Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Off-Topic

California Off-Topic Remember that politics/religion and general off-topic belong in Special Forums.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:49 PM   #1
el tiegro

Right on red light ticket

What's up guys. Is there any point in trying to fight a red light ticket in LA? It's a $500 ticket that I've read is $380 worth of fees on a $120 violation. I feel like my rights are being violated by the bureaucracy here Anyways, just figured I'd ask if anyone had any recommendations before I suck it up and pay for a new parking meter or something else useful downtown.
el tiegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
sweatloaf

Re: Right on red light ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by el tiegro View Post
What's up guys. Is there any point in trying to fight a red light ticket in LA? It's a $500 ticket that I've read is $380 worth of fees on a $120 violation. I feel like my rights are being violated by the bureaucracy here Anyways, just figured I'd ask if anyone had any recommendations before I suck it up and pay for a new parking meter or something else useful downtown.
Well, no, it isn't worth it. You will not prevail.

I'll spare you my long story involving a publicized trap, multiple written lies on the ticket, refusal to weigh evidence and rational arguments, and perjury!
Old 07-10-2016, 01:25 AM   #3
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

It's total BS. Enjoy getting BF'd by the system.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:25 AM   #4
SEATUX

Your word against an officer ( that has no reason to lie, he is only doing his job )..
YOU WILL LOOSE!

UNLESS

You go in with a Lawyer...Then you will probably WIN.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:57 AM   #5
Castor

I just got one of these tickets. It was $300 and $20 for traffic school.

Its a bummer but I did it so now I get to pay for it.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
OXN939
Reagan Bush '84

Dude count me out from ever living in California. I'm in Europe right now, and this thread sounds just like how it is here- citizens routinely being targeted by the government as sources of revenue for ridiculous "infractions", often at the expense of their civil rights. Yikes. Orwell.
OXN939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:58 PM   #7
carrasco

Quote:
Do you mean a red light "camera" ticket or a ticket given by an officer?
I sent you a PM on what to do with a Camera ticket.
But if an officer gave it to you, plead not guilty and see if the cop shows up. I went to face off with LEO and I shit you not, 90% did not show up! Long Beach Superior Court 25 of 27 cases were dismissed. Don't listen to stupid advice- the judge will give you the opportunity to change the plee before taking the stand and after seeing if your officer shows anyway.
PS- I was advised to take a tube of vaseline, mix a fistful of sand on it and go get it in the ain by a cop and judge- I did no such thing and neither should you!

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!

Last edited by carrasco; 07-13-2016 at 08:11 PM.
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:48 PM   #8
el tiegro

Thanks Carrasco, it was a highway patrol officer. If the officer does show up, I'll wind up with a ton of court fees also right? I'm torn between taking that risk, and just signing up for traffic school. Back in Florida, you could do the traffic school online, I guess I'll have to see what the options are.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:34 AM   #9
carrasco

Quote:
Thanks Carrasco, it was a highway patrol officer. If the officer does show up, I'll wind up with a ton of court fees also right? I'm torn between taking that risk, and just signing up for traffic school. Back in Florida, you could do the traffic school online, I guess I'll have to see what the options are.
No,
There are no court fees. Try sitting in court one day and see for yourself. They simply don't show up. If they do, you can change the plee to guilty and you have lost nothing but paying the fine you would have paid anyway.

Can anyone else chime in that has done this?

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #10
FreediveCA

Carrasco is correct. You are not penalized for defending yourself. So long as you qualify, and assuming you are found guilty after going to court, you will still have the option for traffic school as well. There is a court fee for that, but it is minimal. Plus the fee for the traffic school which you can find for about $5 online. I just took traffic school online for $5 which I found through the DMV. Finished the quizzes in about a half hour on my lunch break and was done.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #11
jimglover1

I always do the traffic school thing because I just want to be done with it. But I've learned from some wiser older folks that ALWAYS fighting it is the way to go-because LEO so often does not show. As far as LEO goes, I have been let off as many times as I've been ticketed and realize that dealing with a-holes all day every day for a living means a challenging career. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with it.
jimglover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:18 AM   #12
el tiegro

thanks for the advice everybody, I'll give it a shot, and let you all know how it goes.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #13
llamar

I got a speeding ticket in Santa Barbara back in like 2007. I came across a website called Ticket Assassin that had instructions for contesting it. As I recall, the advice was to contest it in writing rather that in person because LEO gets overtime pay for showing up at court, but doesn't for providing a written response. Dunno if that might have changed since then.

Anyway, I wrote up some BS excuse about how despite my going 70 in a 55 or whatever it was, it did not in fact violate California's Basic Speed Law, which states that yadda yadda yadda.

The info on Ticket Assassin that I used was free at the time, though I think I sent him a token amount of $ after my ticket was successfully dismissed. Try googling it and see if it has anything useful.
llamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #14
Jakeup

Any resolution to this?
Jakeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #15
el tiegro

I set a court date for October 5th at the LA municipal court. I'm hoping because it's highway patrol that he'll be busy out on the roads. Like you said Carrasco, worst case I guess I pay the fine and do traffic school anyway. It's not too far from work, and worth $560 if I can get it waived.
I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the advice.