Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Old 04-15-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

??? Rebreather Training ???

Last night a friend of mine brought a rather unexpected surprise to my 50th Birthday Party - a pair of Russian IDA71 rebreather sets! He inherited them from a college buddy of his that passed away.

He nor I have any idea about how to use them or if they are serviceable. Looking at photos of them surfing the net, it looks like they are complete with full face mask, the green painted housing, canisters, and small external pressurized bottles that read in Kgf/cm2 (they are both pressurized with gas).

Anyway, neither of us wants to hurt ourselves with these things, but I'm wondering if anyone on the board either trains/certifies people for rebreathers or knows someone they'd recommend. I am in Central Florida.

Thanks, Gary H

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
KEYSKILLER
Your Daddy

Re: ??? Rebreather Training ???

I Know This Is A Late Response To This Thread But I Just Found It
Key West Tec Divers (kwtd) Certifies Rebreathers
Old 08-22-2006, 08:41 PM   #3
aue-mike

Re: ??? Rebreather Training ???

The IDA 71 is a different beast compared to modern rebreathers. It was built as an oxygen rebreather, similar in principle to the LAR V. Some divers refit these to make a more useful ccr, but it takes some knowledge to make the mods.

If you are serious about doing something with these, contact Dave Sutton up in RI. He has a significant amount of knowledge on these Russian rebreathers.

dsutton@redstaraviation.org
or
pilots@nac.net

He can also train you to fly MIG fighters!
Cheers,
Mike
aue-mike is offline   Reply With Quote