Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.11 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #16
Bulit7

Re: High PO2 Hits - Tell us your story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_Jeffy View Post
"Tyler, thanks for your thoughtfull post. Yes I'm Nitrox certified.
I am just attempting to bring into discussion the subjects that interest me. I am in no way trying to self teach myself how to deep dive thru these forums. If I wanted to self teach, I would go out and buy the course materials and read and apply them to diving."

But on 15 August:

"Yep. I have no cards. I am open water only. I self taught myself Nitrox thru books and diving with people who wanted me to use Nitrox so we could dive together. I am very cautious and calm in the water. I am very comfortable as well."

You are dangerous. We will read about you soon, and foot the huge bill for the Coast Guard having to search for your corpse.
I mispoke. Initially I was taught by an instructor friend of mine and dove for a long time without it and recently got the cert so I could get fills in places where people don't know me. What I meant is that I never took any courses beyond OW.

Besides, Nitrox course is something that can be learned thru reading and formulas. PO2, MOD, Contingency Depth, EAD, EAN Tables. Nothing complicated there. Just need to understand the risks and advantages and manage them. Way different then creating a dive plan for a 150-200 foot dive. What mix? How long? What PO2, what MOD, etc. They even offer these courses online and some agencies do not have nitrox certification dives, just class work.
It's pretty straight forward.

Last edited by Bulit7; 08-22-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #17
Daddy_Jeffy
Aloha, hard!!

You got the cert in the last week?? Your post was pretty clear not "mispoken".

It is always the guy without a formal cert who says the class is unecessary.

"A buddy of mine by the name of David, dropped down and ended up taking a tank witha wrong mix."

Had your "buddy" taken a course, he would have checked his owned mix and written it on the side of the tank, one way to "manage" the risk...
Daddy_Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #18
jfjf

Quote:
Had your "buddy" taken a course, he would have checked his owned mix and written it on the side of the tank, one way to "manage" the risk...
No amount of education or training is an antidote for stupidity
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #19
Bulit7

Quote:

"A buddy of mine by the name of David, dropped down and ended up taking a tank witha wrong mix."

I explained the post, I was taught by an instructor that no longer teaches proffessionally. He was taught by Jim Mimms(I think).We covered all the course materials at his home and I used his Padi literature(that I still have). I began diving Nitrox and using pony bottles based on his advice and instruction. Nitrox is pretty straight forward. It's not brain surgery as long as you are not pushing the limits.

As far as the O2 hit, I don't have the details, exactly. More imporatnt, to me, were the symptoms he had. Maybe the awarness generated thru reading what I wrote will save someone who encounters the same symptoms.

Not lookin for an inet argument. Getting tired of those. Too busy, not enough time. More important to me is to keep this thread on track regarding O2 hits and maybe we can generate more awarnes regarding this. Maybe you could join us with something positive here.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #20
Daddy_Jeffy
Aloha, hard!!

I'm positive you are a tool
Old 08-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #21
Bulit7

Quote:
I'm positive you are a tool
I'm positive you are an ass..
Old 08-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #22
Daddy_Jeffy
Aloha, hard!!

Touche
Old 08-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #23
Bulit7

Lol!
Old 08-22-2008, 10:06 PM   #24
GUNRUNNER

A couple of years back I took a minor O2 hit (i think) at around 155 ft on 29%. It felt like my lips and the area around were tingling or asleep. the feeling was kinda like the after affect of being stung in the face by a jellyfish. The feeling went away after rising up around 60ft or so and leveling off. The current was ripping and I had kicked hard all the way down to get to the jug line. I decided after that to get further training before i ended up on the RIP thread. Several more experienced divers said it was likely an O2 hit and I was lucky to be telling about it? If they were wrong I would like to hear other explanations.
GUNRUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #25
Bulit7

Thanks for sharing that gunrunner. Glad you are ok.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #26
TheBrazilNut

Quote:

Lee said he took an informal Nitrox Class. The only problem I have is the liability side of the Instructor. Are you referring to "the open water dives" that need to be completed along with the class to get a Nitrox card?

I have no idea why any student would have to complete two dives on Nitrox to complete the class! Can an Instructor from one of those Training Agencies give me me any type of answer as to why the two dives are necessary?
TheBrazilNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #27
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNRUNNER View Post
A couple of years back I took a minor O2 hit (i think) at around 155 ft on 29%. It felt like my lips and the area around were tingling or asleep. the feeling was kinda like the after affect of being stung in the face by a jellyfish. The feeling went away after rising up around 60ft or so and leveling off. The current was ripping and I had kicked hard all the way down to get to the jug line. I decided after that to get further training before i ended up on the RIP thread. Several more experienced divers said it was likely an O2 hit and I was lucky to be telling about it? If they were wrong I would like to hear other explanations.
Possibly oxygen, but I have been pretty narced, especially while working hard and ended up with numb lips and tongue (but it was somewhat deeper). Either way, if you don't feel right, you did the right thing and got on the inflator.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #28
Mullins

It was the same feeling (see my last post) that had me worried I was close to ox tox on deeper dives, but I found out from talking to tech divers over here that you can also get it with high nitrogen/CO2.
Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #29
Ydiveman
Bleed with me............

Send a message via AIM to Ydiveman

Another great thread Love it or hate it, information is being shared and discussed.

Since we are looking at medical related I have a question. Last dive of the day, usually after 3 or 4 dives, towards end of dives alot of times I get cramps in quads. I have been reading up on it, and I believe it is related to dehydration. Is this a solid assumption?? Usually during safety stops at end of dive.
Ydiveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #30
Mobile Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ydiveman View Post
Another great thread Love it or hate it, information is being shared and discussed.

Since we are looking at medical related I have a question. Last dive of the day, usually after 3 or 4 dives, towards end of dives alot of times I get cramps in quads. I have been reading up on it, and I believe it is related to dehydration. Is this a solid assumption?? Usually during safety stops at end of dive.
Probably dehydration or just lack of fitness. I would drink some Gatorade next dive trip & see if that doesn't help. If not, do some time in the gym.
305 849 0866
Mobile Diver is offline   Reply With Quote