Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #76
carrasco

Re: Palapas Ventana Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreyaldo View Post
Who goes to La Paz and demands a TV? Gotta love Americans.
Ok, forget the TV. Do you think that boats that don’t regularly break down is too much for a diver to ask for?

I guess you Frenchies are used to take it in the behind and smiling about it!

Every other nationality of consumer might take exception when feeling cheated but not you of course.

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #77
tommy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrasco View Post
Ok, forget the TV. Do you think that boats that don’t regularly break down is too much for a diver to ask for?

I guess you Frenchies are used to take it in the behind and smiling about it!

Every other nationality of consumer might take exception when feeling cheated but not you of course.
That statement might be considered "racist" by some... Hahaha.
But
Not me... I thought your use of Frenchie is pretty comical.... This society is way too PC for my old school way of thinking, ;0

Last edited by tommy7; 10-23-2019 at 07:10 PM.
tommy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:01 PM   #78
tommy7

Just a thought but maybe this video would have helped if you watched it before you went down... I mean with the t.v. and shopping part anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LGEiIL1__s
Old 10-26-2019, 06:22 AM   #79
PigStikr
The Stalker

La Paz, the capital of Baja California Sur state and a two-hour drive from Los Cabos, was ranked the sixth most-violent city in the world in the CCPSCJ study, despite having never previously appeared in the top 50 list.

in 2017, Los Cabos had a higher per capita homicide rate than any other city in the world, increasing by 500 per cent from the previous year to 365 killings.

Such is the high level of violence and inter-cartel feuding that increasing numbers of high-ranking Mexican drug traffickers are surrendering to US police for protection
Old 10-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #80
Mantarrayo

Los Cabos had a higher per capita homicide rate than any other city in the world

Suuure, and Tony Montana is alive too!! I live in Cabo man, and i dont care where you read or heard this, its complete bullshit lol..
Mantarrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:24 PM   #81
PigStikr
The Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantarrayo View Post

Los Cabos had a higher per capita homicide rate than any other city in the world

Suuure, and Tony Montana is alive too!! I live in Cabo man, and i dont care where you read or heard this, its complete bullshit lol..
That was in 2017. Crime went way down in 2018 in BCS, but way up in TJ in the el chapo power vacuum. Total BC homicides around 3150 for all of baja. From the official US gov. (osac) report:
Quote:
Crime is targeted and involves small criminal cells and independent operators. After Sinaloa leader Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán’s arrest and extradition to the U.S., CJNG infighting resulted. Street-level drug-trafficking crimes (narcomenudeo) between rival factions have grown and led to Baja California’s unprecedented 3,150 homicides in 2018, a 36% increase over 2017. Tijuana alone recorded 2,518 homicides in 2018.

Mexican government statistics reveal that the five Baja California municipalities – Tijuana, Mexicali, Ensenada, Rosarito, and Tecate – all had a record number of homicides in 2018. Mexicali and Rosarito recorded a slight increase in homicide, while Ensenada recorded a 29% increase and Tecate a 66% increase. All five municipalities reported a slight increase in reported rape, except for Rosarito. Robberies increased in Tijuana and Tecate. There was a decline in robberies for Mexicali, Ensenada, and Rosarito.

In Baja California Sur (BCS) the majority of U.S. interests are concentrated in Los Cabos and La Paz. BCS reported a significant 77% decrease in homicides in 2018, based on data from the Executive Secretariat of the National Public Security System. The murder rate is now below the national average.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #82
Mossback

There is crime everywhere.
Mossback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:20 AM   #83
saltierdog
proper use of a bait tank

Carrasco
In life as in spearfishing you gotta pay your dues show up and sometimes take charge of your situation. This is even more true when traveling abroad on a spearfishing trip. Tim is a creator of spearfishing dreams for many and a negotiator between the gringo and the locals in all things. I really can't tell you how many times I've shown up in other places sometimes on the other side of the planet (but countless times in Mex) when things just don't work out, people don't show up on time, things break down, or your stuck in life threatening pearl due to unanticipated weather complicating all the above and the coast guard isn't coming for you... Bottom line Tim would be there for his guests to get them out if things really were going bad.
and did I say...
timing is everything
better luck next time
and over all the following years in your spearfishing adventures

Quote:
I just returned from a trip with three days of diving and H&L fishing at Palapas Ventana.
For years I have been reading about the abundance of trophy fish to be had from a top-notch resort, with the best “maintained” fleet in baja.

Wrong... our boat was one of two boats that broke down in calm waters. We broke down two days out of three. And, when we jumped on another boat to go home, it runs out of gas!!!!
The owner graciously granted us a 10% inconvenience discount on the price of our “fishing” but he claims it was 20%. He uses funny math so watch out there too.

From the start:
1. If you don’t pay in cash, you pay 4% more but of course he doesn’t tell you til you run your credit card.

2. If there is a group larger than yours, then your group becomes less important service-wise (i.e., slow and ancient Mercury 2 stroke engine and an inexperienced captain to boot, wait staff anticipating a fatter tip neglect you).

3. There is no Television in the room so if you don’t support the “resort” by consuming drink, well then you’re SOL for unwinding in the room.

4. If you have religious dietary restrictions, who cares, they will give you pork!

5. The resort is far from anywhere and leaving requires a “tour.” But, a tour is anywhere from $80 to $130 so make sure you leave the women with lots of free cash. Otherwise, they are SOL too.

Make sure you are ready to hear, “well, thats why they call it fishing and not catching, ha ha ha”- when you are there three days and catch a total of 6 fish you could have caught in Catalina.

In case you read, “well the fish are deep,” the guide that dove with me an I hit 60-70 feet and saw nothing larger than 4 lbs.

My recommendation is no surprise- stay clear of this place. I am sure there are others who have had a great time but we spent over $5000 and returned super pissed!

Buyer beware!

Just Say No to GREENWASHING

Men stumble over the truth from time to time,
but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.

-- Winston Churchill

Last edited by saltierdog; 11-06-2019 at 12:36 AM.
saltierdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:57 AM   #84
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltierdog View Post
Carrasco
In life as in spearfishing you gotta pay your dues show up and sometimes take charge of your situation. This is even more true when traveling abroad on a spearfishing trip. Tim is a creator of spearfishing dreams for many and a I really can't tell you how many times I've shown up in other places sometimes on the other side of the planet (but countless times in Mex) when things just don't work out, people don't show up on time, things break down, or your stuck in life threatening pearl due to unanticipated weather complicating all the above and the coast guard isn't coming for you... Bottom line Tim would be there for his guests to get them out if things really were going bad.
and did I say...
timing is everything
better luck next time
and over all the following years in your spearfishing adventures

Saltier Dog,

in response to the first part of your post, the reason why we pay people like Tim and patronize such "reputable" operations is to avoid the type of drama you are describing. Otherwise, I would have saved a heap of cash by flying down, renting a hotel and hiring a panguero to take out my group.

As for the second part of your post... "Bottom line Tim would be there for his guests to get them out if things really were going bad." (and) ..."negotiator between the gringo and the locals in all things."

Your statements would only make sense if I had committed a crime and needed to be gotten out! No place in my thread did it say anything remotely close to that. I would expect that guest or not, wrongdoers would be turned in to answer for their crimes, whether here at home, or anywhere abroad. Covering up for guests is the same as committing a crime yourself.

What did you do?
Otherwise, I am at a loss as to the substance of your comment.

Anyway, I do quite well with my spearfishing and really never consider luck as having much to do with it.
Cheers right back!

Old 11-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #85
nilsonov

A side note on the area…since this has nothing to do with Palapas V….
Just got back with the fam from La Ventana (the town, not the spear/kite outfit). Amazing place, and definitely the fishiest I've ever seen in my travels. Also a million things to do besides TV if not spearing/kiting (La Paz(about 50 things to do here alone), whale shark tours, sea lion tours, whale tours, scuba, snorkeling, mountain spring hiking, mountain biking, more snorkeling, deserted beach exploring, deserted island exploring, and doing it all while enjoying the best food I’ve had in a while...it'd take months to really take in everything).

La Paz as a city was full of life at night and way more family friendly than your typical vacation town. Vast majority of tourists were mainlander Mexicans.
Did a tour with a reputable company with a newer 120HP Suzuki panga to swim with sea lions...about a 60 mile round trip. About 5 miles into return, prop starts slipping at anything over 4k revs, so we're stuck crawling at trolling speed enjoying the sun set. Shit happens, kids took a nap, got to know the other passengers, and recounted the great vac days.
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:10 AM   #86
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsonov View Post
A side note on the area…since this has nothing to do with Palapas V….
Just got back with the fam from La Ventana (the town, not the spear/kite outfit). Amazing place, and definitely the fishiest I've ever seen in my travels. Also a million things to do besides TV if not spearing/kiting (La Paz(about 50 things to do here alone), whale shark tours, sea lion tours, whale tours, scuba, snorkeling, mountain spring hiking, mountain biking, more snorkeling, deserted beach exploring, deserted island exploring, and doing it all while enjoying the best food I’ve had in a while...it'd take months to really take in everything).

La Paz as a city was full of life at night and way more family friendly than your typical vacation town. Vast majority of tourists were mainlander Mexicans.
Did a tour with a reputable company with a newer 120HP Suzuki panga to swim with sea lions...about a 60 mile round trip. About 5 miles into return, prop starts slipping at anything over 4k revs, so we're stuck crawling at trolling speed enjoying the sun set. Shit happens, kids took a nap, got to know the other passengers, and recounted the great vac days.
Wow!
1. 25 miles out to sea in a panga.
2. The sun is setting.
3. Your kids are with you.
4. You are told you have a slipping prop and have to crawl back to port for however long.

Are you really saying that you were not the least bit worried (even for your family) but instead just spent the time stargazing and exchanging tourist stories the whole time?
Ok, I guess in your case “shit happens!”

In our case however;
I say “F that”- one day breaking down of three maybe, but two days of breakdowns out of three days out I call BS!

By the sound of it, I guess that you would STILL just say “Oh well, Shit Happens?”

To each his own!

Last edited by carrasco; 11-18-2019 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #87
Powers
Dad

Angry.
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #88
tommy7

Rambo has good advice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnkQk_bWXpA
Old 11-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #89
saltierdog
proper use of a bait tank

Quote:
Saltier Dog,

in response to the first part of your post, the reason why we pay people like Tim and patronize such "reputable" operations is to avoid the type of drama you are describing. Otherwise, I would have saved a heap of cash by flying down, renting a hotel and hiring a panguero to take out my group.

As for the second part of your post... "Bottom line Tim would be there for his guests to get them out if things really were going bad." (and) ..."negotiator between the gringo and the locals in all things."

Your statements would only make sense if I had committed a crime and needed to be gotten out! No place in my thread did it say anything remotely close to that. I would expect that guest or not, wrongdoers would be turned in to answer for their crimes, whether here at home, or anywhere abroad. Covering up for guests is the same as committing a crime yourself.

What did you do?
Otherwise, I am at a loss as to the substance of your comment.

Anyway, I do quite well with my spearfishing and really never consider luck as having much to do with it.
Cheers right back!
There are no two parts to what I'm trying to say and I'm not talking about getting out of crimes
I pay guides and charters $$ to above all to get me back home to my family as I said the coast guard isn't coming for you when you leave our boarders
If you plan to go down to mex and just rent a panga on your own just make sure you are diving within swimming distance of the shore and make sure the guy is a member in good standing in the local co-op. I've been to mex and central america countless times and wish I had outfitters like Tim in all the places I've been. I guess you just gotta experience being in helpless hopeless situations to appreciate some things in life like working safety equipment and VHF radio with a command station on the other end with back up boats ready to rescue you.
But I wouldn't wish any of that on you or anyone for that matter
Perspective and wisdom just come with old age but sometimes discussion boards can help

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-book-extract

Just Say No to GREENWASHING

Men stumble over the truth from time to time,
but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.

-- Winston Churchill

Last edited by saltierdog; 11-18-2019 at 08:35 PM.
saltierdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #90
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltierdog View Post
There are no two parts to what I'm trying to say and I'm not talking about getting out of crimes
I pay guides and charters $$ to above all to get me back home to my family as I said the coast guard isn't coming for you when you leave our boarders
If you plan to go down to mex and just rent a panga on your own just make sure you are diving within swimming distance of the shore and make sure the guy is a member in good standing in the local co-op. I've been to mex and central america countless times and wish I had outfitters like Tim in all the places I've been. I guess you just gotta experience being in helpless hopeless situations to appreciate some things in life like working safety equipment and VHF radio with a command station on the other end with back up boats ready to rescue you.
But I wouldn't wish any of that on you or anyone for that matter
Perspective and wisdom just come with old age but sometimes discussion boards can help

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-book-extract
Good clarification. Moreover along those lines, I appreciate your Churchill quote which sums up why I posted this in the first place. The truth is that Palapa Ventana fell short of their promise to us and so, I posted about it.