Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-04-2019, 04:52 PM   #1
popgun pete

Travel tube gun idea for split spears

Usually travel spearguns have two piece spears that are of equal length, i.e. the shaft join is the center of the assembled spear, but that does not have to be the case. If the shaft can be made in unequal lengths then the bending at the join should be reduced. The shaft main body is sized to fit inside the barrel tube and the balance of shaft length, i.e. the tail, is taped to the main shaft for transport, all being packed inside the barrel tube. Rear handle and muzzle are removed and carried in your travel bag. If the spear tip unscrews then the spear can be resized to fit more shaft main body length in the barrel tube and hence the tail piece can be shortened.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Travel tube gun idea for split spears

Given the internal diameter of the barrel tube it should be possible to transport a couple of spears inside the tube, possibly three of them in the disassembled state. Spears being ammo you need at least two shafts on a trip, and ideally two guns. When you only have one gun and you lose it or the spear is bent you are going to have to source another weapon, not always an easy thing to do.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
popgun pete

Here is a version with a detachable spear tip.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
popgun pete

Watertight bulkheads can use "O" ring seals to be loop attached to the transverse screws and nuts that hold the gun end pieces on. This bulkhead method has been used in the past and the cord loops are used to pull the bulkheads out of the gun. Increasing pressure at depth cannot push the bulkheads in because they are restrained by the loops which are anchored on the screws.

Last edited by popgun pete; 10-04-2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-04-2019, 07:00 PM   #5
popgun pete

Note so that you don't scratch the barrel tube bore it would be best to cover the ends of the shaft with a turn or two of vinyl tape, otherwise the bulkhead "O" ring may not seal the tube when you put the gun back together. A warning sticker on the barrel tube may be in order stating that the tube is heavy, especially if it has 3 spears nestled inside it making it virtually an iron bar, so don't pitch it should be the message to baggage handlers.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #6
Alec

I wouldn't want to trust a multi-part shaft on a multi-thousand dollar cross seas trip. I've heard some horror stories with the Riffe travel gun shafts bending like a pretzel on small fish. I'll pass, it's not hard to travel with 65" threaded shafts.
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:15 PM   #7
popgun pete

If there was no market for travel guns then no one would be making them, but the evidence is to the contrary.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:57 PM   #8
Alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
If there was no market for travel guns then no one would be making them, but the evidence is to the contrary.
I’m sure you’ll sell thousands of these tubes
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:35 AM   #9
popgun pete

[quotentend makimjg=Alec;2191909]I’m sure you’ll sell thousands of these tubes[/quote]

I don't intend making any guns like this, the idea is simply up for discussion, plus I already have two travel guns and have not bent the spears yet, but then I don't use them very often. JBL made a two-piece spear as well as the one supplied with their “Travel Magnum”, it had a short tail of 316 stainless steel at 3/8” diameter and the front section was spring stainless steel at 5/16” diameter. Not sold as a travel gun spear, it still showed that a two-piece spear is a workable proposition and the step in diameter made for a line slide stop.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:31 AM   #10
Diver278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
I wouldn't want to trust a multi-part shaft on a multi-thousand dollar cross seas trip. I've heard some horror stories with the Riffe travel gun shafts bending like a pretzel on small fish. I'll pass, it's not hard to travel with 65" threaded shafts.
Depending on were your going for instance I travel to the Philippines every year and if I took a 65" shaft it would cost me $450.00 dollars for a oversize piece of luggage so for that price I could buy three to four break down shafts instead. I now travel with 59' shafts for my pathos roller gun and it cost me $150.00 cause it is at the 62" requirement but is an extra piece of luggage.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #11
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver278 View Post
Depending on were your going for instance I travel to the Philippines every year and if I took a 65" shaft it would cost me $450.00 dollars for a oversize piece of luggage so for that price I could buy three to four break down shafts instead. I now travel with 59' shafts for my pathos roller gun and it cost me $150.00 cause it is at the 62" requirement but is an extra piece of luggage.
that there’s some SAVAGE luggage charges! think of the tonnes of tourist scuba gear that goes into the Phillipines every month, but its all compact i guess
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:47 PM   #12
popgun pete

Alemanni make a Travel Gun with two-piece spears, so I would think that they know what they are doing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alemanni Vela 120 Special travel gun.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	244165  
Old 10-05-2019, 06:51 PM   #13
Diver278

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
that there’s some SAVAGE luggage charges! think of the tonnes of tourist scuba gear that goes into the Phillipines every month, but its all compact i guess
Yes it's robbery. Philippine Airlines only allow two 50lb pieces of luggage. I'm taking shafts next year so I'm going to see if I can take one luggage and one PVC tube and try to avoid the $150.00 charge for oversize luggage. Also they have a 62" max size limit anything over that is considered oversize.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 09:39 AM   #14
popgun pete

One way that a spear could be joined would be to have a central ferrule that both the spear ends screw into. This creates a larger diameter bump in the middle of the spear and would not be ideal, but is easy to make. Now sitting the shaft on the gun's guide track would be a problem unless you had another section the same size at the rear of the shaft. On the JBL Travel Magnum the rear half of the shaft is 3/8 inch diameter and the front half is 5/16 inch diameter. So basically we have the same idea, but cut some of the weight out of the rear shaft section. This variable diameter shaft would be no good with a line slide, but should be OK with a shaft tab line attachment. The spring stainless shaft sections all carry male threads. The rear bump does not need a screw thread, it could just be a pinned sleeve, in fact the shaft tab should secure it.

This topic has come up again as a new two piece gun is now on the market, based on the MVD speargun components which are made for other companies. TAG brand and may use Huntmaster as a supplier as the latter imported the machinery to make the MVD style guns in Australia.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TAG TWO PIECE BARREL disassembled.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	249577   Click image for larger version

Name:	TAG TWO PIECE BARREL.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	249578  
Old 10-07-2023, 05:21 PM   #15
popgun pete

Some guns don't lend themselves easily to transportation except by car or boat That is why a travel gun has its uses, but it needs to not be flimsy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PGP long guns R.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	249579   Click image for larger version

Name:	PGP Long guns 2R.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	249580