Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2006 Tournament Archives > The 2006 Hell Divers Rodeo

The 2006 Hell Divers Rodeo This is the place to talk about the upcoming tournament, and post post tournament results and photos!

Old 06-08-2005, 07:40 AM   #1
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Wild sh!t

We had some wild shit happen while out diving.

I got confused about the laws and almost shot into a 400-500lb manta ray.

I got rubbed by a 6ft. shark that was more interested in tasting me rather than my fish.

But the best was, we had a boat captain running us all around the gulf while we kept our gear on jumping every structure we could find. We got some extra gear together and let him get in on one of the rigs. So I see him tooling around at 200ft. and tell Wil to get his ass up. Will yells at him, the guy, Scott Orfanello, and he hauls ass outside the rig. A marlin is approaching him straight on. The bill is coming right at him and behind that bill is a 16 ft. fish. So Scott does what any normal person would do,, tries to get closer so he can shoot the beast. Scott's shaft fell just inches short. But now he can say he shot at an 800lb Marlin before.

Rok out

DISCLAIMER: "My spearfishing is entirely legal in the geographic area within which I dive. If you don't like my pictures, posts or website then don't look. I will NOT waste any more bandwidth on this board (or my valuable drinking time) to argue with you ass clowns about it".

http://www.TheRokZone.com/

http://www.HellDivers.org/

Last edited by Louis Rossignol; 06-08-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Louis Rossignol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:39 PM   #2
LSUBigL

Send a message via AIM to LSUBigL
Re: Wild sh!t

Dang, that's insanity. What was he going to do, clip it off to the rig?

What are the regs on manta rays? Is there a size restriction or is it just plain illegal to shoot them?
LSUBigL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:07 PM   #3
Mobile Diver

More Cajun craziness; you guys amaze me.
305 849 0866
Mobile Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:59 PM   #4
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Other cool things happened also,

The first dive of the first day, I got to see a 100lb. Warsaw Grouper, the only problem was that I was at 230ft. and the grouper was at 300ft and not budging. Jerry Bourgeois tells me at the rodeo, "You should've gone and got him".

Mr. Jerry would have, I've dove with him several times in the last 20+ years.

The next dive I saw a 12 ft Hammerhead and he let me approach him pretty close. Those things usually run everytime I've ever seen them.

The whole weekend was a cameraman's dream.

Rok out

DISCLAIMER: "My spearfishing is entirely legal in the geographic area within which I dive. If you don't like my pictures, posts or website then don't look. I will NOT waste any more bandwidth on this board (or my valuable drinking time) to argue with you ass clowns about it".

Old 06-08-2005, 04:46 PM   #5
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Rossignol
The next dive I saw a 12 ft Hammerhead and he let me approach him pretty close. Those things usually run everytime I've ever seen them.
You should've gone and got him
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #6
Stinkey Fish

Stan the Man would of punched down and brought it up dead. Louis your not thinking right !!!
Stinkey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:48 PM   #7
inletsurf

Damn, that's a lot of excitement!
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:49 PM   #8
Wil
Hell Diver

yeh Rok, i think if Scott would have waited for that Marlin to come to us instead of charging after him, he would have at least 2 shafts in his ass maybe three because Mark was coming in stealth from the right. When we got back on the boat we all must have been thinking the same thing, put a shaft in his head, hopefully stone him or at least stun him long enough to tie him off and get some more guns and finish the job, if the riding rigs held. Man that was some wild shit.We may have to return to that rig at a later time and see if the bruser is still around, we may get a second chance.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:25 PM   #9
narcosis

When you hunt at 230', are you using trimix, do you carry the extra bottles or hang them, and how long are your bottom and deco times?
Old 06-09-2005, 04:37 PM   #10
Nsearch

NARCOSIS....these guys are hitting those depths on AL 80's with air. Think of your screen name
Old 06-09-2005, 08:17 PM   #11
narcosis

Nsearch-

Do they just drop down, take a shot and then drag the fish up without putting it on the stringer?

Which brings me to another question that someone may be able to answer:
How fast can you safely ascend between 200 and 100 feet. I was certified 20 years ago, and haven't taken any advanced courses (except nitrox) even though I dive all the time. I used to think that you could double your ascent rate for every atmosphere you obtained in depth, but recently read somewhere that speedy ascents, even at the 120-140ft range can cause microbubbles that are like the baby bends.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:32 PM   #12
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

The Rok guide to deep diving say's, drink alot (when you're not diving) and you never know if you're narked out.
Next haul ass to whatever depth you want to be at. If you go past 200 when you decide to come up, blast up to 100, then slow down till you hit 50,, stop for a minute ( hunt mangroves and barracudas) then move up to 20,,, stay there for a couple of minutes,,depending on how cold the river water is at that time of the year. Then get up to 10ft.
The ol' "Bendomatic" after a few minutes will start to come down a little, when it does, you can feel safe, you will live.
The Bedomatic is an S.O.S. docomputer, meter that is older than most divers right now, made in Italy. The one I have now is JB Welded back together because it blew up from going too deep. I also have a brand new in the box one in my closet.
Then when you get on the boat, if you feel any pain, 2 excedrins and a Michelobe Ultra will do the trick, skindive for 1 hr. and do it again.

We don't spend any time at depth unless we can't control an unruly fish. The idea is to kick their asses fast. That is how to "bounce dive".

Rok out

p.s. I know yall are gonna knock my shit but the Hell Divers were using these when I got in the club, as long as people followed the meter, they never got bent. From what I know, the world record cave dive was done by a guy using one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAAA00067.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	18040   Click image for larger version

Name:	AAAA00056.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	18041   Click image for larger version

Name:	AAAA00034.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	18042  

Last edited by Louis Rossignol; 06-10-2005 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:42 PM   #13
dagodiver
Wreck Diver

If it aint broke dont fix it..!!
Sounds like it works fine to me.
Great report..!! You guy are fknnutz, keep typing the reports..!

Thanks

Dago.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:54 PM   #14
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

As a rule, me and my crew make 4 deep dives in a day, then we dive 100ft. for the rest of the day ending up in 60 ft. of water. Hopefully by the time we get in shallow, you are fully decompressed. We will however make up to 15 or more dives in a day. 3 days in the HD Rodeo, we made 37 dives and burned around 18 tanks a man.

Rok out

Old 06-09-2005, 10:03 PM   #15
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

As I understand it, if you dive on an AL80s, you don't "camp out" at depth, and you make it to the surface, then you should be fine.

It's only the guys on nitrox, on steel tanks, camping out, breathing deco gas, etc. that get in trouble.

You guys Rok!

I won't argue with the philosophy as it works for you. There is so much stuff to see and shoot (if you dare) there.

The people are so nice that I have to do it at least once a year. It is worth the drive. It is truly the wild west of spearfishing given what I saw.

Rok: Congrats on your AJ SBO open win! Hope to do the HDR some year although I don't know how I could ever be competitive with the way you guys dive.

I can't think of a better place to dive. Hope to hook up with more of you guys the next time that I am there so that we can party in Rock Bottom's houseboat.
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote