errol was deep spear fishing long before this forum was started or even contemplated.
I have no doubt the man has mad skills, but the question remains. Nothing about fundies supports spearfishing. Mad skills support spearing deep but where does the philosophy of gue fit??

They are quick to tell you it is a system and it is rigid. If you sample one part without the rest you are a stroke.

Is it your contention that to spear deep you should take fundies?

I am just a little confused why you posted his accomplishments in the tech spearing section, not the training section.

Eric
Old 04-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
a3P

Sorry it's a bit off topic but did you see this article?

http://www.globalunderwaterexplorers...hop-gue-divers
a3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
waterpirate

That is a nice link.
However there was no mention of a gun. I contend that diving and trainin should and would allways be a good idea, but that is not my issue.

Imagine the FBI teaching a tactics, logistics, and aggressive pursuit driveing course to a bunch of would be bank robbers. The instructors have madd skills, yet there would be a issue with its application at which time it would all fall apart.
Eric
Old 04-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
jadairiii

Quote:
Is it your contention that to spear deep you should take fundies?

Eric
Yes

I put this here because fundies is for tech (or rec). Don’t forget that SCUBA is merely the “vehicle” that gets us underwater to accomplish what us divers want to accomplish, be it spear fishing, photography, lobstering or just looking at wrecks or reefs.

There is nothing in the fundies curriculum that teaches how to catch lobster, proper camera exposure, or spear fishing. What it will teach the diver is (as I said before) proper gas selection, gas management, proper working PpO2’s, trim, good buddy dynamics, gear selection and streamlining of your gear to name a few items. This is all based on GUE “principles”. And make no mistake that these principles are very conservative and the core principle being buddy diving and getting back to the boat with your buddy safely. Your buddy is your redundancy, not just gas/gear, but the most important back-up, a brain. Someone that can think for both of you if for some reason your brain “malfunctions”.

If you think diving air to 160’ solo on a single tank with 15 d-rings with all kinds of “stuff” dangling from every one of them and a pony bottle strapped to your tank is the “safe” way to conduct a dive, then you will have a tough time buying into a GUE fundies course. Then again, being fit, eating properly, proper hydration, running, masters swimming, open water swimming, etc. does not “support spear fishing” but I doubt you could argue it would not make your spear fishing a whole lot more safe and efficient.

That is what a Fundies course will teach any aspiring tech/rec spear fisherman, safety and efficiency. Never stop learning and remember, complacency kills.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadairiii View Post
Yes

I put this here because fundies is for tech (or rec). Don’t forget that SCUBA is merely the “vehicle” that gets us underwater to accomplish what us divers want to accomplish, be it spear fishing, photography, lobstering or just looking at wrecks or reefs.

There is nothing in the fundies curriculum that teaches how to catch lobster, proper camera exposure, or spear fishing. What it will teach the diver is (as I said before) proper gas selection, gas management, proper working PpO2’s, trim, good buddy dynamics, gear selection and streamlining of your gear to name a few items. This is all based on GUE “principles”. And make no mistake that these principles are very conservative and the core principle being buddy diving and getting back to the boat with your buddy safely. Your buddy is your redundancy, not just gas/gear, but the most important back-up, a brain. Someone that can think for both of you if for some reason your brain “malfunctions”.

If you think diving air to 160’ solo on a single tank with 15 d-rings with all kinds of “stuff” dangling from every one of them and a pony bottle strapped to your tank is the “safe” way to conduct a dive, then you will have a tough time buying into a GUE fundies course. Then again, being fit, eating properly, proper hydration, running, masters swimming, open water swimming, etc. does not “support spear fishing” but I doubt you could argue it would not make your spear fishing a whole lot more safe and efficient.

That is what a Fundies course will teach any aspiring tech/rec spear fisherman, safety and efficiency. Never stop learning and remember, complacency kills.

The GUE approach is to rely upon a buddy to provide redundancy. It is my understanding that this is probably the most fundamental principle of that type of diving.

It is hard for me to believe that the typical pair of scuba spearfisherman can be relied upon to maintain the necessary physical proximity to each other in order to yield the purported benefits of this system.

It seems that personal redundancy, rather than a team member is a resaonable approach, considering that few buddies are going to pass up on a shot on a "fish of a life time", just because you are "fighting" a 3 lb hogfish you speared first.

Are there any spearfisherman on SB who rigorous apply the GUE priniciples while spearfishing?

I've read a bunch of stuff about GUE and I really like a lot of the gear recommendations and configurations etc. that they promote, but without application of the "one shooter rule", I don't see how the dive team is really making full use of the system?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
jadairiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
....It seems that personal redundancy, rather than a team member is a resaonable approach, ......
As I stated, the most critical, redundant "item" your buddy carries is a brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
...considering that few buddies are going to pass up on a shot on a "fish of a life time", just because you are "fighting" a 3 lb hogfish you speared first...
One needs only to go back and search the "condolences" threads to gauge the value of leaving your buddy for that "fish of a life time" or diving solo. I have left those fish to stick near to a buddy, it is not that hard of a choice and one I have never regretted.

Ask yourself, how many more of our “friends” would we still be sharing our fish stories with had they been diving with a buddy, diving a lower PpO2, diving more conservative gas management rules, diving trimix? How many?

Would anyone choose a fish over a buddy back at the dock?
Old 04-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
waterpirate

I am not sure if you think that I am that person you are refranceing, or it was just a broad swatch of your holy crusade sword???

I am not going to get into a religous argument with you, but I continue to state that nothing GUE will ever mesh with spearing, especially deep spearing.

You point out the buddy team concept as your first gospel. For the most part spearing in general is "same day same ocean", when you add deep and mixed gas the best you can hope for is support midwater at best, surface worst.

This is a choice for me, and I assume it is a choice for others. Just as GUE is a choice for you. Anything beyond that statement smacks of preaching from the mount and heresy.

I am O.K. agreeing to not aggree on this on a personal level with you, BUT I am calling a big fat foul when you bring GUE into the tech spearfishing forum and expect to get an audience or kid gloves.

Now for the snarky bit,
If you think everybody who spears deep is as big a stroke as you described or looks like that guy whose picture got up on the net some time ago, you really need to get out more.
Eric
Old 04-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #12
jadairiii

Quote:
I am not sure if you think that I am that person you are refranceing, Eric
You think I started this whole thread because of you?

Quote:
...For the most part spearing in general is "same day same ocean", when you add deep and mixed gas the best you can hope for is support midwater at best, surface worst.Eric

That is one option, although free divers seem to have grasped the concept of buddy teams to avoid SWB. Just maybe (and I am going out on a limb here) buddy teams could make deep spearing safer?

Quote:
..BUT I am calling a big fat foul when you bring GUE into the tech spearfishing forum and expect to get an audience or kid gloves.Eric

What?

Quote:
If you think everybody who spears deep is as big a stroke as you described or looks like that guy whose picture got up on the net some time ago, you really need to get out more.
Eric
You have been the only one that has used the word "stroke".

I do think anyone that dives deep, adds any type of exertion and task loading could benefit from limiting their PpO2 exposure, lowing their EAD, and having a competent buddy as back up. I fail to see why this causes so much distress and gnashing of teeth?

Whatever, dive safe.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:11 AM   #13
waterpirate

Alas,
The sanctum has been breached, and we are no longer alone.
Eric