Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #46
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Re: Missing fishermen

FROM THE ARTICLE BELOW:

"Though the odds could be against the survival of two Florida teenagers lost at sea, experts say it's still possible.

Laurence Gonzales, the author of "Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why," says the very vague rule of thumb is humans can stay alive three minutes without air, three days without water and three weeks without food, but examples of defying that abound.

Gonzales said the longest someone has been known to survive in the open ocean without water was about five days, but because it's not known whether the boys had any supplies, are wearing life jackets or might be clinging to or floating on something, they could still be alive.

The Latest on Lost boys: Search crews enter 5th night

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2015/Th...ec8074f38ff14e
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #47
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Really sad, all around. I pray that this ends well. Quite gut wrenching to say the least.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #48
Joe in Jupiter

Supposed to be 2 people in water around south Carolina going on right now. Hope it's them!
Old 07-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #49
underdogII

Another blog has scanner traffic going crazy in Jax.
We need a miracle.
underdogII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:20 PM   #50
gcracker89

A prayer for the boys and one for the families
Old 07-29-2015, 03:20 AM   #51
VangysWay

Absolutely sickening. Praying every day for these boys and their families.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #52
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

I called WPBF newsroom this morning and asked them to correct the part of their stories that say these boys were heading to the Bahamas like this in today's story linked below.

"The pair was reported missing from Jupiter Friday afternoon. They were last seen buying $110 worth of gas for their 19-foot boat and were believed to be heading toward the Bahamas."

I said the boys apparently did not have a GPS or radio and $110 worth of gas is not really many gallons. I said there may have been an early report on that Bahamas trip possibility, but as we know from Dylan who spoke with Austin Thursday night, that possibility is not the most likely scenario. When the news media keeps bringing it up the rest of society runs with it.

Search for missing teen boaters entering day 6

http://m.wpbf.com/news/coast-guard-a...swick/34396316
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #53
Frank P

are they or have they brought the boat in yet?might be some clues?
Frank P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #54
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
are they or have they brought the boat in yet?might be some clues?
I would hope they would leave it to determine exact drift speed and direction. If the boys are floating they would move the same direction.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:21 PM   #55
phil herranen

I just saw something that said they found them both alive,if it's the same two kids
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7706851/ns...r-days-adrift/

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #56
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
When the news media keeps bringing it up the rest of society runs with it.
Its sickening what even the locals are saying .....I was getting my hair cut the other day and had to explain some reality to a few people they other day....in the end they said

"yeah i know a dozen young kids that own boats, most of them are on their 2nd or 3rd one, but the TV said this and that , and....blah blah blah"

all we can do is hope. Not condemn anyone...there is no one to blame here...I bet these young men have endured some incredible hardships over the days. last thing they need is any shit from the sheeple that dont know any better when they come home. Breaks my heart...

Last edited by kwtony; 07-29-2015 at 02:42 PM.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #57
acteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
I just saw something that said they found them both alive
Link?
acteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #58
Muay Thai
FL State & Nat Champ

Wrong teens. Here's the latest on the Jupiter boys.

The Latest: Coast Guard: Search for missing boaters ongoing
July 29, 2015 13:17 EDT

TEQUESTA, Fla. (AP) -- The latest on the search for the two Florida teens who went missing while on a fishing trip off Florida's Atlantic coast:

1:05 p.m.

Coast Guard and state officials have left the Florida home of one of two missing teenage boaters, with a spokesman saying the search for them is still "active and open."

Capt. Mark Fedor of the Coast Guard said Wednesday: "There's been a lot of rumors that the search has been suspended. I just want to refute that. The search has not been suspended."

The Coast Guard and Florida Fish and Wildlife officers were at the home of 14-year-old Perry Cohen for almost an hour Wednesday afternoon.

As they left, Fedor offered no further comment and didn't take questions.

It was unclear whether the family would make a statement.

Also missing is 14-year-old Austin Stephanos. Wednesday marked the sixth day of the search as crews expanded the search area north into South Carolina.

Their capsized boat was found Sunday.

11:45 a.m.

A Coast Guard spokesman says the search for two teen boaters who went missing off the coast of Florida is ongoing.

Chief Petty Officer Ryan Doss, the spokesman for the Florida Coast Guard district, said Wednesday: "There is no plan to suspend the search today."

Earlier, a U.S. official said the Coast Guard was suspending the search. But Doss says any reports of the search ending are inaccurate.

Doss says aircraft and boats are searching. Crews have been searching for 14-year-olds Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos for six days.

At noon Wednesday, three vehicles pulled into the driveway of Cohen's home, and representatives from the U.S. Coast Guard, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, and Tequesta Police got out and met with the family.

The teen's capsized boat was found Sunday, and the Coast Guard says it's searching the waters from Daytona Beach, Florida, north to South Carolina.

The boys are described as consummate seamen who grew up on the water and spent much of their free time boating and fishing.

-- Associated Press writer Alicia A. Caldwell contributed from Washington.

7:40 a.m.

The search continued Wednesday for two Florida teens who have been missing in the Atlantic Ocean since leaving Friday afternoon on a fishing trip.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Anthony Soto says the search area for Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos, both 14, now stretches from Florida's east coast to Charleston, South Carolina.

As dawn broke Wednesday, Soto says a C-130 aircraft planned a "first-light" search near Tybee Island, Georgia, where callers reported seeing something floating in the water Tuesday evening. Crews combed the area Tuesday night, but didn't find anything connected to the search for the missing boys.

Soto says the agency issued an Urgent Marine Information to notify boaters in the area to contact the Coast Guard if they spot anything.

He says the agency will likely reevaluate the search mission, which is entering its sixth day, sometime Wednesday.

Last edited by Muay Thai; 07-29-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Muay Thai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #59
pernicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
I just saw something that said they found them both alive,if it's the same two kids
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7706851/ns...r-days-adrift/
Phil, that link was posted for a story from 2005.

---Dive Safe---
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #60
zackistre

Anytime offshore fishing diving or boating you need to have a plb or epirb in a ditch bag ready to go. I consider them a must have not a maybe. I have a little one and a wife to come home to. You never know what that angry sea can do. This is a horrible situation that could have been avoided with one of these. Hope they find the boys and they make it home safe.
zackistre is offline   Reply With Quote