Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Photos > Spearfishing Photos

Spearfishing Photos Use this area as your "Brag Board," posting photos of your haul.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #16
Ron S

Re: Bloodbath in Paradise

OK, I'll "bite". If they taste terrible, but you're selling them for $1.40/lb, then who's buyin it and what are they doin with it?
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:47 PM   #17
drsmileybee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S
OK, I'll "bite". If they taste terrible, but you're selling them for $1.40/lb, then who's buyin it and what are they doin with it?
Ron.
Just take a wild guess.....

Bloodworks
<>< Custom Spearguns <><
drsmileybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #18
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Selling it as gator?
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:32 PM   #19
Bayou

You need to think a little more on the darker side...the Louisiana boys will understand.
Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:32 PM   #20
KJNDIVER
Mmm... taste like chicken

Send a message via AIM to KJNDIVER Send a message via MSN to KJNDIVER Send a message via Yahoo to KJNDIVER

Quote:
Ron.

Thats just personal preference or opinion that they taste terrible. I know many people that love it, myself included. Are there better tasting fish out there? Absolutely. But this fish does not deserve the "fried diesel turd" reputation that most give it. Most toss it to the "urban community" for laughs at the trash they will eat. But all the old time cajuns I know would love to have a fish like these. Most of the younger generation believes its trash. I guess the old saying is true, ones mans trash is another mans treasure. Kinda like you FLA boys eating mullet when most kjn's use it only as crab bait, and then its not the first choice for that either.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:51 PM   #21
Ron S

Hmm, sounds like gar have a similar reputation to carp out here. Most don't eat it, but those that do really enjoy it. I used to look at crawfish the same way until a co-worker from down south talked us into a crawdad dive in one of our high Sierra lakes. We then went back to the house for a crawdad feed and I've been hooked ever since. Just had another one last week while camping with the family at a local lake. Invited a couple co-workers to the site for dinner and we stuffed ourselves while the inlaws were disgusted...
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #22
Wil
Hell Diver

Quote:
Ron.

actually, they taste pretty good. when i do fix them what i do is run the fish through a grinder, mix with with bread crumbs add whatever seasonings you may like and eitheir make Gar balls or patties and fry like a burger. it does taste pretty good. but trying to get Louis to try it is like giving a 14 year old an ennima at home in front the whole family, just wont happen. so i sell to an old boy who drives a fish truck from whereever. i hjave no idea where or who he sells to. so to answer everyones question we do not waste these fish.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:50 PM   #23
greg1

1.40 is kind of pricey to end up as farm feed, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got sent to our Canadian neighbors and ground up into catfood.

I've heard of guys getting about 1.40 for yellowfin before. The tunas were jumping in the boat and the fish house didn't have enough buyers so they offered them about 1.50/ lb (no head, no fins) and sent them north to be ground up. I'll bet those canucks were surprised when they saw what they had gotten.

http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/gallery.asp?gallery=848
greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #24
Don B

Good "CoonAss" an make anything taste great. Gar balls done right are excellent.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:31 PM   #25
bottomnout

nothin like some tasty balls
bottomnout is offline   Reply With Quote