Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
calla969

DIY inflatable float

I just finished my first prototype inflatable float. I based the dimensions on the Riffe float, so it should have about the same lift. (around 80lbs) I used fluorescent orange, 1000 denier nylon, for high visibility and durability. It has a 2" SS D-ring in the front for floatline attachment and 2 1.5" delrin D-rings on each side for handle/accessory attachment. The prototype does not have the handles or flag/dive weight holder attached yet. The handles will be made the same way a DIY floatline is made. They will be 3 lengths of 5/8" black vinyl tubing with a poly core and snap swivels at each end. One will connect the D-rings at each side and the third will connect the rear one on each side going around the back giving you a handle on each side and one at the rear. The flag holder will be installed on a sleeve that will wrap around the middle of the float. I will make a pocket at the bottom for a dive weight and a hole in the top to accommodate a Riffe flag holder between the float and the sleeve. There is also a 12" zipper on one side to access the bladder. This sleeve will also reinforce the zipper. The bladder is the easiest part. I bought some 4mil plastic drop cloth form Home Depot, a replacement inflatable kayak valve from NRS, and a 1/2" x 48" wooden dowel. I cut a hole in the plastic sheet to fit the valve and folded it in half to eliminate one seam. Then, I placed the dowel under the two layers of plastic and placed a sheet of paper on top. Then I took an iron on medium heat and welded the seam using the paper to keep from burning the plastic. The bladder took a total of about 10 minutes to make. I built the bladder much larger than the nylon shell to allow tight inflation without popping the bladder. I use a foot pump to fill the float to about 10 or 15 PSI. It seems to be holding perfectly and is rock hard and very light when inflated. The whole thing cost me about $60 and I should have enough material left over to make another one.

This is the first time I've used a sewing machine since 7th grade home ec, so go easy on my sewing abilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0002.JPG
Views:	2572
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	71512   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.JPG
Views:	2056
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	71513   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0004.JPG
Views:	1786
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	71514  

Last edited by calla969; 03-18-2008 at 06:50 PM.
calla969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
jfjf

Re: DIY inflatable float

That is pretty damn cool!
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
seahunter49

I was looking forward to this since you mentioned you were going to make one a couple of weeks ago. This is one of few pieces of gear I never thought can be DIY. Very nice work. I want to make one too.
seahunter49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
jfjf

Hell I'm ready for a custom BC or wings!
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
ROBERTO REYES
MAN OVERBOARD

Wow, Very Nice.
ROBERTO REYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
dr.ed

GOOD Job!! Esp your inovations: Drings for attachment of handles!
dr.ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:21 AM   #7
calla969

Thanks guys. I will be making another one soon using some ideas I have come up with for improvement and what I learned from the first one. It was actually pretty easy to make and probably only took about 2 hours after I figured out how to use the damn sewing machine. Someone with better sewing skills could definitely make a BC but that would be challenging. When I make the next one, I'll take pics along the way to make an instructional. I will also post the dimensions for the pattern.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:29 AM   #8
carsonwild

Great job there man i Have been working on making a inflatable float but things are not working out so great.
Yours would work great for i want to do.Keep up the good work and keep us posted on how things are coming along.
Carson
carsonwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
spearguam

Calla,
Very cool. It looks great.

can you provide more info on the bladder or a pic. I was wondering how you welded the valve to the rubber. Also what shape is the bladder. Any more info you can provide would be very helpful.

Great job. Its always rewarding using equipment you build yourself.

Tim
Old 03-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #10
settingsteel
1Breath,1Shot,1Kill

that float is sweeeet very nice quality for 1 home ec class in HS:...but tell us you took that class 'cause their was a hotty you had your eye on right?
settingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #11
calla969

Tim, I will post a pic of the bladder, but it is very simple. I use an iron on a med. setting to weld the seams. I laid a dowel on the table with the two layers of plastic on top. This gives the iron a narrow surface to ride on to allow a straight, neat seam. Then you shield the plastic from the iron with a piece of computer paper to prevent overheating and melting. I go back and forth a couple times with the iron until the paper feels slightly glued to the plastic. Then remove it slowly after allowing the plastic to cool for a couple seconds. The valve is a two piece valve that screws together with one half inside the bladder. I installed that in place before welding anything. No welding or adhesive is needed. This is the valve I used. http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...92&deptid=1030
I chose this one because I liked the low profile of the top and the cheap price. I was very impressed with the quality. For simplicity and because of some things I learned from this build that are too lengthy to go into, I will use this one on the next float. http://www.airtimekite.com/valve_page_1.html It's the one at the bottom. I also thought about adding one of the oral inflation valves, but I don't want a "beachball" valve on my float.

Settingsteel, There were many hotties and an easy grade, not to mention a lot of food.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
seahunter49

An oral inflation valve is a must IMO. A pump is just another piece of gear to lug around. If you ever source a valve like the one Riffe uses in their floats it will be a great find, I searched hard for it but was unable to find.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #13
calla969

The oral inflation valves that Riffe uses are Hawkey-Roberts valves. I can't find a retailer that sells them, but they will send samples for free if you can convince them that you will be producing something commercially. They have a minimum order of $500. That's a lot of valves. I haven't yet tried to see if Riffe or Aimrite would sell one as a replacement part, but I bet they buy them already installed in bladders. I agree that the oral inflation valve is necessary, but you could never put as much pressure as I like it to have by mouth. Not to mention, it holds a lot of air.

Here are some pics of the bladder with the float laying on top. I made the bladder close to the shape of the float, but it doesn't matter, and oversized to allow the bladder to be completely filled without any stress on the thin plastic and also to allow enough room for repairs if/when the need arises.
If anyone has any tips, ideas, criticism, or other information, like a source for inflation valves, please speak up. I want to start on the next one soon. I may sell this one at my cost (probably around $30) to a SB member to have someone test it for me and provide feedback if anyone would be interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.JPG
Views:	1479
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	71548  
Old 03-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #14
seahunter49

Riffe sells the valve for $25, I had to replace one.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
calla969

WOW $25. My valve cost $6. The one way "beachball" valve is $15.
How does the Riffe valve install?