Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Upper Gulfcoast

Upper Gulfcoast This is the area for spearfishermen in Panama City, Destin/Ft. Walton, Pensacola, Alabama, Miss., and Louisiana.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #16
IowaDiver

Re: middlegrounds video... Riffe vs Koah

You draw a quick conclusion without doing all your homework…
IowaDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #17
jstiver09

I use real world experience and yes I have owned a Riffe before that came stock with 3 bands. I took one off and it became much more accurate. Try it for yourself.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #18
onebaddago

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstiver09 View Post
Even though I never said shortening your bands will give you less power, I will go ahead and try to explain it to you...and to answer your question, yes it could have less power. Every gun is different and can handle a different amount of power until the recoil becomes great enough to negatively impact accuracy and shaft speed. Each gun has a sweet spot where adding more power via shorter bands, more bands, or thicker bands will not do a damn thing except make you miss more often. Riffes have less mass than most wood guns and therefore the way the OP had it rigged was overpowering the gun and shaft. If you have a pool and ability to do some target practice, you will understand better. With that being said, many stock guns come rigged with weak ass bands and shortening them a bit would probably help but only up to a certain length. There are many more variables to this equation and if you wish to become better educated on it do a search and read what other guys on this forum that are much smarter and experienced than me have to say about it. Hope that helped.

I am very well educated in what works for me and my gun. I have spent a bunch of time doing the homework. I thought you were brushing a much broader stroke than you actually were.
onebaddago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #19
PartyBoy
Aqua Aces

Nice vid! I shoot Riffe, JBL, and just got a blue water Koah for Tuna and wahoo. I've also used Wongs, Billers, and home made guns. Every gun and every set-up are different for different areas/species/situations. If you're going after reef fish in FL, you need a different set up than if you're shooting fish on the rigs in LA. You need to use what you like and are comfortable using.

My skin diving LA state record, my free diving world record, and my couple LA top ten skin fish were shot with an old JBL that had a hole in the barrel which allowed it to fill up with water, and I had a Riffe reel on it. People always told me that I needed a better gun, but I was comfortable using it, and that gun killed more lbs of fish than all my others combined.

At the end of the day, it's the Indian, not the arrow.

PartyBoy + booze = mayhem
PartyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #20
pernicia

shoot that Riffe in the pool and most likely you find that it shoots high.

Why 3 bands in such a close range shoot?

I have a Riffe C3X that I modified for freeshafting. Works fine and has killed many fishies.

---Dive Safe---
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #21
IowaDiver

IowaDiver is offline   Reply With Quote