Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Old 02-01-2006, 07:29 AM   #1
BoyntonBeachBum

Australia Spearfishing

I am thinking about selling everything i own and moving to Australia with my wife, who has family in Sydney. Are there any spearboard members that live in Australia? Anybody know of any clubs or websites that are Australia specific?

I don't know much about spearfishing in Australia, but something tells me that they have big mean sharks over there, so I want to learn a heck of a lot about it before putting a bunch of blood in the water......

Thanks......
BoyntonBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:44 AM   #2
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Re: Australia Spearfishing

Freedive only in most areas.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:52 AM   #3
blueh2oboy
Professional Snorkeller

Freedive only... EVERYWHERE.
In the Sydney area there are a few clubs and a lot of really good guys there. Look up Frogdive in that area on the net and also Spearfishing.com.au both of which have a bunch of really good guys who will put you on to whatever you want.
Shorediving in Oz is so convenient and in Sydney if you put the time in you can almost always get something for dinner and at the right time of year good Kingies(California Yellowtail) or Mulloway.
Bit up the coast and the number of species available increases and you can get better shots at marlin and wahoo and mackerel. Off of Sydney you can also get some great action on the FADS with Dolphin the main draw.
Youwill enjoy yourself i think. All the guys that I've dove with over the years there are great and up and down the coast you will meet keen guys and have some interesting diving. (A lot of the Australia section of the Wet Dreams video we shot diving frm shore)
Hope it works out for you and if you are really interested PM me and I'll give you some contacts when you get there.
Cameron K

www.Spearblog.com Stories, videos, how-to, pictures, and all out spearfishing lies from Cameron Kirkconnell

Team Riffe
SaltLife

www.youtube.com/user/cameronkirkconnell
blueh2oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
BoyntonBeachBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh2oboy
Freedive only... EVERYWHERE.
In the Sydney area there are a few clubs and a lot of really good guys there.
Thanks Blue20boy,

We are considering leaving in Sept and won't make a decision till summer time, but there seem to be a lot of positives to going over there. I spent three weeks over there in 2002 and love the way sydney is built around the water. Easy access everywhere. It is disapointing to think I won;t be able to put my new steel 120s to work, but there is always diving as a spectator sport I guess....

I will PM you closer to the dept date. Thanks,
Old 02-01-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
BoyntonBeachBum

what is the vis in sydney harbor and surrounding areas?
Old 02-01-2006, 08:07 PM   #6
rigdvr
Im a diver, not a thinker

it is legal on scuba in certain areas but not held in the highest regards.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:45 AM   #7
Judge

Hi,

There is quite a strong club scene in Sydney. The main forum used in Sydney is: www.extremespearfishing.com.au
Another one that is based in Brisbane but has plenty of Sydney activitiy is:
www.spearfishing.net.au.

Sydney harbour is very extensive. The vis up one end could be as less than a metre. (3ft) However down near the Sydney heads the vis can be up as high as 15 metres. Rain of course drops the vis right down.

At the moment we have beautiful warm blue water hitting much of NSWs coast. Vis today was excess of 25 metres. But this vis is very rare. The vis would average between 10 and 15 metres.

You won't have trouble finding people to spear fish with. My club has over 60 members : www.nsuc.com.au

Re: scuba? It is illegal to spear using any breathing apparatus except a snorkel in Sydney and all of NSW. It has been this way for so long that not many spearfishers have experienced anything different. Spearfishers generally think it is cheating and that the challenge is taking the fish while breath hold diving.
Regard,

Judge
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:55 PM   #8
BoyntonBeachBum

Hi Judge,

Thanks for the heads up on Sydney.

Moving to a new continent 24 hours via jetplane away from family and friends is a daunting undertaking. It would be great to meet some people via the club. I will be in touch when we get closer to making the move over.

Cheers,

Clovis
Old 02-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
Gillboy
www.spearfishing.com.au

Hi Clovis

The spearfishing in Australia is very diverse, I have some great contacts in Sydney if you need to get out for a dive. I run the largest spearfishing store in Australia, we can help you with any gear or advise you can check out our store on www.spearfishing.com.au.

The NSUC club Judge recomended is well established and is full of helpfull members.

There are plenty of sharks in Australia but it will depend on where you dive as to wether you will encounter them.

Hope your move goes well.

Robbie