Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-04-2016, 08:46 PM   #1
Scuba Fever

My Hero Passed Away Today ....

During my over Forty Years Diving in the Santa Monica Bay, I have had the Fortune to be able to meet and become acqainted with a Number of Really Great Divers and even Greater People. People like Bill and Bob Meistrell, to name two.

The man im referring to now I met 30 years ago. He also got his Tanks filled at Dive n Surf in Redondo and had his boat Berthed in King Harbor. Im not mentioning his name because I was the first to be contacted by his Daughter, and im not sure as to how and when they want to share the sad news

He was 79 years old and in excellent shape, with no medical issues. I was amazed to find out how old he really was. He literally dove every available weekend if conditions allowed, sometimes diving on both weekend days. He was in the water around 7am and back at the dock before I had even gotten down to my boat. He would text me often about dive conditions, sometimes before I even got up.

Yesterday, he decided to make a dive in the morning. His daughter could always see his boat from her house when he dove. He would text her when he went into the water, and text her again when he was heading back to the dock. Yesterday he texted her when he went in, but failed to text her when he was heading back to the dock. She could see his boat still anchored out in front of Torrance beach. She called the Coast Guard.

The Harbor patrol went out to check things and found him floating face down next to his boat. Fins and mask AND BAG of BUGS, had been placed inside his boat already. His regulator somehow kept him snagged to his boat. Cause of death is unknown at this time, but his father passed away from a Fatal heart attack.

Its Sad to see him gone at any age, but he didnt spend a single day in a nursing home, he was rarely sick, and died doing the thing HE LOVED TO DO. Thats how many of us hope to go. He was always gracious to everyone especially new divers. Up until recently, He and I were the only Divers who had been in every LOBSTER MOBSTER event at Dive N Surf. He had his own special Lobster and Halibut Dive spots, and Believed strongly about NOT DIVING on other divers Special spots. And he was REALLY GOOD at catching Bugs, and spearing BIG FLATTIES. And he always told the truth, even when he got SKUNKED!

I'll update this as Im allowed to do with his families permission. There will be a paddle out after he is creamated.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:26 PM   #2
SCOTB

Re: My Hero Passed Away Today ....

Sorry bro. Yes that is a hero.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:34 PM   #3
HEX
Hector F.

Sorry to hear about your loss. RIP
Old 03-04-2016, 11:42 PM   #4
piztolero

My prayers go out to you friend and family, God bless him.
piztolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:49 AM   #5
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Lightbulb Re: My Hero Passed Away Today ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba Fever View Post

Yesterday, he decided to make a dive in the morning. His daughter could always see his boat from her house when he dove. He would text her when he went into the water, and text her again when he was heading back to the dock. Yesterday he texted her when he went in, but failed to text her when he was heading back to the dock. She could see his boat still anchored out in front of Torrance beach. She called the Coast Guard.

The Harbor patrol went out to check things and found him floating face down next to his boat. Fins and mask AND BAG of BUGS, had been placed inside his boat already. His regulator somehow kept him snagged to his boat. Cause of death is unknown at this time, but his father passed away from a Fatal heart attack.

Its Sad to see him gone at any age, but he didnt spend a single day in a nursing home, he was rarely sick, and died doing the thing HE LOVED TO DO. Thats how many of us hope to go.
Scuba Fever, this part above of your touching tribute is particularly powerful to me personally. Your friend's way of passing and his connection to his family says it all. Every single one of us will make that passage some day and his way was a blessing. That is why I have this quote in my signature:

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996

I pray your diving friend will rest in eternal peace. My condolences to all his friends and family.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:42 AM   #6
sealark

Sorry for your loss of a friend I'm 72 and hope I go that way also.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Sorry to hear about this. Sounds like he fell out after safely entering the boat, or collapsing while trying to climb aboard.

RIP diver...
Old 03-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #8
campione

He lived a blessed life.
RIP.
campione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
Vyadha

So sorry. This is the first death I've heard of this season. So sad.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
Scuba Fever

Sadly, this is the SECOND diver death off Redondo this week! 45 year old male
Old 03-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #11
Vyadha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba Fever View Post
Sadly, this is the SECOND diver death off Redondo this week! 45 year old male
Whoa, that's really sad. Both divers in my thoughts.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #12
North Star
Max

Glad you were able to know this fine gentleman. You are the richer for it. As you mourn the loss, remember the treasure. He was a gift from God to you. There is much to be thankful for.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:39 AM   #13
Michael J

So very sorry to hear about this.

God's speed diver.

I'll pray for peace for his family.

MJ.
Michael J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:24 AM   #14
fishmustdie
Power's on!

RIP, I honestly hope I get to go on the water doing what I love. I celebrate this mans life doing what he loved and living life to the fullest!

Dr. Craig Petersen D.C.
fishmustdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #15
NaClAddict

I was just telling a friend who used to work at Dive n' Surf about this fine gentleman's passing. My friend said that on days when everyone in the shop was at each other's throats that this guy would show up for a fill. When he left everyone had a smile on their face and was happy. He just had that effect on people.

I was lucky enough to know him. Another member here had his boat on the same dock. We always exchanged info about what was going on in the ocean. You could tell he had a genuine love of the sea. There was never a hint of ego. Just a willingness to share info and help out his fellow divers.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote